AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Coops
  •  » Long live the no-pest strip!

#16 2010-03-14 22:33:27

emjay
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Long live the no-pest strip!

I was eyeballing the product in the first post the other day. Is this what everyone uses?
the dichlorvos in the product, how bad is it really? on chickens to breath in, and humans.
I have ventilation in the coop, but not sure if it's enough to ensure no harm to the fowl.
I would like to get it for early summer, but, don't want to risk any toxic fumes to the birds.

is there a different product that works , that's less toxic

#17 2010-03-14 22:55:25

jjpiper

Does it work as a vapour or sticky strip? SHould it be down low or up high? Just wondering if it could be of use in my coop.

Wife, 2 Boys and 1 Girl, 1 Labrador Retriever, 1 German Shorthaired Pointer, Lionhead, Holand Lop, Californian rabbits. Organic vegetable and perennial gardens. Silver Laced Wyandotte and Partridge Chanteclair are now laying. White Chantecler juveniles. We also lease a pony named Timone but he is at the farm. We are still stuck in the city. Moving to the country soon.

#18 2010-03-14 23:39:05

Brandi
A.C.E. Addicted

It works by vapor.

I bought a couple in Home Depot the other day. I had stopped at several feed stores and asked about them, and was told that they don't carry them anymore as they have been banned. Not sure how accurate this was considering there were stacks of them in Home Depot. Maybe they're confusing them with something else, or even just a different brand of the same type of product.
It says on the package not to use in homes, and to only use it in places that are occupied less than 4 hours a day, and may be harmful to caged birds.

A strange stillness dwells in the eye of the horse, a composure that appears to regard the world from a measured distance...It is a gaze from the depths of a dream...
                                                                   -Hans Heinrich Isenbart

#19 2010-03-15 00:19:05

Dan Smith
Website

If you read the fine print they are recommended for barns, chicken coops and motels but not homes. I would think that it is because in a motel the resident would not be exposed for long term as oposed to a house. I also use them but I am not sure how well they work because I haven't had mites or lice for at least a few years but I do believe the testimonials listed on this forum. I only started using them late fall so I will know if they work when I don't see any flies in the coop this summer.

Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, and Delawares ,four Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

#20 2010-03-15 19:08:01

chickenlickin'
Growing Member

Somewhere in this forum i read that you cannot eat the eggs if you use these strips is this correct? And do you leave them up for the full 4 months or just for a couple days? :confused:

#21 2010-03-15 20:45:56

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

No, there's no reason to stop eating the eggs, as far as I can tell.
And I leave them up for months; the rate of vapour emission will gradually drop off throughout that period. If you only left them up for a few days, the bug eggs would not be affected and you'd have a new bug problem within a week or two.

#22 2010-03-16 11:22:49

chickenlickin'
Growing Member

Awesome.. thanks for the reply... i am off to home hardware today to pick up a few..:yahoo: Enjoy the beautiful sunny day... how i love the sunny days :woohoo:

#23 2010-03-16 16:26:24

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

As to the level of toxicity, I worried that the chicks would drop over in their chick pen with a pest strip hanging overhead. Nope. Seems to have not affected them at all. Everyone sleeps better without all those crawlers itching and wriggling all over their bodies. Discontinued? Hogwash.

#24 2010-03-16 18:12:14

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

Before we changed the windows, we used to hang them in the house (the old windows let in mosquitoes terribly).  The level of toxicity in the air took at least 2 days to kill a mosquito.  I'm thinking there isn't a lot.

Black Ameraucana

#25 2010-03-21 20:48:55

emjay
A.C.E. Addicted

so the Home Defense pest strips, formerly named Vapona??? teh one pictured at beginning of this topic, this is the ones to get right? if so, I'm getting some today.

so, assuming safe to use with baby chickies in the building too????

#26 2010-03-21 23:50:42

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

I tried several Home Depots and none to be found in Quebec - If someone in Qc has found some please let me know.

Thanks !

Mom to 2 wonderful boys, a White Boxer, an English Mastiff, 3 cats, mixed ducks,  2 geese, 3 Bourbon Red Turkeys and many varieties of free ranging chickens -Ahhhh Life is Grand!!

#27 2010-03-22 01:29:19

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Yup, that's the one. Safe with chicks, yes. Ortho Home Defense MAX No-Pest Strip, 65 g.

#28 2010-03-22 01:51:45

Thunderchick

Cjones28 wrote:

I tried several Home Depots and none to be found in Quebec - If someone in Qc has found some please let me know.

Thanks !

Did you check at Canadian Tire?. Are there Canadian Tire stores in Quebec??

I bought 4 in Medicine Hat last week at the Canadian Tire there.

Good luck, hope you find some. They work so well.

Hens - 8 old tyme mix, 5 EE. Whitmore- 2 Welsummer, 1 black Ameraucana.
Dominiques-7 hens, 3 roos, 4 chicks. Buckeyes - 2 hens.
1 Black & Tan English Shepherd dog,1 outdoor 2 indoor cats- Dec 30 RIP Tiger, Block Horses-2 stallions,1 gelding,4 mares,1 filly
Block Horse info. website- http://webspace.webring.com/people/rb/blockhorsegroup/

#29 2010-03-22 14:11:14

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

And Home Hardware has them across Canada...other brands include Ortho, Vapona and Black Flag.
Our vet uses them in his house and claims his pets there have never had parasites and he has several tropical birds.

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#30 2010-03-22 15:05:59

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

They are no longer recommended for use in houses, or places where people will be for more than four hours a day.

• Index
  •  » Coops
  •  » Long live the no-pest strip!

Board footer