AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Deworming chickens - What product to use?

#1 2010-02-22 10:16:22

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Hello,

I noticed that several of the members here deworm their chickens as a precaution and I am thinking I would like to do the same. I would like to know what products are available for this and where can I get them?

Thanks!

Mom to 2 wonderful boys, a White Boxer, an English Mastiff, 3 cats, mixed ducks,  2 geese, 3 Bourbon Red Turkeys and many varieties of free ranging chickens -Ahhhh Life is Grand!!

#2 2010-02-22 11:23:13

chitaquarott
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Well you can use Piperazine available at local feed stores. I like to use ivormectin pour on for cattle. Five drops for large bird, three for bantam. Goes along way and rids birds of all pests internal and external.

Home of dark brahma standards, black langshan,  ameracauna, buff orpington, coronation sussex, australorp, bourbon red turkeys, naragansett,  jersey giants, sebastopol geese, two quarter horses and Berkshire pigs and highland heifers

Please email directly vs. Pm Please.   chitaquarott@ripnet.com

#3 2010-02-22 12:12:10

Hillsvale
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

pumpkin... and then you don't need to discard the eggs.

http://hillcroftheritagefarm.webs.com/
Small time farmers of tamworth pigs, highland cattle, katahdin sheep, mixed breed sheep, boer goats, african grey geese, muscovy ducks, heritage layers, breeding turkeys - bourbon red, royal palm, eastern wild, slates, beltsville white.

#4 2010-02-22 16:19:05

Bumblebee
A.C.E. Addicted

I was reading cayenne pepper works the same as pumpkin. It is also supposed to kick start hens laying in the winter (never fed it in the summer) and if you put it in the feed it will keep rats and mice out of the feeders.
According to what I read, chickens can't taste spices so they are not affected by the cayenne pepper and it doesn't affect the eggs.
:confused:

Australian Cattle Dogs, Canadian Horses, lots of chickens

#5 2010-02-22 18:16:56

marshasmall
A.C.E. Addicted

Eprinex - easy application and it covers internal and external parasites.

#6 2010-02-22 18:27:04

jette
A.C.E. Addicted

i read somewhere that ducks don't really like spice. it proved true when i fed mine some scraps with even a mild amount of chillies. ducks and chickens truly are quite different in alot of ways though, aren't they. i guess it would be worth trying out. you could put out two mixtures. one with chillies and one without. if they don't touch the spiced one then you can assume that they can at least taste it and preffer the clean mix. if they eat some of both then they obviously don't mind the spice too much. it would be a little harsh to feed them spice wether they suffer or not.

i was just doing some reading about the effects of hot chillies on people in my handy health book and have come to the personal conclusion that spicy chillies are far too cooling to be any good to any creature, especially in the winter. they can also create aggressive personalities. it would be a fine short term supplement for chickens possibly , but long term i really believe it wouldn't suit primarily because hot chillies are not natural to chickens in this climate. if they get to peck a few leftover on the bushes in the garden in the fall, then that may be just the right method of deworming once a year. my ducks strongly avoided the chilly bushes and i'm curious to know if the chickens would do any differently.

things from the garden that may help chickens get rid of parasites{harmlessly as far as i know} include...

fennel seed heads, and fresh fennel greens.
garlic stalks and bulbs{probably chopped}**
parsley**
chives**
chamomille flowers and branches
dandelion flowers and leaves
mint**
leeks
onion
{and probably others}

other herbs that are good against parasites that i haven't tried but could work...{though they're a little stronger}

marjoram
thyme**
rosemary
lavender
yarrow**
{and probably others}

**= well known parasite remedy

others include fairly harsh or toxic herbs where dosage is delicate... use caution with wormwood, tansy, and some others that i've forgotten.

there are many helping hands amongst your garden plants and weeds. there are many great resources for research.

Last edited by jette (2010-02-22 19:13:05)

if you're not confused, you don't know what's going on.
app 70 d'uccles, d'anvers, and various colourful crossbreds.

#7 2010-02-22 20:11:21

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

Wow I didn't know that all those plants could be used. But is garlic and onion not toxic to chickens? I have read numerous times that they are toxic to dogs and cats.

Mom to 2 wonderful boys, a White Boxer, an English Mastiff, 3 cats, mixed ducks,  2 geese, 3 Bourbon Red Turkeys and many varieties of free ranging chickens -Ahhhh Life is Grand!!

#8 2010-02-22 20:58:58

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Our ACA Co-Op layer feed contains 5% by weight of food-grade diatomaceous earth.  A preventive rather than a treatment.  Our 22 month old hens get pumpkin but I rather think we've been lucky and I'd use Eprinex or ivermectin if I spotted any worms.  Knock on wood...

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#9 2010-02-22 23:26:26

Dan Smith
Website

Cjones28 wrote:

Wow I didn't know that all those plants could be used. But is garlic and onion not toxic to chickens? I have read numerous times that they are toxic to dogs and cats.

I don't know where you read that garlic is toxic for dogs but I have many recipes for dog treats and food that all have garlic in them and I have been giving it to my show dogs for over 10 years.  They love the taste.

Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, and Delawares ,four Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

#10 2010-02-22 23:33:39

Dan Smith
Website

Bumblebee wrote:

I was reading cayenne pepper works the same as pumpkin. It is also supposed to kick start hens laying in the winter (never fed it in the summer) and if you put it in the feed it will keep rats and mice out of the feeders.
According to what I read, chickens can't taste spices so they are not affected by the cayenne pepper and it doesn't affect the eggs.

I am sure that spices work as you mentioned but I would pluck on the idea that chickens can't taste spices. Taste buds detect flavors and spice is a flavor and my chickens make it very obvious to me that they prefer one flavor over another and my chickens do like red, yellow and green peppers but don't like onions or mushrooms.  I have come to learn that I can not believe all that I read and even that took me a while to learn because I am very gullible.

Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, and Delawares ,four Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

#11 2010-02-22 23:35:15

jette
A.C.E. Addicted

i've jammed entire garlic cloves into ground beef for dogs in order to deworm them. it seems to work. it's not a new concept at all.

garlic, chive, green onion, chopped onion are all totally fine for chickens to eat. of course that's my own opinion so don't roast me if i'm wrong, but i've heard countless times that they benefit the gut of the bird especially in the case of parasites. {chives are a chickens favourite, chopped up fine}

chickens are pretty smart about their food too. i think that if there were any toxic plants around that they just wouldn't eat it. {rhubarb leaves? although plants toxic to some are others' favourites.}

#12 2010-02-22 23:37:41

jette
A.C.E. Addicted

hey dan smith... your chickens like the coloured peppers... do you mean the sweet bells? or the spicy ones? have you offered them spicy ones? know if they like them too? they're full of vitamin c. in fact they're reputed to some as having the highest concentration of vitamin c of any plant on earth, those red hot chillies.

#13 2010-02-23 00:18:33

Cjones28
I Love A.C.E.

I like the idea of chives. Do you think green onions might work too? I will try the garlic and onions because it is a really cheap way to go. I don't think my birds have any worms but I would like to prevent because with spring on its way so are the bugs.

Thanks!

#14 2010-02-23 01:10:37

ooptec
Banned
Website

Hey,

Foods to Avoid Feeding Your Dog
Veterinary & Aquatic Services Department, Drs. Foster & Smith

http://www.peteducation.com/article.cfm … p;aid=1030

I accidentally wormed my dogs feeding them a stale loaf of french bread sliced lengthwise and smothered in cheese and fresh chili peppers

I'd guess it was the chilies

Maybe chickens are the same

cheers

#15 2010-02-23 16:07:15

Bumblebee
A.C.E. Addicted

Dan Smith wrote:

Bumblebee wrote:

I am sure that spices work as you mentioned but I would pluck on the idea that chickens can't taste spices. Taste buds detect flavors and spice is a flavor and my chickens make it very obvious to me that they prefer one flavor over another and my chickens do like red, yellow and green peppers but don't like onions or mushrooms.  I have come to learn that I can not believe all that I read and even that took me a while to learn because I am very gullible.

I agree.
When my Mom had a egg eater, would blow a egg and put in flour water mixed with Tabasco and that fixed the egg eater, forever. =)

Australian Cattle Dogs, Canadian Horses, lots of chickens

• Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Board footer