AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2010-02-02 23:18:02

sockeye
Growing Member

Re: Oxine locally or by mail order in Canada?

o.k. sorry this took a lot longer than I hoped but I have got some info on Oxine in Canada, at least out in Ontario.
After talking to various people in Biocide and associated with them I got the name of Ron Bailey in Ontario who is being set up with the product for distribution.  Ron apparently deals with mink and poultry in some way.  His phone is 519-349-2130. 519-878-5798 (if anyone gets his email can you tell me it because the one I was given doesn't work) .  He now has the product and is selling it (according to a conversation yesterday at $30 a gallon - that might be in U.S. dollars but sounds very comparable to me to the prices across the border.  The activator is a couple of dollars more although my understanding is that it is not absolutely necessary to use that and some people seem to think not a good idea for live poultry (might want to ask John Craggs mentioned below)  He is willing to ship it by Purolator courier.

Unfortunately for those of us living far away it doesn't look like it is worth it.  I checked with purolator, and Greyhound the shipping is at least $45 to me in B.C.  Canada post isn't much better and they will only ship liquids if they are packed in a particularly involving way.  (Purolator will charge a $15 surcharge if they feel like it as well because it is a liquid).

There is still some hope for those of us in western Canada and so far it comes in the form of a product called Eco-san and marketed by a company  called Sanimarc  and now under the umbrella of Wood Wyatt.  I was told by someone in the head office of Biocide that Eco-san is the same as oxine but just with their label.  I am in receipt of the TD (whatever that is it is kind of a spec sheet of Ecosan) and it looks like the same thing (as was mentioned before,  chlorine dioxcide, I think) with the same uses although the one thing I didn't see on the list was the treatment of drinking water or fogging with it and I have a question in to the Sani Marc Head Office about that (ph. 1-888-749-9699)

I am also waiting to hear from Sanimarc's western distributor (don't have the name or number but am told the person will get in touch with me) to find out how I can get the product here.

Another name perhaps if anyone wants to start importing the stuff themselves to sell in Canada is John Craggs.  He is a master distributor of Oxine for Biocide and is the one supplying Ron Bailey.  He welcomed inquiries into the product as he is quite familiar with its use.  ph. 515-577-9979

I'm kind of frustrated that what with all of the phoning around I still haven't gotten any for myself but trust that I will eventually get some without having to pay exhorbedant  shipping charges. 

The one company I had a tentative order with in the states (i.e. asked them to contact me first to talk about shipping etc. before filling the order) didn't say boo to me for 21 days until I emailed them asking to cancel the order.  Someone immediately emailed me back to say they had been out of the oxine and were waiting for it to give me an accurate shipping amount  --  don't know why it didn't occur to them that I would like to have known that they had received the order and that there was a hold up.

o.k. well I hope this will be helpful to somebody.
cheers!

Island girl new to this since June. A  modified rabbit hutch coop is not going to be enough for the birds I want.  So far: buff Orp. rooster, 2 wyandottes (buff??), 1 ameraucana/leghorn Just started getting eggs in Dec. and love my silly birds even though the feeling isn't mutual.

#17 2010-02-02 23:40:24

GransChickens
A.C.E. Addicted

fantastic info.  thanks from ontario.

Home to Buff Orpingtons, Speckled Sussex & Light Sussex, 2 Labradors, 4 cats and a very tolerant husband  http://granschickens.wordpress.com/

#18 2010-02-03 00:11:48

lovemybirds
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Hi, you are doing a good job.  Keep asking about the one litre of concentrate.  I will try to find out more about it and will be able to talk to my friend on Saturday about it.

Ameraucanas, leghorns, isabrowns,  English type horses, jerseys, and one defiant standard poodle, and lots of hay.  Hope to breed 2010: Black Sumatra, silverspangled spitzhaubens,   barred rocks, australorps,  and more defiant standard poodles.  Married to the best man in the world and homeschooling 3 children.  Living life dedicated to our Heavenly Father.

#19 2010-02-03 00:51:16

sockeye
Growing Member

:oops:  completely forgot about the 1 litre possibility.  I'm not sure if Ron Bailey has that, we only talked gallons.  I also understood one gallon only made 2 gallons of product.  Did you use the activator with that Lovemybirds?
I do understand the activator makes it go a lot farther.

I will check back with him to see if he has that.   I did notice that one of the places in the states had the one litre but their shipping cost basically started at $30 so it didn't seem worth it.

Anyway, thanks for the reminder.

Island girl new to this since June. A  modified rabbit hutch coop is not going to be enough for the birds I want.  So far: buff Orp. rooster, 2 wyandottes (buff??), 1 ameraucana/leghorn Just started getting eggs in Dec. and love my silly birds even though the feeling isn't mutual.

#20 2010-02-03 20:18:12

tamatik
A.C.E. Addicted

a little reading on oxine

NO, I DON'T SELL OR OWN STOCK IN OXINE AH!

The Many Uses of Oxine AH (Animal Health)

by K. J. Theodore

But I do love it! Since I introduced a product named Oxine AH (Animal Health) to the fancy about four years ago, I have had so many questions about its effectiveness and many uses, that I thought it may be time to put something together that would answer the most popular questions in one place. So, in this article, I’m going to be covering THE MANY USES OF OXINE.

I first introduced Oxine as a medicinal treatment for upper respiratory fungal infections, as outlined in the first article I ever wrote for the Poultry Press. Oxine was certainly not anything new at that time, but it was new information to most of the fancy. It had already been used for decades in both the chlorination of municipal drinking water supplies, and was widely used throughout the commercial poultry industry. But few fanciers knew anything about it. I happened to have a duck at the time that was suffering so severely from a respiratory infection that I spoke to a Poultry Research Veterinarian friend of mine about possible treatment experiments, since illnesses such as Aspergillosis were thought of as fatal if severe. He told me about Oxine AH and how successful it had been when used as a nebulizing agent both in poultry and in the equine field. (Nebulizing meant the bird had to breathe the product into its airways.)

I had nothing to lose since the duck could barely breathe, so I tried it. I used a Tri-Jet fogger and a solution of 6-1/2 ounces of Oxine to a gallon of water as prescribed, and I ‘fogged’ the bird’s face and cage three times daily for ten days. She was cured.

Since then, I have learned quite a bit about this product. Since Oxine is technically a disinfectant and I have over 26 years in the specialty chemical industry, I understood the mechanics of how the product worked from the start. I also understand EPA registrations, USDA, and FDA, so I had access to all of the many applications of the one parent product under various label uses.

Oxine is known to kill every bacteria, virus, and mold it has ever been tested against and is 200 times more effective than chlorine bleach. But one of the most impressive things about Oxine for me is that it does it with such relative safety (when used according to label instructions). Environmentally speaking, Oxine actually biodegrades to ordinary table salt. And it is so safe to use on livestock that it is actually approved for use in the drinking water of ‘organically grown’ animals. I use it myself at the rate of 7-15 drops per gallon of water in our stock tank of drinking water for our own sheep. It keeps the water impressively clear and algae free, while keeping down the biofilm ‘slime’ that tends to develop on the sides of the tank.

Oxine is used in many commercial operations in the automated drinking lines for poultry. It keeps the bacteria level down in the water lines, prevents biofilm from developing, and keeps the birds healthier by keeping down the pathogen level that could potentially travel form one bird to another. The side benefit for commercial growers is that Oxine makes the drinking water more palatable to the birds and therefore they drink more. This is especially important in layers, but can have a benefit in any operation since it also improves feed conversion.

Technically, Oxine Concentrate is a 2% chlorine dioxide gas suspended in an aqueous solution. It is diluted with water to varying degrees depending on how you would like to use it. Since it is a disinfectant and not a drug, it must make direct contact with the pathogen in order to kill it. In the diluted inactivated state, Oxine is perfectly safe to use around both your birds and yourself. Oxine can also be ‘activated’ using citric acid crystals, which ‘release’ more of the available chlorine in the solution, but I highly discourage this method of use within the fancy. If you were to activate the product, it is recommended that you wear a NIOSH approved respirator and you would not be able to fog the solution into any area where the birds are present. Without activation, I am very comfortable with using the product without a respirator or mask, although you should follow whatever precautions you are most comfortable with.

Here’s how I use Oxine in my operation (this is simply an example program – you should adapt this to your particular situation since every coop and hatchery is different). I raise both chickens and waterfowl (ducks). I use 1/8 tsp/gallon of water for my ducks’ bath water to keep the bacteria level down and to help prevent bacterial enteritis, since E-Gads, we all know what ducks do in their water besides drink from it. They get a separate small dish (that they won’t fit into) at night before bed with drinking water that I can fortify with vitamins, minerals, and probiotics if I choose – but not with Oxine in it which could kill the beneficial bacteria in the probiotic supplement.

I use 1/8 tsp/gallon of water in my chickens’ drinking water every other day to keep down the biofilm (slime) that forms on the inside of the waterers.  It also keeps the bacteria level down for when that amazingly accurate missile of a dropping somehow makes it into the drinking water trough every day. (On the opposite days I like to include a combination vitamin, mineral, and probiotic supplement in their water instead.)

Since I run a biosecurity program in my showbird coop, I use Oxine to fog the entire inside of the coop (including the birds themselves) once a week. It keeps the dust down and knocks all of the viruses, bacteria, and mold spores out of the air. It also keeps the air fresh smelling in there. Oxine also has a residual disinfecting quality so I try to moisten surfaces such as roosts with the fog as I go. I see no need to remove feed or drinkers form the coop when I fog so the procedure is quite simple.

Other possible uses for the product are an egg dip prior to incubation (always using water warmer than the egg and at the rate of 4 oz/gallon of water). In this case, you would simply dip the egg in the solution and lay it on a clean paper towel to air dry – do not rub since that would breach the egg’s cuticle, something which is important to hatching success. You can also use it at the rate of 7 drops/gallon of water in your water reservoir in your incubator, and/or in a humidifier that may be running in a room where you store eggs prior to incubation.

Oxine has so many approvals for use in the (human) food industry that they’re too numerous to mention here, but it’s worth noting since it reinforces Oxine’s overall relative safety.

You may purchase Oxine through several of the poultry supply houses. A few that I know of are Seven Oaks Game Farm, Smith Poultry, First State Veterinary Supply, Cutler Pheasant Supply, and Aire Solutions, LC. All of the suppliers listed above advertise in the Poultry Press. There may be more and I apologize if I have left them out. If you are a supplier of Oxine and were not mentioned here, then I suggest you advertise that you are in the next issue of the Poultry Press so it becomes known. Also, if you let me know who you are, I would be glad to include you in an amended copy of this article prior to putting it up on my website next month.

If you need a fogger and cannot afford the more expensive ones, there is an alternative. It is the Preval Paint Sprayer from www.dickblick.com. It’s a small hand held device that is commonly used when vaccinating poultry against viruses that the birds need to breathe in to become inoculated. The Preval sprayer requires ‘power units’ to work and they can be purchased from Dick Blick as well. Also, Fogmaster makes a ‘Fogmaster Jr.’, which you can view and purchase at www.fogmaster.com. The suppliers of Oxine may also provide fogger options and perhaps some kind of package deal, so I would check that option out as well.

#21 2010-02-04 02:54:26

lovemybirds
I Love A.C.E.
Website

You do not need a fogger.  A cool humidifier works very well.  The coop is misted for 20 minutes in the morning and 20 minutes in the evening for a few days.

Ameraucanas, leghorns, isabrowns,  English type horses, jerseys, and one defiant standard poodle, and lots of hay.  Hope to breed 2010: Black Sumatra, silverspangled spitzhaubens,   barred rocks, australorps,  and more defiant standard poodles.  Married to the best man in the world and homeschooling 3 children.  Living life dedicated to our Heavenly Father.

#22 2010-02-11 01:33:16

lovemybirds
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Ok here's the info as promised:  Sorry it is so late.  Oxine can be ordered through Glenn Morgan from Guelph, Ontario.  His e mail is countyserviec@gmail.com.  The product is Oxine-pro and is 62 dollars for four litres.  The citric acid crystals to activate it can be purcheased through him or at a drug or health food store (any food grade citric acid will work)  THis oxine is 5%, not 3% like the oxine peddled on the internet.  It costs between 28 and 38 dollars to ship it because it is classed as a dangerous good.  It sounds expensive but it isn't.  You can go in with someone else.  You then dilute it to 500 parts per million for a carcass dip or vegetable wash.  You dilute it to a further 25 to50 parts per million for drinking water to keep the bio-film away.  It lasts a long, long time.  I forget what dilution I used in the humidifier; I think it was stronger.  Let us know haw it goes.

#23 2010-02-21 20:42:27

Margret
A.C.E. Addicted

We got ours through -Dr.J animal Health L.L.C.
4440 NE 64 th Street
Altoona,IA 50009

It was a Dr. John Craggs whom I contacted by phone -# 1 515 577 9979. He wasan agent for Oxine; very informative and has been trying to get companies or vets in Canada to carry this product, unfortunatelly he hasn't had much sucess. It is a great product and works well. The cost was pretty high ( not the product, but the shipping etc.).

1 gallon  was $22.00
UPS shipping = $29.75
with taxes & brokers fees$21.19
We did get the product within a week

However it would be nice to see it available here in Canada

#24 2010-03-10 04:46:57

sockeye
Growing Member

Whew!  Finally able to write an update on availability of Oxine to western Canada.  So here's the news...first it goes by the name of Ecosan.  I had been told by someone in the Oxine head office that a Quebec Company, Sanimarc was putting it out under their own name.  (Sanimarc has also either been  bought out by or in some way has joined with Woodwyant).

Anyway, their head office is out east but they do have other provincial distributors  including Edmonton and Calgary as well as Coquitlam B.C.

Right now this is not a product they usually have in stock and so the cost to buy it once in B.C. is $58.plus taxes for a 4 litre container. (if you want the activator that would be extra)

That price could go down if people want to buy several bottles together  and if it is known there is a demand they will have it in stock.

Lorne Sprague (whom, if I remember correctly is in Calgary) has been extremely  helpful  (seriously, he answered an email at 10 p.m. on a Sunday night!!!)  his contact info is as follows:
Lorne Sprague
Account Manager
lorne.sprague@sanimarc.com
Sani Marc
Food & Beverage
403 660-3475
888-749-9699
sanimarc.com

The Coquitlam store contact is :
Steve Matras...Cust Service Manager for Western Canada Woodwyant branch of Sanimarc (or is it the other way around, sorry people, I've been months at this and the information has been contradictory ) anyway the phone number is 604-945-7810

I have ordered one bottle which will take a few weeks to get here as I am the only ordering right now.

Lorne says:
"If people want to start ordering it...I can have it in stock to avoid the delays of shipping.
You can pass my email along to them...I have branches in Winnipeg, calgary,Coquitlam, Castlegar...13 across the country actually."
Lorne

I hope this is helpful to people....wasn't sure if I should start a new posting but hopefully people will see this information.  Lorne can send you some spec information in case you want to be sure this is oxine and how to use it etc.

Let me know if you think I should start a new post so more people see this as I think a lot would be interested....just a little unsure how it works here.

#25 2010-05-08 11:22:57

AuntieEvil

Hi
Does anyone know if buying the drops or tablets for portable water purification will produce the same product as is being purchased in pre-mixed liquid form. Aquamira sells both for hikers and military personal. To treat 60 gallons, the product is just $16 US and it will be cheap to ship because it is small and light.
Curious....

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#26 2010-05-08 14:51:53

Arcticsun
I Love A.C.E.

I will be ordering some, that is for sure.

Arcticsun Frickin Chicken ranch
A rainbow of colour in every egg basket!
Life is too short to to take ones self too seriously
Hug your chicken today

#27 2010-05-08 16:57:19

sockeye
Growing Member

This certainly would be worth checking into because shipping is definitely the killer, especially with liquids!

#28 2010-05-08 17:39:05

AuntieEvil

I've written the company, but don't expect an answer until next week. Will keep everyone posted, unless someone on here is able to answer.  :praying:

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#29 2010-06-25 01:39:55

AuntieEvil

Well, the backpacker's water drops are the same, but the price is lower because you get a tiny amount. Ordered a gallon from Ontario and am using it, and would love other people's experience with it... So far I just mist regularly to help prevent contamination from any visitors, cross contamination from new birds and generally to reduce the smell in the barn. The birds get annoyed being misted but the pigs love it...
It seems to reduce my allergies, so now I wonder if it would reduce mold growth in hay.
Very curious.

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#30 2011-09-28 14:01:05

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Just wondering does anyone know Sockeye?  The post is very old and there was a whole lotta work done by this person to tell us about oxine.

And....has anyone continued (Auntie Evil) to use this product with the livestock stuff and how does it work for you?  Anyone find suppliers in B.C.?  Think this should be a thread resurrected, for many reasons, have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

Board footer