AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2010-01-07 04:34:26

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

windows in your coop

We are building a coop this winter and have decided not to put windows in. They will always be allowed outside, even in the winter. (except when its blowing snow) that way they can get natural light. We are going to have a fan in the ceiling for ventilation and lights on timers in the winter. Does anybody see a problem with this? I have never built a chicken coop

You haven't seen a tree until you've seen it's shadow from the sky. --Amelia Earhart

#2 2010-01-07 04:46:44

chicken bandit
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: windows in your coop

Hi my advice is you still need windows because my birds do not levy the coop after -10 and natural light is very important more than people think and once their in it don't cost you any thing

#3 2010-01-07 04:59:39

Dan Smith
Website

I agree with chicken bandit, having a fan as a back up when an open window in summer is not enough is good  but why would you want to pay for electricity to run a fan when and open window with a natural air current is free. But it is important to keep the window away from your nests or at least not facing your nests because I have found over the years that birds prefer a darker place to lay their eggs.

Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, and Delawares ,four Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

#4 2010-01-07 05:06:40

chicken bandit
A.C.E. Addicted

That to and i find windows facing east and west best for winter that gives you the best light over here in red neck country

Last edited by chicken bandit (2010-01-07 05:08:18)

#5 2010-01-07 05:34:08

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

I agree with CB and DS.  I would put in opening windows and a screen door.  Since heat is trapped at the ceiling, I would make some sort of provision for ventilation through the ceiling.  I would not put in fans. I would put in some timed lights for the short day seasons-fall, winter, and spring.  Some electrical outlets for heat lamps and heated water dishes would be desireable.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#6 2010-01-07 05:53:20

shelan08
Growing Member

Fans are a good thing , but all depends on what you are keeping in the coop , and How many birds you are keeping in there.  I have used a stand up fan for some of the time in my cold barn. But I have alot of waterfowl in there , so the moisture builds up . We used plexy glass, or that hard see through plastic used for green houses , instead of glass windows , and it works great . Helps heat the cold barn up when the sun is out ,. It's faceing the south.

Specializing in over 75 species of wild waterfowl - ducks , geese , swans , peafowl, pheasants, partridge and quail
From Imported Bloodlines .

#7 2010-01-07 12:53:31

Emilys4guppies
A.C.E. Addicted

Don't windows increase your risk of drafts?  That's something I'd watch for when installing them.  I probably wouldn't put them close to the roost and, if your coop is going to be a small one, I would avoid them all together.

Emily
Mama to 4 human babies, 2 feline furballs, a royal python, and three EE pullets in a backyard coop.

#8 2010-01-07 13:21:56

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

chicken bandit wrote:

Hi my advice is you still need windows because my birds do not levy the coop after -10 and natural light is very important more than people think and once their in it don't cost you any thing

Once your windows are in you have a heatloss point, then if you only put in a singal pane window you can't see through it in the winter anyways. when there is a warm day the frost ments and starts to run down the wall and rot your building. Duel pane wiindow wouldn't do this but are awefully expensive. After awhile the start to leak and cause problems.

This is why I am worried about putting windows in

You haven't seen a tree until you've seen it's shadow from the sky. --Amelia Earhart

#9 2010-01-07 13:36:43

muffin
A.C.E. Addicted

I have windows...they need windows so they can soak up the rays when it is too cold to go outside. I have windows on mine that face south...and NO GLASS, just covered by rabbit wire...even in this cold and they do fine. I have enough hens to keep the heat in sufficiently, I have a light for them, and I deep bed for winter. Maybe one day I will put in windows, but to open them for fresh air can be a problem in this cold.... -34C here this morning...south of Regina

Anna

Nubian and La Mancha dairy goats (bucks for sale); Llamas for livestock guardians;  looking for small registered Miniature horses, under 28"; Araucana Chickens and more... LOOKING FOR MALINES, Crele Marans, Columbian Rocks, Bearded White Silkies!  Custom crafted Jewelry items.

#10 2010-01-07 14:05:40

klorinth
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I avoided the whole question by building an entire sun room on the front of the coop. Gives them an entire area to eat, drink, scratch, perch and do whatever else they want no matter what the weather. They spend every moment in there right now as long as there is light. When the sun goes down they just walk into the coop and go to sleep. The nest boxes are also in the coop.

Even on our -35 days they are in there. Seems to work really well during the winter. Also allows them to be "outside" on the rainy and windy days. I do still need to finish a couple details so that it does not over heat in the summer though. Lots of time to do that in the spring. :P

Norrbottenspets, Akbash, Dark Cornish, Cuckoo Marans, Buff Chantecler, White Chantecler, Partridge Chantecler, Ameraucana, Beltsville Small White Turkey, Shetland and Texel Sheep.

"If there is a way to overcome the suffering, then there is no need to worry; if there is no way to overcome the suffering, then there is no use in worrying." Shantideva

#11 2010-01-07 14:15:06

AuntieEvil
Website

When we installed windows for the chickens, we put them in so they double as chicken doors. They are 3 feet up, so they won't get covered by snow or deep bedding, but a hay bale or perch allows the chickens to go in and out through them... Makes it easy to split the outside run for breeding time (If it ever gets done without the goats trashing it -lol)
All the chickens here prefer roosting near light areas...
Couldn't imagine having less light in the barn and will install more windows as time permits. Check your local window place, they probably have lots they'll be happy to give you....

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#12 2010-01-07 14:15:42

cayuga26
A.C.E. Addicted

We put windows in all our coops but we also only keep hardy birds that can tolerate the cold.  There is some heat loss but once you go below 0 degrees the building (which is insulated as well) is always warmer than the outside air.  Our large duck barn has single pained windows currently (bit hard to explain but I have to add the other pain this coming summer) and our two newest buildings have recycled double pain vinyl windows.  We have not had a problem with drafts (have ventilation in all the coops) and most of the time the birds are free to come and go between an outdoor run and the coop (until it gets close to -20 than we sometimes lock the birds indoors).  Even with the door open to allow the birds in and out during the day (or night) the coop still remains warmer than the outside temperature.

I know the issue of drafts is a bit vague but you don’t need a completely air tight building for most poultry (some of the breeds or species which require heat or cannot tolerate cold may be different but realistically you should not keep those birds unless you can afford the money for a heated coop properly ventilated etc.).  We do use vapour barrio on our coops though but with the ventilation holes we still find the humidity stays low inside (plus the ventilation holes have adjustable flaps on them to regulate the flow of air)

So basically I agree with others in saying the benefit of windows outweighs the loss of heat or draft (if you keep truly cold hardy breeds).

Standard Bred Cayuga Ducks, Khaki Campbell Ducks, Partridge Chantecler Chickens and Narragansett Turkeys. 
Registered Tamworth pigs and Oberhasli goats

#13 2010-01-07 15:03:30

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

thanks for the answers, I will take that all into consideration when we start building. What about opening windows? Is this necesary?

#14 2010-01-07 15:48:09

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

You do need to have adequate ventilation, in both winter and summer. Not a problem in most chicken houses, but sometimes overlooked.

#15 2010-01-07 15:48:54

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

but wouldn't the fan work for that?

Board footer