AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-04-13 21:40:35

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Jersey Baby (and a girl!!!)

Born at 11:56 am April 13
the picture is about 10 minutes after she was born. First-time mom
Mom is purebred Jersey, dad is AI Swedish Red...

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/cathyjk/4e34a84d-a70f-4d52-8f25-3cb4708e9a1a_zpslpy89lmt.jpg

#2 2017-04-13 21:42:08

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Jersey Baby (and a girl!!!)

Fantastic!

Beautiful calf and lovely barn too.  Lucky they are inside, it is snowing/raining here, and very cold.  The Highland calves are bopping around the pasture but so far no new ones today.  Just as well!

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#3 2017-04-13 22:33:36

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Lovely pair!

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#4 2017-04-14 01:45:13

niglefritz

:wine" I love Jerseys. The babies are so beautiful!

It is a GIRL!? You hit the jackpot. So often it is a bull. So happy for you! wozhoo

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#5 2017-04-14 03:05:31

susanr

:congrats:  How wonderful!

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#6 2017-04-14 03:24:06

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Much thanks. I am super pleased it was a girl!

Her mom was AI'ed and bya Swedish Red Bull named Cigar (such a bad name for a bull)... a

Swedish Red is a robust and healthy dairy cow, with an excellent fertility, health and tremendous calving ease. In addition to that Swedish Red is the only Red breed in the world that can compete with Holsteins when it comes to production (not that I am looking for holstein volume!!)

The Swedish Red cow is a red medium sized cow, about 140 cm tall and about 550 kg mature weight. Swedish Red is successfully used as a breed improver not only in other red populations world wide, but also for cross breeding with Holstein to improve fertility, calving ease and udder health.

#7 2017-04-15 16:03:45

niglefritz

Interesting. Do you know how they compare with other dairy breeds for cream content?

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#8 2017-04-21 00:53:06

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

niglefritz wrote:

Interesting. Do you know how they compare with other dairy breeds for cream content?

The goal of the Red cows is to increase fat and protein content.

We are using the Viking Red (Swedish Red, Cigar)  bull to cross breed with our Jersey to hopefully improve some health traits like reducing ketosis and mastitis.

The Swedish Red, Finnish Ayrshire and Danish Red breeds are now grouped as one breed, called VIKING RED. There is a big overlap in bloodlines between the three original breeds and the three countries decided that they can make even greater progress in future years if they work together as one breed.

The Swedish Red and Finnish Ayrshire breeds do not have any Holstein blood, however there is some Holstein blood in the Danish Red breed - but only bulls that are 12.5% or less Holstein will be accepted as Viking Reds.

Viking Reds are medium sized, robust and healthy cattle, with excellent fertility and calving ease. They can compete with Holsteins with regard to production and their milk also has a very high fat and protein content. The Viking Red is one of the best breeds in the world when it comes to calving ease and they have low somatic cell counts and a high resistance to mastitis.

Viking reds are being used in crossbreeding to enhance herd health and fertility, with the additional advantage from heterosis that results from cross breeding.

#9 2017-04-21 10:01:54

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Wonderful news and such a sweet looking pic.  Mom looks so attentive.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

Board footer