AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-12-31 10:39:58

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

The end of the year and weather

Well, today is the last day of 2017 and in Ontario, we are under an extreme cold warning.  The end of the year is brining the coldest air temperatures of 2017.   We have actually broken some cold temperature records.   I know that it gets colder in a few other Provinces but, we have the dampness too.  Our nephew was here visiting his parents and was complaining about how cold it was here.  He never realized that the moisture in the air would make such a difference.  2017 will go down in my books as one of the very strangest years ever, regarding weather.   We really didn't have a summer and only got some nice weather in September, but that was short lived.   The cold arrived early this year as well.  Snow levels are not too bad as yet, just that darn cold that chills to the bone and makes it difficult to feel warm.   

Many of the New Year's Eve celebrations have been cancelled or scaled down due to the frigid temps.  I hope that as 2017 leaves, it takes the wonky weather with it.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#2 2017-12-31 14:46:34

niglefritz

Re: The end of the year and weather

We have had extreme cold with windchills since Dec. 23. We made it down to -48 at one point. The highs are not pleasant either. It is continuing here for a bit yet. Monday the highs are supposed to get a bit better, but fluctuate a bit until possibly Thursday when they are calling -10. No mention of windchill yet of course, but it won't be so bad at that temperature anyway.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: silkies, sp. sussex ; Runners: Black, fawn & white hens; Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#3 2017-12-31 16:24:47

bnu
Growing Member

Living in a colder part of Canada, I have often heard how it's actually colder feeling where most people live (southern Ontario) because of humidity. Perhaps today is an exception but I thought I would check today's reality. Windsor (farthest south Ontario) is -12 and 62% humidity. Winnipeg (often called our cold capital) is -30 and 68% humidity. Here it is -34 and 69% humidity.
Have a great 2018 everyone.

#4 2017-12-31 16:51:00

susanr

We are experiencing record cold temps - some days not including windchills.  Critters are not liking it much - the chickens in particular.  Even though they are dry & warm, they are on strike.  The doxies aren't willing to go outside for long - glad they are willing to at least go outside.  I have to take Bonnie out as she still needs her sling - one back leg is still not functioning, the other back leg is slowly getting some movement.  Forecast is for this bitterly cold weather to move off next week.  Once it does, it will feel like spring after what we have had.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#5 2017-12-31 17:25:17

niglefritz

Bnu, I have often heard the same. Humidity does make it feel colder. Winnipeg often boasts about itself being so cold, but we have seen it be consistently much colder where we are, 3 hours west of the city. The further north you go of course, the colder it will be too.

I am thankful for a warm place to be, in from the cold.

Susanr, your weather is pretty much our weather. The animals here are coping okay. The dog & cats want to play. :confused: craazeee But...they have a place to get in from the breezes and our dog (Norwegian Elkhound) is built for exactly this type of weather.

Hang in there. We will be out of it soon! That will be a treat!

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: silkies, sp. sussex ; Runners: Black, fawn & white hens; Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#6 2018-01-01 15:34:35

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Same here -34c and 69% humidity.  Coldest night we've had and of course our furnace quit in the night. I was up at 4am replacing the thermocouple. Luckily I had a spare because it's happened before. The original factory one lasted at least 10 years. Since then I've had to replace them every 4 or 5 years. This one made it almost 4 years and it's a Honeywell same as the controls. A cold start to 2018.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#7 2018-01-01 16:23:51

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

We woke to no water this morning.  The pressure switch will freeze in the heated well house if the space heater is not running next to the tank.  This only happens when it is about -20.  I turned the heater off the other day figuring it was warm enough, but made an early morning trip with a heat gun.  Happy Years everyone.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#8 2018-01-02 17:32:01

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

-7c here this am and it feels like heaven

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#9 2018-01-03 00:12:09

La Farmer Gal

1°C here today! Celebrating the exit of yesterday's -30°C. The birds will be so happy with this week's predicted above 0 temperatures.

They stayed out in the trees every night until we brought them in when the temps dipped below -20°C at night and put them into cold-weather lock down.

Buff Orpingtons, Lavender Orpington, Barred Plymouth Rocks, Rhode Island Reds, and a few mixies.

#10 2018-01-03 00:30:13

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

-34.8 for Brockville on New years Day! It's been like this for the last week.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#11 2018-01-03 00:51:09

yardbirds
Administrator

Here is a little something to turn up the heat.... coozlz

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#12 2018-01-03 10:40:58

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

I'm so ready for spring weather.  I'd rather put up with the mud than this bitter cold.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#13 2018-01-05 17:43:19

Deltamaq
Growing Member

Ah the benefits of the far north. We have been above -15 and clear for the south's cold spell, supposed to start getting colder (-37) next week. Tomorrow the sun should be visible above the horizon for a few minutes so longer days are gradually coming.
Egg production has gone from 2 a day before Christmas to 10 a day since New Years. A few of the July hatch have started contributing while the August girls will need a few more weeks. Time to start thinking about separating breeders from egg production staff.

#14 2018-01-05 17:49:02

susanr

Yay - glad the sun is gradually making an appearance your way Deltamaq.  Good to see your hens are starting to produce quite well.  Hope they keep it up when the temps drop.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

Board footer