AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Deworming chickens - What product to use?

#31 2012-03-29 14:40:43

Schipperkesue
Administrator
From: Carnwood, Alberta
Registered: 2010-04-08
Posts: 15558

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Dreamergirl, my vet will order whatever I ask them to order and it will be there within a week.  Ask them to order what you want and if they won't, ask another vet.

Oh, must add- I use fenbendazole on my dogs.  Sounds like the same thing.  It is sold under the name of SafeGuard.  You can buy a 1/2 L bottle for about $100 here.

Last edited by Schipperkesue (2012-03-29 14:43:19)


Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

Offline

 

#32 2012-03-29 15:04:48

Country Thyme Farm
A.C.E. Addicted
From: Bowden, AB
Registered: 2011-02-20
Posts: 391
Website

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Schipperkesue wrote:

Prevention is ekzactly what I am saying here, CTF

Point taken!

I do however always wonder when I see somebody offering birds that were just dewormed; did the bird even have worms to begin with?

As a personal choice, partly to do with my own breeding goals I consider a bird having been dewormed for any reason with any product a deal breaker and walk away. I am also implementing quarantine procedures though. Because of that, I didn't consider the idea of somebody advertising dewormed birds having just given pumpkin seeds and causing problems to the buyer. This is an excellent point Schipperkesue!


Ducks!

Offline

 

#33 2012-03-29 15:23:33

dreamergirl
A.C.E. Addicted
From: Cobden, Ontario
Registered: 2009-06-03
Posts: 318
Website

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

I might have to check with another vet.

My local feed store carries Piperazine, but isn't that only for round worms?



Schipperkesue wrote:

Dreamergirl, my vet will order whatever I ask them to order and it will be there within a week.  Ask them to order what you want and if they won't, ask another vet.

Oh, must add- I use fenbendazole on my dogs.  Sounds like the same thing.  It is sold under the name of SafeGuard.  You can buy a 1/2 L bottle for about $100 here.


Raising French Black Copper Marans

Offline

 

#34 2012-03-29 15:57:54

Schipperkesue
Administrator
From: Carnwood, Alberta
Registered: 2010-04-08
Posts: 15558

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

When I sell birds, I usually quarantine them from my general population for a week before they go to their new home so I can observe them and make sure they are completely healthy.  This usually includes a dose of Eprinecks to make sure they are worm-free.  I observe these birds carefully to ensure the buyer is not in for any unpleasant surprises, health-wise.  I also recommend a good quarantine on the buyer's end as well.


Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

Offline

 

#35 2012-03-29 16:11:20

dreamergirl
A.C.E. Addicted
From: Cobden, Ontario
Registered: 2009-06-03
Posts: 318
Website

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

And you get that from the Vet?  Or does the feed store carry it?
It's the same stuff they use for cattle?

Schipperkesue wrote:

When I sell birds, I usually quarantine them from my general population for a week before they go to their new home so I can observe them and make sure they are completely healthy.  This usually includes a dose of Eprinecks to make sure they are worm-free.  I observe these birds carefully to ensure the buyer is not in for any unpleasant surprises, health-wise.  I also recommend a good quarantine on the buyer's end as well.


Raising French Black Copper Marans

Offline

 

#36 2012-03-29 19:19:36

Schipperkesue
Administrator
From: Carnwood, Alberta
Registered: 2010-04-08
Posts: 15558

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

The epriecks is from the vet- same stuff for cattle.  You will probably have a more willing vet if he is a country vet as opposed to a city vet.


Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

Offline

 

#37 2012-03-29 20:50:05

dreamergirl
A.C.E. Addicted
From: Cobden, Ontario
Registered: 2009-06-03
Posts: 318
Website

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Ok will give em a call and see what happens.

Thanks


Raising French Black Copper Marans

Offline

 

#38 2013-03-27 19:47:34

ChickieBooBoo
I Love A.C.E.
From: Winnipeg MB
Registered: 2009-12-25
Posts: 7953

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Does anyone know if this might work for poultry? http://winnipeg.kijiji.ca/c-pets-livest … Z469034847 I've never owned horses or anything so I'm really not familiar with this product. Does it expire? How much should I use?


You haven't seen a tree until you've seen it's shadow from the sky. --Amelia Earhart

Offline

 

#39 2016-01-08 17:48:03

niglefritz
Moderator
From: MB
Registered: 2012-02-21
Posts: 1755

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

I realize that this conversation is older and a sticky, but I wanted to add that broad or narrow leafed plantain is an excellent dewormer...for people and for horses. Not just as a preventative, but to clear them out after they are infected. I bet it would work just as well on poultry.

For people, a few cups of strong tea for a while (don't remember how long) works. For our little colts who came with worms...they gobbled down a pail full of the leaves, and after 2 weeks,  there were no worms seen in their road apples. I should add...it could have been sooner, but I think that dd only thought of checking again after 2 weeks.

We fed some to our ducks and chickens and they quickly downed the leaves and wanted more.

There would be no withdrawal time, as plantain is a safe food.

The roots are healthy too.  I don't know if they contain the same properties.  The seeds are very high in omega 3s.

Last edited by niglefritz (2016-01-08 17:51:25)


FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

Online

 

#40 2016-01-08 21:33:12

susanr
Moderator
From: Grenfell, Saskatchewan
Registered: 2010-03-11
Posts: 4825

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Thanks for the info nigle.  I didn't know that about plantain but do have lots of it growing around here.  I'll keep watch for it in the spring & give the chickies a treat :D


Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

Offline

 

#41 2016-01-10 01:27:48

niglefritz
Moderator
From: MB
Registered: 2012-02-21
Posts: 1755

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

You are welcome.

I should add that you can dry it for winter use, use it as a healing poultice, to rid the blood of poisoning and use it in salves. Research it. It is amazing stuff. :thumbsup:


FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: sp. sussex; true ameraucana pair; Cayuga or West Indies ducks
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

Online

 

#42 2016-01-10 20:24:13

Dan Smith
Moderator
From: Calgary, Alberta
Registered: 2009-05-08
Posts: 4440
Website

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

dreamergirl wrote:

I might have to check with another vet.

My local feed store carries Piperazine, but isn't that only for round worms?



Schipperkesue wrote:

Dreamergirl, my vet will order whatever I ask them to order and it will be there within a week.  Ask them to order what you want and if they won't, ask another vet.

Oh, must add- I use fenbendazole on my dogs.  Sounds like the same thing.  It is sold under the name of SafeGuard.  You can buy a 1/2 L bottle for about $100 here.

Piperazine covers much more than just round worms.


Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, and Delawares ,four Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

Offline

 

#43 2016-01-10 21:06:31

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted
From: Near Invermere, BC
Registered: 2012-12-02
Posts: 1199

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

I can't find anything for Piperzine other than round worms and thread worms (not even sure if poultry get them)
What else does it work against?

Offline

 

#44 2016-02-15 00:58:35

bcboy
I Love A.C.E.
From: Vernon
Registered: 2012-06-18
Posts: 1732
Website

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Valbazen Fenbendazole Panacur
Brand name Safeguard

BENZIMIDAZOLES
http://parasitipedia.net/index.php?opti … temid=2701

Last edited by bcboy (2016-02-15 00:59:13)

Offline

 

#45 2016-02-15 12:53:55

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.
From: New Brunswick
Registered: 2009-01-14
Posts: 5200

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

niglefritz wrote:

I realize that this conversation is older and a sticky, but I wanted to add that broad or narrow leafed plantain is an excellent dewormer...for people and for horses. Not just as a preventative, but to clear them out after they are infected. I bet it would work just as well on poultry.

For people, a few cups of strong tea for a while (don't remember how long) works. For our little colts who came with worms...they gobbled down a pail full of the leaves, and after 2 weeks,  there were no worms seen in their road apples. I should add...it could have been sooner, but I think that dd only thought of checking again after 2 weeks.

We fed some to our ducks and chickens and they quickly downed the leaves and wanted more.

There would be no withdrawal time, as plantain is a safe food.

The roots are healthy too.  I don't know if they contain the same properties.  The seeds are very high in omega 3s.

Had to look them up.  Heck, we have all kinds around here!  Everyone's getting a feed of them once things start growing again.


Black Ameraucana

Offline

 
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Board footer

Powered by FluxBB
Hosted by PunBB-Hosting