AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Coops
  •  » Long live the no-pest strip!

#1 2010-02-15 18:41:51

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Long live the no-pest strip!

Have you tried these?

They're wax rectangles impregnated with pyrethins ( correction:  dichlorovos) and framed in plastic that you hang at the top of the coop, out of the reach of the birds, and not over the water dish.  The fumes drift up into the nooks and crannies above.  They last about 4 months.  A lot of us use them as a preventive- the northern fowl mite is out biggest threat on birds.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b132/LynneP/Vapona.jpg

They're used in restaurants, hospitals, barns, homes- perfect way to keep household pets free of fleas.  My barn cats are free of fleas! 
You'll see tham listed under Black Flag, Vapona and various hardware chain names.

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#2 2010-02-15 18:46:37

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Long live the no-pest strip!

They are well documented in earlier threads. The active ingredient is not pyrethrin, but dichlorvos. No longer recommended for use in homes.

#3 2010-02-15 18:48:52

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Gosh I didn't know that.  I have a stack that I bought three years ago- thanks for the info.

Update- checked earlier threads in this section and did not find into on the strips.

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#4 2010-02-15 19:59:23

lovemybirds
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Oh, I love those for my coops.  No mites, no lice.  My birds are healthier.  I wish there was a no-pest strip for ravens and contentious folks!

Ameraucanas, leghorns, isabrowns,  English type horses, jerseys, and one defiant standard poodle, and lots of hay.  Hope to breed 2010: Black Sumatra, silverspangled spitzhaubens,   barred rocks, australorps,  and more defiant standard poodles.  Married to the best man in the world and homeschooling 3 children.  Living life dedicated to our Heavenly Father.

#5 2010-02-15 20:04:18

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

Where do you get them. I have been tryig to get dust powder for lice, DE and other stuff that people have mentionned on this site but without any success. I was able to buy some DE form the states and have it shipped here to Quebec but the dust powder requires a pesticide license. If it is so bad, why would I want to put it on my birds in the first place. I need some ideas to get ride of pests as I found a few on a roo this weekend. I srayed him with a product form the petstore that seemed to have worked but I would like to treat the coop as well but have no clue how. HELP PLEASE!

Mom to 2 wonderful boys, a White Boxer, an English Mastiff, 3 cats, mixed ducks,  2 geese, 3 Bourbon Red Turkeys and many varieties of free ranging chickens -Ahhhh Life is Grand!!

#6 2010-02-15 20:06:57

lovemybirds
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Hey, try a hardware store.  We get them at Home Hardware here. A livestock feed store should be able to get DE in for you as a mineral lick.

Last edited by lovemybirds (2010-02-15 20:08:40)

Ameraucanas, leghorns, isabrowns,  English type horses, jerseys, and one defiant standard poodle, and lots of hay.  Hope to breed 2010: Black Sumatra, silverspangled spitzhaubens,   barred rocks, australorps,  and more defiant standard poodles.  Married to the best man in the world and homeschooling 3 children.  Living life dedicated to our Heavenly Father.

#7 2010-02-15 20:35:09

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Home Depot, about $13 each, and well worth it. Called Ortho® Home Defense Max™ No Pest Strip.

#8 2010-02-15 20:42:04

Arcticsun
I Love A.C.E.

Got'em
Love'em
Never be without'em

Arcticsun Frickin Chicken ranch
A rainbow of colour in every egg basket!
Life is too short to to take ones self too seriously
Hug your chicken today

#9 2010-02-15 21:58:16

Thunderchick

I found the no-pest strip at Canadian Tire. Just put a new one in last week, wish I had known about these the last 5 years.

Like others, I have inhaled so much of the lice/mite powder and gotten it on my skin, and always felt bad about using it on the chickens, to keep them healthy. Always seemed like such an irony.

Two years ago I had bought a huge bag of the DE for the chickens to use for dust baths, but until about 3 weeks ago, they never were interested in going into the big round black tub and dust bathing with it.

I took earlier advice and mixed the DE with some potting soil I had, that seemed to get them going with it! , now I am mixing the wood stove ashes with the DE and now they are lined up to use it. I just love watching them dust bathing!!!

Hens - 8 old tyme mix, 5 EE. Whitmore- 2 Welsummer, 1 black Ameraucana.
Dominiques-7 hens, 3 roos, 4 chicks. Buckeyes - 2 hens.
1 Black & Tan English Shepherd dog,1 outdoor 2 indoor cats- Dec 30 RIP Tiger, Block Horses-2 stallions,1 gelding,4 mares,1 filly
Block Horse info. website- http://webspace.webring.com/people/rb/blockhorsegroup/

#10 2010-02-15 22:18:04

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I think it's such an easy solution...the old-timers would have loved them.  Here, the northern fowl mite was so bad that coops were normally burned every 5 years or so.

#11 2010-02-15 23:01:19

Red
Growing Member

lovemybirds wrote:

I wish there was a no-pest strip for ravens and contentious folks!

:veryfunny:  that would be a big strip

I have Speckled Sussex, Gold-laced Wyandottes, Jersey Giants, Buff Brahmas & Buff Orpingtons, a Jersey cow as well as Tamworth and Berkshire pigs

#12 2010-02-16 00:30:11

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

Thanks I will look at Canadian Tire or Home Depot.

Mom to 2 wonderful boys, a White Boxer, an English Mastiff, 3 cats, mixed ducks,  2 geese, 3 Bourbon Red Turkeys and many varieties of free ranging chickens -Ahhhh Life is Grand!!

#13 2010-02-16 01:06:58

Stephane
A.C.E. Addicted

Very efficient against pests insects and also bad for mammals and birds.
I wouldn't want them inside any of my buildings coop included.

Stephane Deshaies
Eastern Townships, Quebec

#14 2010-02-16 01:55:03

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Parasites put a huge strain on a bird. Compared to the alternatives available, these strips seem pretty good.  All pesticides involve trade-offs; you have to evaluate the risks and benefits to you, the birds, and the environment. Benefits of these are: no direct physical contact; limited exposure to the vapour for the user (only when in the coop), and slightly more for the birds, who are outside most of the time; thorough penetration of nooks and crannies, so that all mites, not just the ones you reach, are killed.

Rotenone is likely far more harmful to the user, considering the physical contact and dust inhalation.

Dichlorvos breaks down quickly in contact with air and soil, and does not bio-accumulate (concentrate in the food chain).

I've noticed that my mortality rates are way down in my birds since I started a program of alternating eprinex (once a year) and pest strips (one or two a year).

Last edited by ipf (2010-02-16 01:56:04)

#15 2010-02-16 03:18:57

lovemybirds
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I totally agree with Ipf.  The toll the mites and lice take on the birds is phenomenal, and dusting 120 birds with rotenone is not healthy.  I mask up, but they don't get to wear a mask.  There is enough air movement in the houses for good air exchange and I also have not lost any birds this winter.

• Index
  •  » Coops
  •  » Long live the no-pest strip!

Board footer