AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-12-22 06:51:27

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Fowler's puzzle throwdown

So Fowler claims that Cobblehill makes the best puzzles? On what do you base this claim, Sir Fowler?

When I was homeschooling the kid one of the things I indulged in was puzzles and every now and then I would buy a Ravensburger. I like their picture choice, they had good size choices and most of all I appreciated their MATTE finish on the puzzle pieces. If there is one thing that drives me batty (now that I'm blind and use cheaters for everything) is the glare coming off a gloss finish puzzle piece. Man that drives me nuts and puzzle makers ought to be (insert appropriate medieval torture) for making high gloss puzzles!

We also have some shaped puzzles, a dragon and a ladybug. We even went through a 3D puzzle phase, remember when Hub and the kid made a 3D Millenium Falcon that hung, atrociously, in her bedroom for years until one day I accidentally on purpose beat the ugly thing to death with a broom handle while trying to remove a tenacious cobweb. These things happen.

I have a large piece of sturdy cardboard dedicated to puzzle making and it lives all year behind the sofa. Then we pull it out, dust it off, set the pieces on it on the living room table. If I need to remove it, the whole thing slides neatly out of the way under to sofa.

Fowler's post reminded me that here it is, the 21, and no puzzle is out. We usually do one every Christmas. Mind you, I have been pretty darn sick and now the other two are bathroom bound. There is a bug loose in the house!

I don't hold on to much stuff, but I do have puzzles that I have not let go of. Maybe we need a puzzle exchange? Of course shipping a puzzle by Canada Post costs more than just buying a new one. But still, trading is more funner.

So, Fowler, I see your Cobblehill and raise you a Ravensberger. Take that!

(everyone, post your puzzle pieces. Get it? Pieces? Oh my gord I'm so funny!)

#2 2017-12-22 13:09:33

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Re: Fowler's puzzle throwdown

I avoid puzzle throwdowns at all costs.  It infuriates the makers and is a sure-fire way to lose pieces!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#3 2017-12-22 16:58:17

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

BAH!  Before I found CobbleHill I bought an expensive known name (it may well have been Ravensberger).  Total crap puzzle.  The pieces didn't fit well.  Had to carefully not move that thing as you worked on it or it would all come apart.  Then, at the end, there was a piece missing and it wasn't lost by us.

Now, with CobbleHill, the pieces fit well together.  Great pictures to choose from and all different skill levels.  There are even 'Family' puzzles with different sized pieces (young children can put together the big ones while the adults work on the million pieces of sky).

Black Ameraucana

#4 2017-12-22 19:08:35

AuntieEvil
Website

The worst puzzles are the Polaroid ones. The pieces are small, exactly the same shape, don't snap tight and are glossy like a polished mirror. Enough to make a person snap!
I like the wooden puzzles with the handles on the top *(0)*

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#5 2017-12-22 21:27:42

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

AuntieEvil, I do enjoy those puzzles with the little handles glued to each piece.

Fowler, if you got a lousy Ravensberger, it was a fluke. Every puzzle press operator can have a bad day, or a bad blade.

But there are puzzles that purposely don't fit together well or purposely come with 7 extra pieces that you don't need to use but ha ha, try and figure that out! Pure evil!

I have seen special puzzle mats that you roll up, with the puzzle and all loose pieces still on them, stash in a tube until you want to set again. After piecing that huge, 3 foot long dragon puzzle, I don't imagine it would lend itself well to being rolled up. Has anyone used one of these roll-away puzzle mats? How well do they work?

Sue? Sidestepping a throwdown? Are you unwell?

We once had a fellow staying with us for whom puzzle setting was a competitive sport and he was so determined to be the guy to set the last piece in place that he would hide pieces when he went to work! Turd. We uninvited him from anymore puzzle setting.

#6 2017-12-22 22:12:25

Schipperkesue
Administrator

We have a 700 square foot house and we live with 6 indoor cats and a multitude of dogs.  I enjoy puzzles but at the moment they are not a good lifestyle choice.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#7 2017-12-23 00:34:24

niglefritz

AuntieEvil wrote:

The worst puzzles are the Polaroid ones. The pieces are small, exactly the same shape, don't snap tight and are glossy like a polished mirror. Enough to make a person snap!
I like the wooden puzzles with the handles on the top *(0)*

Ooh..ooh...we have lots of those here...farms, abc's & 123, oceans...

I am NOT a puzzle fan. I have to keep putting pieces in until it is done.  I have to win. griznsnguznz I find them extremely stressful. This is the only table top "game" that I have that relationship with. I am glad that I figured that out with a smaller puzzle. I don't do puzzles. I do scrabble. :D

For my mom, who is an avid puzzler, we bought a two sided, baby faces repeated (absurdly repeated) puzzle, I no longer remember how many pieces...many 1000s...to announce our first baby very many years ago. She and other friends who bragged about their huge puzzle accomplishments (never met a puzzle I never completed) never finished it. It was declared un-put-togetherable by quite a few.

Now there is a new word for you, I bet, Uno!

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#8 2017-12-23 07:16:34

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Niglefritz. my mom is a dedicated Scrabble player. She plays online with friends too. Do you do online Scrabble? Myself, I prefer Boggle to Scrabble but I have played many Scrabble games over the years.

#9 2017-12-23 10:19:18

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

I enjoy puzzles too.  The problem is space.  I don't have enough to leave a half finished puzzle sitting on a table somewhere.  We also have 2 babies that crawl around and find all kinds of things.  I don't want them to choke on a puzzle piece.   I have been spending some time here.    https://thejigsawpuzzles.com/  I get my "puzzle fix" and the pieces are never lost.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#10 2017-12-23 16:17:55

niglefritz

No, Uno, I don't play it online. I prefer touching the pieces and putting them on the board. There is just something different to it...kind of like reading a book online or in traditional book form.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#11 2018-01-05 17:18:05

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

uno wrote:

AuntieEvil, I do enjoy those puzzles with the little handles glued to each piece.

Fowler, if you got a lousy Ravensberger, it was a fluke. Every puzzle press operator can have a bad day, or a bad blade.

But there are puzzles that purposely don't fit together well or purposely come with 7 extra pieces that you don't need to use but ha ha, try and figure that out! Pure evil!

I have seen special puzzle mats that you roll up, with the puzzle and all loose pieces still on them, stash in a tube until you want to set again. After piecing that huge, 3 foot long dragon puzzle, I don't imagine it would lend itself well to being rolled up. Has anyone used one of these roll-away puzzle mats? How well do they work?

Sue? Sidestepping a throwdown? Are you unwell?

We once had a fellow staying with us for whom puzzle setting was a competitive sport and he was so determined to be the guy to set the last piece in place that he would hide pieces when he went to work! Turd. We uninvited him from anymore puzzle setting.

I'm not certain that it was Ravensberger.  I only know that it was a puzzle name I recognized and there would only be a couple.  In any event, I've been happy with CobbleHill ever since (plus it's a Canadian company).

The puzzle mats work pretty good.

Hiding puzzle pieces?  Very poor puzzle etiquette.

Black Ameraucana

#12 2018-01-06 03:59:23

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I know! People don't raise polite puzzlers like previous parents. Pathetic.

Board footer