AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-01-04 23:22:49

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Choosing your main guy.

What do you value most in your rooster?

I have 5 roosters right now and they can't all stay.

My oldest gray guy..he's okay. But he's very skittish and borders on wild personality. A trait I detest. I will not keep wild, frantic, spastic, stupid birds. So his days are numbered.

That leaves the 4 young guys.

One black guy with a regular, single comb. He looks like an Australorp although its been a long time since any pure Australorp birds were here. He is OUT on the basis of the large, frost bite getting comb. I want small combs.

Second black guy. He has a small comb with three rows of points. Like a weird crown. I might keep him.

THe young gray guy, also with a small comb. I might keep him too because I am liking my gray chickens. I have quite a few grays and plae grays that I like to imagine are lavender.

THen there is the whilte guy. How on earth did I get a white chicken in this last hatch? In fact, I had 3! They grew quicker and larger than their gray and black hatch mates. Two of them were roosters and they were the most friendly, curious, galumphy clowns. Sadly the one rooster developed what looked like a hunchback. Either a deformity of the hip or spine, I could not tell for sure. Hub put him down but it was sad because he was quite a pet. That left one white rooster and one white hen.

THe white roo is white, and cream, with gray flecks. A mess, really. Small comb. Huge. Uncoordinated. He has been booted out of the group and spends his days alone, not daring to venture near the hens or the food or the water or else the other guys beat him up. I was going to dispatch him because I do not want white birds. And yet... I have a soft spot for the underdog. I value HIGHLY the personality and temperament of my birds. It would be nice if they laid eggs too, but you can't have everything. I am thinking more and more of keeping this guy, just cause I like him. He might even introduce some size and maybe his offspring will reach a size that's worth eating (ha ha, I immediately laughed when I said that!).

So here I am thinking about keeping a rooster who is wrong in every way, other than seeming to have a gentle personality, which is extremely important to me.  What do you value in a rooster and how do you decide to keep or cull?

#2 2018-01-04 23:51:17

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Choosing your main guy.

Very simply with my last rooster I had a pretty chap picked out but the girls didn't like him and cozied up to a brahma cross guy. So I kept him to please them and he is terrific, attentive and kind to the ladies and gentle with people. He pays special attention to the girls who were broody. He is very alert and always keeps an eye on things so I guess they were right LOL! He is my free ranger alarm rooster for the layer girls, my other boy is my Wyandotte sire so he was selected for SOP traits.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#3 2018-01-05 01:43:27

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Keep the white one.   Temperament trumps colour, in my flock,  any day! A good colour can't fix an idiot but you can always fix the colour in later generations of nice chicks  :thumbsup:

#4 2018-01-05 02:31:22

susanr

I have one Dorking rooster in the hen house with the girls.  He is gentle and kind.  In the rooster house, there is one that I am considering keeping.  He is a curious fellow, hasn't been nasty at all and he has a small comb with rows of points.  Sort of like the one black one you have uno.  He is a mix of colors and looks quite nice.  If he stays a curious, calm fellow, I will keep him.  The others in the roo house are going into jars at some point.  I also prefer temperament over beauty.  Around our place the rule is "be nice or be tasty".

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#5 2018-01-05 06:53:22

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Be nice or be tasty...:LOLOLOL:

#6 2018-01-05 12:26:49

Journey's End

I hatch a bunch of chicks each year. In the fall I start putting cockerels in the freezer. Since I usually have 20-40 I can be choosy. I start with the ugly ones and white ones (I don't like white birds), except this year I kept one white guy because he's gorgeous. Keeps himself very clean and has a stature I look for in a rooster.. Then I knock off the small ones since I raise them to eat as well. then the meanish ones. Anyone showing aggression to me goes. Of the ones left I go through colors and knock off any duplicates, keeping the small/rose/ pea combs for the same reason as you. Then it gets hard. he ones left as usually so pretty and friendly I can't decide, but decide I must. By then it's about preference color wise. This year I kept 7 roosters.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#7 2018-01-05 16:34:46

niglefritz

:iagree:
Sounds like something great method.

We have not had any aggressive roosters here with three exception of one little silkie...but we were able to curb his aggression successfully. Generally, bad attitudes will not stay. If it shows, it will be dealt with. We have too many little kids here.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#8 2018-01-05 19:43:19

AuntieEvil
Website

Here I was expecting a dating site...

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#9 2018-01-05 22:53:14

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

If you are breeding for something specific then the one that best fits your goal. If you're just keeping pets then the one you like the best. And the same goes for pullets.  I do something similar to Journeys. Because I'm trying for specific colours the first to go are off colour. Then I want size so small even if they are good colour go unless I don't have a choice. I don't want roosters who go around beating everyone up so aggressive have to go. From the ones that are left I decide who's No. 1 and band him plus I keep 2 or 3 extra to make sure something doesn't happen to number 1. The rest go over the winter so that by spring I've only the 3 or 4 replacements. I then compare to the older No. 1 and decide who will ultimately stay or go. I usually have at least 2 roosters in each pen, sometimes 3 or 4.

After all that there are always exceptions. I have an odd colour, kind of cream with dark grey shoulders and hackle that I kept even though I don't know what to do with him. I also kept a Blue Partridge rooster which I wasn't going to breed but he's a nice quiet guy, never bothers anyone, minds his own business. Those go in the miscellaneous pen.

What's painful is when I get one that's really nice, friendly, easy going but maybe something like a bad comb and I have to cull him. That's always a but sad. But I've only got so much room.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#10 2018-01-06 04:06:07

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I also struggle with limited room. But it never fails if I get down to just one rooster, one that I really like, something's going to eat him, and I don't mean us. Two roosters means, hopefully, that you have a plan B when plan A becomes dinner for a coyote, bear, hawk, owl, bobcat, raccoon...the list goes on. Or, as was the case this year, 20 feet of a tree breaks off, plummets through the pen and squishes someone. Not that anyone was squished, but the top 20 feet of a fir tree did destroy the pen. Ugh.

#11 2018-01-06 14:32:31

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Having just one rooster makes me very nervous too!

#12 2018-01-06 16:36:33

niglefritz

I was told by the guy who started us in birds, to always keep 2 roosters.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#13 2018-01-06 16:51:10

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I agree, keep two  - I'd keep the white one and the grey one, just because I find black roosters suddenly make all the chicks black which I find dull in large numbers and hard to sell.

It always seems if you only have one rooster it up and dies almost immediately.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#14 2018-01-07 01:15:13

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Should do like the Royals, an heir and a spare. That's 3.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#15 2018-01-09 17:34:55

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

The heir, the spare and that one over there.

Black Ameraucana

Board footer