AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-08-24 12:14:23

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Rigor questions............

I very rarely eat any of our chickens, but I am going to have to cull a young hen for nasty behaviour.  My question is, what to do about rigor? Can I do the deed and cook the chicken right away, before rigor sets in (how long does that take? ) Or is it better to let the chicken sit in the fridge for a while before cooking (how long? ) I don't think the chicken needs brining, she's only 8 weeks old. I was planning on roasting.  Any advice is appreciated- I am a lousy cook. Thanks! :-)

Last edited by Robbie (2017-08-24 12:15:13)

#2 2017-08-24 14:06:31

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Rigor questions............

I find that they get pretty stiff within 15 minutes of killing. We try not to kill too far ahead of plucking for that reason. Then it takes 4 - 6 hrs in ice water to loosen up. Some people leave overnight. But we've found if you cook or freeze right after killing they can be tough.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#3 2017-08-24 15:05:25

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Rigor questions............

Ok thanks Shane I will do the deed earlier in the day then and let it sit in the fridge. I am not fast enough to clean up a chicken in fifteen minutes and it would be a shame if it were too tough. So tonight, grilled cheese sandwiches- chicken, tomorrow!

Board footer