AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2010-02-13 15:15:00

silkiebantam
I Love A.C.E.
Website

When do Easter Eggers start to lay?

I have 3 young EE's.  They are about 5 months old.  I'm wondering when I can they will start to lay.  When I go into the coop the and go to pet them, they squat down in front of me like they would for a rooster.  My EE rooster who is the same age as them is, shall we say, Very active.  I feel sorry for my hens, he's definitely not a gentle lover and doesn't care who he mounts (even silkies).  Are they squatting because they are being submissive or are they getting close to laying.  As of yet I've no colored eggs.  Just flesh colored ones which could be coming from my Mutty chickens.

Last edited by silkiebantam (2010-02-13 15:17:40)

Have you squeezed your Cochin today?

#2 2010-02-13 15:40:51

ipf
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: When do Easter Eggers start to lay?

They're pretty variable. What colour are their combs? If they're red and soft-looking, it could be any day. . . .

#3 2010-02-13 18:25:32

HiddenAcresBC
A.C.E. Addicted

The first week I started getting eggs (around 5 months) I found a green egg amongst the beige ones. I had never seen or even heard of a green egg before! I thought something was terribly wrong with my chicken hahaha!
The point is she started laying within days of the other birds, and 2 years later I still get a green egg every 3rd day.

Jaclyn.

Mother to 3, wife to 1 ;) We have 90 acres along the river in on the Northern "wet coast". Currently building a big, beautiful barn for my Jersey cow, Brenda, and my chickens. Currently we have a Light Sussex breeding team of 8, a few Wheaton Marans hens, a trio of lovely Blue Orps and a couple odd balls.

#4 2010-02-13 19:39:39

uno
I Love A.C.E.

I found my pure Ameraucanas took the longest to start to lay, over 7 months before I got an egg. THe mixes (EEs) may be a little sooner, but my own mixes were still slower than the production birds. But this is just a guide line, every bird is an individual.

#5 2010-02-13 22:52:34

Fanny
Growing Member

I think the time of year plays a part too - my Easter Egger just started laying a couple of weeks ago, almost one week to the day after she started 'squatting'.  She was around 6 months old at the time.  I think though had it been spring or summer, she would have started laying earlier.

#6 2010-02-13 23:26:25

ipf
A.C.E. Addicted

Age of first egg is partly genetic, part seasonal (exactly as Fanny says), and is also affected by inbreeding. Purebreds are generally inbred to some extent, and will often (not always) start laying considerably later than crosses between breeds. Production breeds have been selected and bred for early laying, so naturally they'll be the quickest of the lot. Most EEs are crossbreeds, so "should" be intermediate-ish.

Last edited by ipf (2010-02-13 23:27:15)

Board footer