AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2008-09-26 17:16:51

newchickontheblock
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

vaccinations

wondering who vaccinates   and what you vaccinate for ?

liz

Looking forward to 3 days of chicken chat November 23--25 Urban Farm Show !

#2 2008-09-28 16:09:41

Chickie Vickie
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Re: vaccinations

Hello Everyone
   I try and keep the vaccinations to a minimum.. I vaccinate for Laryngotracheitis because I go to the shows and sales.. I use Sheering Plough because it is the only non shedding vaccine for it..I do not vaccinate for Mereks because I have turkeys and for  other reasons.

Marek's Disease is caused by a virus that belongs to the herpes family of viruses. It is a first cousin to the virus that caused that cold sore on your lip you got not long ago. Turkeys have a similar virus that is close enough chemically that you can instill resistance in your chickens by raising turkeys with them.
   I believe in having a flock with natural disease built resistance..  Your birds will build immunity to what they are exposed to.. They will build resistance to what you have at your place  and what you expose them to. Keep clean facilities and try and keep vermin down and lice and internal perisites  and things that can make their immunity weaken...And if they  DO get sick and die then they were the weaker ones that should.  Keep a burn barrel for those instances.Vaccinations are your choice and educate yourself on what you think you need to do..Its the same as per children..I believe in exposing my kids to bacteria young and building a resistance to germs now.. SO they wont get anything and everything when they DO get exposed to it..

Last edited by Chickie Vickie (2008-09-28 20:03:43)

Living the good life with kids and critters home on the range.
Heritage Poultry
www.roundcreekquarterhorses.com

#3 2008-09-28 21:01:01

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

:goodpost:

#4 2008-09-29 17:38:14

nanamaran

:hi: Good information, I had some pecking going on so John and I put the stop peck on them last night...still have to worm, we'll try and get that done soon.

Last edited by nanamaran (2008-09-29 17:38:33)

Wonderful husband, 2 great children, 3 gorgeous grandchildren, many Arabian horses, Section A Welsh ponies,  1 Golden Retriever.   Blue , Black and White  Jersey Giants,  Blue and Buff Cochins, White and Buff Chanteclers

#5 2008-09-30 03:53:42

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

Chickie, how do we go about getting these vaccines?? Can we just go to our local vet and ask?
Are there other diseases we should be thinking about vaccinating for?

#6 2008-10-01 17:32:44

Chickie Vickie
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Hello Everyone

This is in regards to purchasing vaccinations.. I have found that the best place to purchase poultry vaccines is in Red Deer at Red Deer Veterinary Consulting Services LTD.. The business # 403-347-7707 and ask for Tom..

It is very hard to find a place that will be able to bring in Sheering Plough vaccines because they have to have some special liscense.. this place is the friendliest, and most knowledgeable around these parts..Most vets dont deal with poultry and know very little about them or vaccines ..etc...

I have worked at two major commercial hatcheries that hatched 60,000 birds 3-4 days week and I have only ever seen them innoculate for Mereks and spray for bronchitis vaccines in Canada and Bronchitis/Newcastle in the USA.  I used to be the one innoculating the birds @ 10,000 day myself with the needle in the neck. Also we used to vaccinate for Coccidiosis Disease.

There are two lines of coccidiosis vaccines manufactured by Schering-Plough Animal Health, which are Paracox™ and Coccivac®.

Again, keep things clean and disenfect.. and remember to start your chicks on medicated feed and this will really help if you dont vaccinate ( and if you do) . giving them the best start is crucial.. The chicks  get antibodies from the yolk passed down from their moms ( hens) . So keep your laying hens healthy and give the chicks  amphrol medicated chick starter and keep things clean is the most important thing to do for a good start.

Heritage Poultry

#7 2008-10-01 20:03:05

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

Great info Vickie, I was thinking if you lived down south or far away you could probably make arrangements to get the vaccine when you come to the sales in the fall or spring.
Sounds like Vickie would be the one to have around if you were to give everyone a needle, oh boy, don't think I could poke anyone!!
Great ?? Hidden, sometimes the hatch if only a dozen or less....

#8 2008-10-02 13:28:46

Chickie Vickie
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Thats funny.. You know I must have given myself hundreds of Mereks shots when I was doing the chicks.. Oh it hurts...LOL.. I have a couple little scars from it..
   Yes if you only have a few birds you are always wasting it because you only have a couple hours to use it up and each vile does @ 10,000 birds...and 10 come in a pack..for @$200 for the ILT one  so each vial  costs @ $20 so thats not too too bad..As far as shipping it, they would have to use those ice packs but most vets are not going to ship.. You can always purchase the Mereks  vaccines from the hatcheries if you are going to do that one.. I dont but thats each persons choice..  However I order in the Sheering Plough one special from Red Deer RX  because  most hatcheries dont sell that one, at least not the good Sheering Plough one..  So if you can get what vaccines you want from the hatcheries then great.. and in most larger towns you will find a vet supplies store that will order in what you need.. and of course if your going through a major chicken sickness dont tell your vets because some things are reportable and they will call the government on you..( and they may come and make you put your flock down)  again use the burn barrel for this..if you call and order vaccines.. just say its  because you show and go to the sales.. so you dont get their alarm buttons going.. nowadays with avian influenza they dont want to mess around.. Good luck.. PS .. I am no expert and dont want to give anyone bad advice.. Please always look into things yourself. I am just sharing what I have learned.. bye for now. .Vicki

Heritage Poultry

#9 2008-10-02 14:44:07

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

Does this mean that YOU are immune to Merreks??  :P
I think you are a great expert, I know of no one else that has given that many needles and also you are very knowledgeable about so many things when it comes to chickens!! I wanna be just like you when I grow up!!

Board footer