AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Deworming chickens - What product to use?

#16 2010-02-23 18:11:51

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Ivermectin, Eprinex,  Verm-X, and Flubenvet are the primary wormers on the market.

It's worth doing a little research so you are comfortable with your choice.  Some get mites and lice too!

Most are broad-spectrum dewormers used on several species at various dosages.

Ivermectin- for the treatment and control of gastrointestinal roundworms, kidneyworms, lungworms, threadworms, lice and mange mites

Eprinex is used to treat: Worms, lice and most mites.

Verm-X is a British product that focuses solely on reducing the use of chemicals in animal husbandry.

Flubenvet is effective against gapeworm, large roundworm, caecal worm, hairworm, and gizzard worm in chickens, turkeys, and geese.

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#17 2010-02-23 19:46:13

jette
A.C.E. Addicted

nice tobascoed egg eater trick... thanks. :veryfunny:

before eprinexing my birds last week i had to wash all the eating eggs even when they'ld been laid an hour previously. now they lay in the nest super, super clean and super, super shiny...it's almost eerie. i think all the girls had slight poop buildup from digestive buglets and the poop dust travelled too well in the nest. now their bums are probably spotless.{haven't actually looked up close.}

Last edited by jette (2010-02-23 19:50:11)

if you're not confused, you don't know what's going on.
app 70 d'uccles, d'anvers, and various colourful crossbreds.

#18 2010-08-10 00:21:00

Scotiacowgirl
Growing Member

How do you feed pumpkin to the chickens? Does it really work?

#19 2010-08-10 01:46:37

chickenlee
A.C.E. Addicted

If using something like ivermectin or eprinex do you have to discard eggs for a certain time period, or are they ok for eating still? How often do you dose the chickens with it?

#20 2011-08-11 19:12:43

Fluffycreatures
Growing Member

I have read most of these things for deworming naturally.  The one I was planning on using is diatomaceous erarth as precaution and garlic in yogurt.  However any of the natural remedies will not get rid of mites.  I understand a drop of ivermectin (or generic brand)  under the wing for silkies is what will work.  Silkies are the only ones I have checked out. But I guess a few more drops for larger birds.

Regarding garlic for dogs -- that is nuts. Dogs absolutely love garlic and just like for us in moderation won't hurt them.  (same as for chocolate since most of it isn't real anyway . I don't go out of my way to give it to them but they don't seem to have any ill effects if they eat something that has a bit.) 

As for onions I believe the same thing about moderation except I have noticed a difference between cooked and raw.  Occasionally hey get a cooked oinion in some of the leftovers and for my maltese at least they they love the flavor and doesn't seem to hurt them. But occassionally when a raw onion got in their food they did throw it up.  So I have concluded it is primarily raw onions that are the culprits. 

I read on here as someone said that chickens don't have taste buds but I can't see how they distinguish their favorites and what they refuse to eat if they don't have something like taste buds to be discretionary.   So I am with you in not believing everything we read .  Context is important to.  So I am going to try the flour water tobasco in the egg -- though it might have more to do with texture since it is not real food.  And animals do seem to know what they need. 
So I guess the question is how they know and we don't.

Oh yes for those that put the flour water & tobasco in the egg.  How did you get it in??

Dianne

#21 2012-01-01 17:33:21

jakenhoss
Growing Member

Cjones28 wrote:

Wow I didn't know that all those plants could be used. But is garlic and onion not toxic to chickens? I have read numerous times that they are toxic to dogs and cats.

Hello, I am new to this forum but yes, raw onions are deadly for dogs as is chocolate, but a little in moderation won't hurt. It's when they get a lot of both, but garlic actually helps to keep ticks and fleas off of your dogs.

Last edited by jakenhoss (2012-01-01 17:41:45)

1 Americauna, 1 Bantam Cochin Roo, 1 Barred Rock, 1 SexLink, 2 Australorps, 1 blk speckled Cochin, 1 white Cochin, 1 Buff Orpington Roo, 1  Black American Game Bantam, 1 Silver American Game Bantam, 1 Bantam leg horn, 1 Bantam Leg Horn Roo, 4 Dogs, 1 Cat, and a Koi Pond. 
    :smallguy:     :dance"                       RIP Lucie and Red. I love and miss you very much   :crying:

#22 2012-01-02 06:27:36

Dan Smith
Website

Hi jette, sorry to be so late answering your question but I just noticed it now. The peppers that I feed them are just green , yellow and red but not the spicy ones.

Scotiacowgirl, Just feed pumpkin raw if you can I have read where raw is a good wormer but I am not sure if processed in a can will do the trick. Does anyone else have more info on that?

Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, and Delawares ,four Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

#23 2012-01-02 08:33:43

Qualicum Chick
A.C.E. Addicted

I have heard about pumpkin too ... I have also heard that it is the seeds that do the job.  However, it is rather irrelevant seeing as none of my chickens will eat pumpkin or their seeds ... but then, I have very picky chickens for some reason ;-)

Live in Qualicum Beach, B.C., have a loving and patient husband, 3 wonderful dogs, 1 clever Maroon Bellied Conure, 2 sweet Bourke's Parakeets, 1 African Grey, 1 Jenday Conure, and a whole 'mess' of various chickens and ducks!

#24 2012-03-29 00:35:13

dreamergirl
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

So where do I find Flubenvet?   Is it hard to find?

LynneP wrote:

Ivermectin, Eprinex,  Verm-X, and Flubenvet are the primary wormers on the market.

It's worth doing a little research so you are comfortable with your choice.  Some get mites and lice too!

Most are broad-spectrum dewormers used on several species at various dosages.

Ivermectin- for the treatment and control of gastrointestinal roundworms, kidneyworms, lungworms, threadworms, lice and mange mites

Eprinex is used to treat: Worms, lice and most mites.

Verm-X is a British product that focuses solely on reducing the use of chemicals in animal husbandry.

Flubenvet is effective against gapeworm, large roundworm, caecal worm, hairworm, and gizzard worm in chickens, turkeys, and geese.

Raising French Black Copper Marans

#25 2012-03-29 01:44:26

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Eprinecks (sorry no eks) all the way for me.

Lasts a few months, no withdrawl for eggs or meat, not cheap but worth it.

I have no belief in natural remedies for parasites.  Perhaps pumpkin or garlic might help somewhat repel worms in an otherwise healthy chickens but if they already have the critters I can't find any scientific studies that support that these foods will erdicate them.  If you have a link to such a study I would love to read it!

In the meantime, a good dose of scientifically tried, tested and true chemcals are sure to keep your animals healthy, thrifty and parasite free.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#26 2012-03-29 11:16:24

chicken bandit
A.C.E. Addicted

Ok now my big question is after you do something like this you can not eat the eggs but can you still colack them for hatching or are they done
or do you throw them to the ravens and de worm them to LOL

#27 2012-03-29 13:37:04

Country Thyme Farm
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Schipperkesue wrote:

Eprinecks (sorry no eks) all the way for me.
I have no belief in natural remedies for parasites.  Perhaps pumpkin or garlic might help somewhat repel worms in an otherwise healthy chickens but if they already have the critters I can't find any scientific studies that support that these foods will erdicate them.  If you have a link to such a study I would love to read it!

In the meantime, a good dose of scientifically tried, tested and true chemcals are sure to keep your animals healthy, thrifty and parasite free.

Nearly all of these tested and true chemicals are originally derived botanically, meaning there is a plant or microbe somewhere that produces them naturally. You believe in using chemicals derived from plants but not believe in using the plants they were derived from naturally?

For example, the acticve ingredient in Eprinex is eprinomectrin, which is a synthetic form of avermectrin, the main ingredient in ivermectrin (so many mectrins!) which is derived from an actinomycete (a soil dwelling microbe). Would not using agricultural practices that encourage the presence of these organisms in the soil be at least as valid in parasite management to you?

I hear you advocating an eradication approach to parasite management here, which I can tell you as a professional trained extensively in pest management never works in the long run. With the sole exception of small pox, humans have never managed to eradicate any pest and in fact it is now acknowledged by scientists that despite such widespread use of chemical pesticides, pest pressures are actually higher than they were before we started using them. It deeply worries me that so many people recognize ths fact when it comes to pesticides used on plants, but ignore it when it comes to antibiotic use for humans and animals.

Keep in mind that I am not saying never to use Eprinex or ivomectrin, they are very valuable tools. But we should be focusing on prevention in our practices, not just reacting when parasites inevitably appear.

This article has some decent overall information on parasite management (http://eap.mcgill.ca/agrobio/ab370-04e.htm) You may find it a little fru fru la la, I do too in certain parts (ie. the discussion of which phase of the moon to use dewormers) but it has much that is valuable regarding prevention.

Last edited by Country Thyme Farm (2012-03-29 13:38:02)

Ducks!

#28 2012-03-29 13:51:38

Country Thyme Farm
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Oh, I should add that you are right about garlic and pumpkin seeds being unable to eradicate parasites. They should be treated solely as preventatives.

Ducks!

#29 2012-03-29 14:17:51

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Prevention is ekzactly what I am saying here, CTF:

Schipperkesue wrote:

Perhaps pumpkin or garlic might help somewhat repel worms in an otherwise healthy chickens but if they already have the critters I can't find any scientific studies that support that these foods will erdicate them.

Give all the natural wormers you wish to your healthy chickens and you MAY help them to reseist parasites, just as clean bedding, fresh air, good food, clear water, and new pasture will keep their bodies strong and their minds happy and aid in their ability to resist the little critters.

However, the original question was asking what product to use to deworm chickens, and that is the question I am answering.  I don't think natural remedies will eradicate parasites the same way a safe, amped up, scientifically proven, chemical compound created specifically to disrupt the life of parasites will work.

I worry that people will read "pumpkin" and say, "Well, I am doing the right holistic, natural, organic thing here.  I am going to serve my chickens a little pumpkin and that will take care of my whole problem", then months down the line after the wormload and condition of their birds has driven them into the ground, have a serious health problem on their hands.  I am concerned that people will sell their birds after giving them garlic and tell the new owners they have just been wormed, thus intoducing serious worm problems on to an otherwise unaffected property.

And ChickenBandit , Eprinecks (sorry, no eks) has zero egg and meat withdrawl which means you can eat the eggs and meat from freshly dosed chickens.  The eggs are still good for hatching.  And you pay for this priviledge too.  I just bought a 1 L bottle for $250

Last edited by Schipperkesue (2012-03-29 14:19:43)

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#30 2012-03-29 14:25:40

dreamergirl
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

I checked with my vet and they only have tetracycline and Linco spectin in stock.
They don't have anything containing flubendazole.

Raising French Black Copper Marans

• Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Board footer