AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2010-01-07 16:14:45

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: windows in your coop

We have three good sized windows (like 2 foot by 3 foot each) in our 18 by 20 coop.  One on the south and two on the west.  Other sides of the coop are into the barn.  All of them open, we leave them open all summer, with a mesh on the inside of the window so the birds can't get out the windows, sit and poo on the windows sills or predators come in.  Winter time all three are closed, but I open the south one if it's not too windy and it's coming from the north, usually on the warmer days or cold clear sunny days.  By March when the bedding thaws and has more of an ammonia whiff we pretty well leave the south one open.  By the time it gets hot, all they are permanently open till fall. 

Winter time we have  a small door that gos to a plasticced in extension to the outside, so that is ventilation of a sort, then probably another square foot of aluminum grill ventilation shared between the ceiling and low on the wall opposite on the North side into the barn and the south side of the roof, so even when all windows are shut the room breathes a bit, but no fan. 

If you are putting windows in, in summer you are setting up a way of helping make it extra hot in there, so I'd make them openers to let the heat out.  If ours didn't open, I think our ventilation wouldn't be nearly as good especially when it gets warm things get more aromatic, the hens are outside free ranging in summer so there's not that many spending the day in there but the odd ones do, so I like the air as fresh as possible for me an them.  Ours are single pane, and frost up in the winter but it is still natural daylight.  Our coops wall are white with poo stripe "wallpaper", but it reflects more light around.  We haven't been giving any extra light and the girls are still laying pretty well.  We live in a grey sky area, downwind of the great lakes so not a lot of bright sunshine in the winter, we wanted to get the best use out of what we do get.  Good luck figuring it out.  I personally love sitting out in the coop when the sun is shining and I can see it, and they dust bath in the bedding where the sunshine shines in :thumbsup: 

This is the #1 reasons we have windows, the birds get sunshine, and they seem to like it

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/100_3549.jpg

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#17 2010-01-07 16:25:09

Della333
A.C.E. Addicted

My first year with chickens ... we built a window with chicken wire and shutters that lock up tight.

The summer was fine , open the shutters lots of fresh air and light...
the winter time is when I see I need to rethink the idea!

I regret not putting in a double pane glass window - we have light in the coop but it's not the same as natural light.
In the spring it will probably be the first thing I do.  I'll add it to the upper part of the coop so it doesn't get snow covered.
I would also think sunlight would warm the coop in the winter as well - if the window has a screen and slides open fresh air !!

I'm going to look around some of those recycled building supply places for one.

********* bantam hens in the hills of the headwaters

#18 2010-01-07 16:38:07

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Here's ours, hardware cloth mesh door swings horizontally so we can get in to open/close the window.  The outer window hinges are at the top so when open the rain (mostly) goes off the end, and not in, with the air coming in an out under the window.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/chickenwinter08005.jpg

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

#19 2010-01-07 16:41:40

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Number 2 reason for windows is so you can see all the coop - corners, birds, weasels, eggs, etc.  See if anyone is limping, bleeding, broody, etc. No shadowy corners etc.

The two reasons neighbours love my coop are you can stand up comfortably and it is very bright (two big double paned opening windows - cracked all winter, wide open all summer.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#20 2010-01-07 17:55:54

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I'd have a window too.  No matter how resolved you are to have the birds out, there *are* days when it will not happen...:shock:

We have 3 windows in the coop, which is built in a barn.  The best window has outdoor light and 1/2" gauge hardware cloth on the inside.  The pane is plexiglass and swings open to fasten securely in the run.  The other two windows do not open, because they lead to the indoor barn aisleway. We wanted them only to see the birds before entering the coop.  We also have an indoor porch to keep the barn cats away from the birds and it has mesh windows so that on hot days we can create flow-through to cool the birds.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/LynneP/Barn%202008/th_Plexiglasswindow.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/LynneP/Barn%202008/th_Watererplug2Dec0908.jpg

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#21 2010-01-07 18:22:07

cayuga26
A.C.E. Addicted

Something to keep in mind regarding ventilation and windows is how long the birds are going to be inside.

If your birds are only inside the coop during the winter than ventilation needs are less.  If they are locked inside all summer long than ventilation needs are great (the electric fan would probably be a good idea here, but if they only sleep there the energy used vurs the heat created is probably not worth it as long as you have passive air vents to alow naturla flow of air). 

If your planning on using the coop year round (our birds are not kept in the winter coops during the summer so the coops we have are built for winter conveniences only) than I really like the idea of the windows or removable doors which can allow more ventilation during the hot times of year and can be closed to keep warmth in during the winter.  I have a similar plan for our pigeon coop where the human door can be removed during the summer and replaced with a screen door (hardware cloth) to allow more ventilation (I may go even farther and make the wall between the inside and outside portions of the coop removable during the summer to allow them full freedom between the two areas, but than the Pigeons will never leave there coop as they are not racers)

So I guess it kind of depends on how you plan to use your building really.

Hope that helps some.

Last edited by cayuga26 (2010-01-07 18:23:27)

Standard Bred Cayuga Ducks, Khaki Campbell Ducks, Partridge Chantecler Chickens and Narragansett Turkeys. 
Registered Tamworth pigs and Oberhasli goats

#22 2010-01-07 19:03:17

chicken bandit
A.C.E. Addicted

Hi in the end its totally up to you you now but your coop sounds good so fair

#23 2010-01-07 23:17:50

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

I really want the windows, I don't care how much I have to spend but its my dad who deosn't want them. Approx. how  much does a duel-pane window cost? If I had windows they would be duel-pane because I want to see out them in the winter. How do your windows open Lavender? Do they slide up and down, sideways...? Is there a way to do this cheaply without sacrificing quality?

You haven't seen a tree until you've seen it's shadow from the sky. --Amelia Earhart

#24 2010-01-07 23:19:10

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

Fowler wrote:

Is it a ventilation fan that is drawing air from outside?  Or is it just going to be moving the air around?

The fan would push the air outside and bring in fresh air from outside

You haven't seen a tree until you've seen it's shadow from the sky. --Amelia Earhart

#25 2010-01-08 00:54:22

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

All our windows were FREE, just the cost of fuel and time to go and get them, I often take a dozen eggs too.  All the windows and all the doors were free.  Off Kijiji, we put wanted ad, we'll pick up your unwanted windows and door and building materials.  People thank you for taking it away.  We have another 50 or so windows in the drive shed  We do have some double paned and, but are saving at least one for the broody room, so we don't loose the heat in there.  I just wanted all the windows the same size in the big coop and we had three of these.  It was easier for framing etc and looked neater! 

The opening and closing of the windows is basic.  Hinges at the top on the glass, window bottom swings out.  DH drilled and hole thru and bolted a big piece of threaded rod with a loop end, facing into the room.  It is attached to one side of the wood on the window.  There is a screw that the metal loop slips into to hold the window open-don't see it in the pic, I think it is lower because of the arc the edge makes when it opens.  It is really windy where we are and we can't have the window blowing shut and breaking.  The threaded rod braces it a bit anyway.  To close it that loop catches onto a spring hook.  Here's a pic.  You could have screws in different positions for how open you want the window.  The mesh part swings out of the way so you can get to it and also hooks with a spring hook, but you could use barrel bolt thing.  We just used what we had around here.  The most we ever open and close a window would be 3-4 times week, and it can be closed months and months or open the same, so we figured we didn't want to spend a lot on the fasteners but needed the bracing.   

I found a pic but it's hard to see.  You can see the threaded rod comes through the wood edge of the window, it is a solid threaded spike with a loop on the ens.  The other end is hooked to it is a spring hook like the one on the wall.  The one on the wall at second one holds the mesh cover closed.  We always use spring hooks, keeps the birds in and preds out.  Hardware cloth will be better than chicken wire.

http://i949.photobucket.com/albums/ad340/skefflinglavenderfarm/chickenwinter08004.jpg

#26 2010-01-08 04:26:24

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.

thanks, Lavender, I will let my dad look at this and see what he says, I think its a great idea!

#27 2010-01-08 04:32:41

Bumblebee
A.C.E. Addicted

I have windows in my coops, more than one in each coop. One coop has a skylight.
I placed them on opposite walls for cross ventilation.
On the sunny cold days I open them up for fresh air.

But on Vancouver Island it rarely gets so cold that the cold temps would be a problem.
I built my coops under a HUGE Maple tree. In the summer the coops are shaded by the leaf canopy. In the winter the leaves are gone so the sun can shine in the windows and skylight.

I bought windows from Re-store and some were given to me. I was lucky to have been given the windows that are louvered. They work great! The louvered windows from old travel trailers/campers would be perfect.
I nail heavy wire on the inside of the window frame (and skylight) so predators can't break in.

Australian Cattle Dogs, Canadian Horses, lots of chickens

#28 2010-01-09 05:42:36

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Off Kijiji we have had free insulation (fibreglass and styrofoam) all sorts of windows, exterior and interior doors, loads of shelves, both big units and planks, wainscotting, light fittings, eaves trough, couple bundles of shingles, a huge roll of Tyvek,  a free 10 by 10 garden shed we had at the last place, an old porcelain sink that came from the old Wiarton hospital surgery, with elbow taps, and tiny little nearly new hot water boiler, the guy wanted to give us a brand new shower stall, but we really didn't need it.  We got a huge white tarp from him that was used for an ice  hockey rink but is great for bales.

If you advertise that you're are recycling building materials for your farm/animals, saving stuff from the landfill and saving them the dump fees and trip there or if they don't have  truck/trailer etc, people can't find enough stuff for you to take and are thrilled when you say yes to bits and pieces.  We have met some great people that have helped us.   I travel a lot for work so will sometimes place an ad a week before  go somewhere and bring stuff home, or just look up the free stuff for that area before I go.  We did that a lot the first full year we were here, but we are getting a bit of a stash.   Anyway hope that helps.  We'd rather spend our money on straight 2 by 4s and clean plywood and paint and the hardware always costs more than you think.

#29 2010-02-06 22:13:52

chicken
Growing Member

I have two windows in our coop, one double pane window that was free from a reuse place & a top window on my wooden door. I think they need the windows especially in the winter.

Here is a link to my coop http://www.punbb-hosting.com/forums/Alb … hp?id=5148

Maybe you could find a used door with windows already in it?

Last edited by chicken (2010-02-06 22:16:06)

#30 2010-02-07 04:34:59

calliope
A.C.E. Addicted

When we built our coop a few years ago, we insulated it and ran the clear thick vapour barrier plastic right over the two single-pane windows we installed, and they don't frost up very much at all, and the light and sunshine can still shine through.  They are vinyl windows, not the opening kind, and are not drafty at all.  I would want to have windows in my coop so I can see everything better so it's easier to keep on top of potential health problems, etc. 

We also have two vinyl vents with screens (the kind people have for their attics) on opposite walls about 6 inches down from the ceiling.  There are two hatchways in the coops that are always open unless it drops below minus 15 degrees, and I keep the man door cracked open about 6 inches or so until it drops below minus 10.  I have no trouble with moisture and have the coop filled to capacity all the time.
:P

Just another day in paradise!

Partridge Chanteclers, True Ameraucanas, Russian Orloffs, LF Blue English Orpingtons, Bearded Silkies, Showgirls, Frizzles, Bantam Cochins, Bourbon Red and Jersey Buff Turkeys, and keeper of honeybees :)

Board footer