AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2018-01-10 17:31:18

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Old man winter's icy grip

After an all too brief respite winter has descended on us again. It was -22c this morning as I trudged out to do the chores. The birds are all hunkered down with only the Geese, Turkeys and a few ducks venturing out. The rabbit water bowls had all frozen of course. Even with a minimal heat source and 30 odd birds in the same house they can't keep up to -20c.

I read an article yesterday that predicted we were going into a prolonged cold period that started in 2015 and will continue until 2028 based on sunspot activity. Today's sunspot count according to NASA is 0.  I don't really understand the relationship but in 2015 there were no days without visible sunspots, 2016 only 32 days with no sunspots, 104 in 2017 and now on the 10th of January we have already had 4 days with no activity. I guess we'll see.

Meanwhile I'll keep packing warm water to everyone a couple times per day.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#2 2018-01-10 18:12:00

susanr

Re: Old man winter's icy grip

Not quite that cold here shaneb99 but, a drastic downward change since yesterday.  It was above 0  with melting snow.  Freezing rain warning overnight - missed us completely but, Hwy #1 and north of us got hit fairly hard.  Chickens are less than impressed.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#3 2018-01-11 03:48:20

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

Yes, raining here yesterday and melting snow.  I unplugged all the heat lamps during the afternoon and plugged them back in just before supper.  I also plugged in the extra heater in the well house to avoid getting up tomorrow without running water.  -15 tonight but we will probably be colder.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#4 2018-01-11 06:03:16

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

That mild few days was nice while it lasted.  Two buckets locked in ice did not loosen up though so there they stand...

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#5 2018-01-11 13:44:16

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

Just coming out of our cold snap.  Actually calling for a lot of rain over the next 2 days.  Bit concerning with the ground frozen.

Black Ameraucana

#6 2018-01-11 15:21:02

susanr

The temps have dropped down even more today and will continue to drop through today and tomorrow.  Overnight including windchill forecast to -39C.  Yikes.  The chickens will be giving me the evil eye for the next couple of days.  The cows and mules won't be any more impressed than the chickens.  Sigh

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#7 2018-01-11 20:16:17

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I just came in from a hot water trip and it's warmed up to a balmy -25c. This morning on my first round it was -32c. Believe it or not there's a noticeable difference between -32c and -25c. Even some of the birds were out walking around. But on days like this I think John Palliser was right when he first laid eyes on the southern prairies. This land is uninhabitable.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

Board footer