AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-01-07 12:42:00

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

Fox or coyote?

Hello

Woke up to my 10 ducks gone only a few feathers and a few  drops of blood remained. Looked everywhere but cannot find them. Found some small canine tracks. They did not even touch the geese. What could it be a fox or a coyote? We do not normally have predators but I guess due to the extreme weather they are needing food and searching farther than usual. Looks like only one or two animals at the most. Im sad

Mom to 2 wonderful boys, a White Boxer, an English Mastiff, 3 cats, mixed ducks,  2 geese, 3 Bourbon Red Turkeys and many varieties of free ranging chickens -Ahhhh Life is Grand!!

#2 2018-01-07 14:39:07

susanr

Re: Fox or coyote?

Sounds like fox to me.  So sorry it found your ducks :crying:

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2018-01-08 00:39:33

niglefritz

Those foxes love to target ducks! We have lost many ducks in particular to a couple of foxes. They can be so brazen!

Make sure any holes are less than 2". They can squeeze through that. They dig & can climb well, so keep that in mind as well.

We have been fortunate not to have coyotes steal anything.

It sounds very much like a fox, but I have a friend who had the same thing happen to her and it was, in the end, a coyote. It went after her geese this winter and a few special chickens.

We're the tracks small? If they were cat sized or a touch larger, then it could be a fox. A coyote has larger tracks.

Try these sites to help you identify them:
http://www.wildthingsultd.org/publicati … ion-guide/
https://www.conservationminnesota.org/n … -the-snow/
http://telemarknordic.com/wp-content/up … d-Fox.jpeg

I hope you can solve this mystery before any more birds are lost.

I feel so sorry for you. I know what it feels like to lose so many at one time. :aww:

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#4 2018-01-08 11:19:22

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Awful, sorry to hear. Yes it sounds like a fox.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#5 2018-01-08 15:11:38

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I have lost birds to both foxes and coyotes.  The fox took one a day, the coyote wiped out huge numbers at a time.

Track ID is your best bet.  Once everyone was tightly locked up I had no more losses.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#6 2018-01-08 15:36:21

PLB
Growing Member

dont be to hard on foxes. in all my life of raising all forms of birds. over 60 years. iv only had 3 fox kill birds. you have to get that fox cause its figured out they are part of its dinner menu . most walk by without paying any attention. they want mice.the first fox was my fault. id just move here and had over 100 birds running around under a pasture spruce covered field. the next one couldnt say why. the third was being fed by some folks who thought it was cool to tame a wild creature. we are polluted with coyotes never had any problem . now we come to a real predator , your neighbors dog. worst thing ever. i live on a river and a mink farm is up river, they kill everything if they get in. iv lost more to these and dogs.

Last edited by PLB (2018-01-08 15:40:23)

A society grows great when old men and women plant trees in whose in shade they know they shall never sit in.

#7 2018-01-08 16:30:01

niglefritz

We had an opportunity to buy a farm 1/2 mile from a mink farm. This place had 2 beautiful attached barns (one hip roofed & one Ontario style) and a really nice old yard with loads of potential. Now we are glad that we didn't move there. After having a mink kill here, I would have been totally devastated if any mink got loose and made their way to our place. Somehow I don't think it would be just once in a while, as they are slick. We figured that there has got be escapees, and moving that close would just be asking for trouble.

We had one fox who took out 5 mature muscovy drakes within 2 hours in the middle of the day when we were outside & the dog was loose...and it left no trace.

My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#8 2018-01-08 23:49:34

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

I had a fox this spring take several chickens.  I snuck up on her with the paintball gun and turned her bright yellow.  She let out a yip and hasn't been at the chickens again.  She does come around at first light, stays about an hour looking for mice and heads down towards the Village.  About 9 am she comes back and heads up towards Cherry Hill.  As long as I remember her routine, I can keep the chickens locked up till she's gone.  The last 2 days there has been a dog fox, a male, and as the chickens are locked up 24/7 with this cold, I don't know how it's going to go with him yet when he has pups to feed come May and June.  Does your duck eater have a routine you can work around?
One whose routine you know will stake out the territory as theirs and keep the rest away.  Sorry about your ducks:aww::aww:

#9 2018-01-09 13:36:47

AuntieEvil
Website

:crying:
That is sad you lost all your ducks. I hope you the who behind it, so no more follow the first.

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#10 2018-01-10 15:57:38

PLB
Growing Member

i like the paintball idea jocelyn. my son in law approched DNR about running problem bears with hounds, treeing them and shoot them with a paintball gun. DNR refused and tells folke to shoot with a 22 just behind the front shoulder. thats a lung shot with the idea being they will wander off and die in the woods somewhere. not in the blueberry field. the paint ball and hound chase paint on the critter next time he returns(if ever) then shoot it dead not wound it and let it die.

Last edited by PLB (2018-01-10 17:11:19)

A society grows great when old men and women plant trees in whose in shade they know they shall never sit in.

#11 2018-01-11 10:20:18

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

Yes the track were just slightly larger than a cat. Because of the wind and the snow that we had...overnight it created a huge snow bank that led straight over the fence and into the duck yard. I beleive he killed one and scared the others away but must have killed them too as we followed the tracks and then they just disappeared. Well I be looking to replace them as I use ducks eggs in my son's gluten free baked good. They are the best for that. In the mean time I hope my geese will start to lay when temps warm up....one day :-) I have a lady collecting some eggs for me from her flock of mxed ducks that are in a warm place so hoepfully I can hatch a few newbies out.

Mom to 2 wonderful boys, a White Boxer, an English Mastiff, 3 cats, mixed ducks,  2 geese, 3 Bourbon Red Turkeys and many varieties of free ranging chickens -Ahhhh Life is Grand!!

#12 2018-01-11 18:14:42

niglefritz

A question for you, CJones28, you mentioned that you use duck eggs in your gluten free baking. Do you have any particular reason why? Does it help with rising/texture or something?

#13 2018-01-14 00:24:27

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

Yes it helps the baked goods rise better both in gluten free and paleo baking but geese eggs work well too.

#14 2018-01-14 05:59:44

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Duck eggs are prized for baking!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#15 2018-01-14 15:34:50

niglefritz

I knew they were good for baking, :P but I wondered if it made a very noticeable difference in gluten free things.

Board footer