AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over TWENTY NINE HUNDRED Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2010-02-24 02:31:40

jjchick

Pasty or poop stuck on butts

I have one chick that has dried up poop stuck on it's butt. I removed it yesterday and it is back today as if no action had been taken. What can I do? It seems to be healthy, have seen it drink and eat.

#2 2010-02-24 02:35:13

Prairie Chick
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Pasty or poop stuck on butts

I think this could be caused by temp changes.  Just keep picking the pasty poop off its bum.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you get, give.  If you learn, teach.... Maya Angelou

#3 2010-02-24 02:39:11

ipf
A.C.E. Addicted

Eating and drinking are one thing; pooping is another. If you see him/her straining, you need to take action and clear it off; chicks can die from this. If it gets too thick and hard, it can bung him/her up completely.
We are relatively ruthless, and pull it off, rather than trying to wipe it clean. This results in a little bald patch, but then there's no fluff for the poop to stick to, which is a good thing.

#4 2010-02-24 04:44:41

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Smiling, I do the same as ipf, I just pick it off, sometimes some fuzzy little butt fluff comes off too. I am of the mind that this is also caused from the excrement of the yolk sac.  Once all the food that they start to eat gets moving through well, that sticky egg yolk poopy greeny uglieeee poop will not be coming out anymore.  Pretty sure that is what causes it.  I have raised chicks in very warm places and some still seem to get that pasty butt stuff, not all of them just a couple here and there.  Pick it off, it can plug the vent right up and then they will certainly pass to another world.  Have that wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#5 2010-02-24 05:21:50

VancouverIslandChicks
Website

When I had this happen, I trimmed off all the dried poop and the fuzz it was stuck to, with little nail scissors. Then I mixed a teaspoon of probiotic yogurt into their crumbles. Problem solved! Hope it clears up for you.

Home to Black Australorps, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes, Wheaten Marans, Light Sussex and Lavender Orpingtons.

http://westcoastfarm.webs.com/

#6 2010-04-11 15:42:34

emjay
A.C.E. Addicted

how do you clean pasty butt chicks that are with a protective mama?? I have two, from the looks of it, the poo doesn't seem to be on the important area, but, I'd rather be safe then sorry.
if I am to grab the chicks out, they make that nice little scream that gets mama all mad, I don't want her tromping on her otehr babies to get to me.
best way to fix this one?? thanks.

#7 2010-04-11 15:47:20

ipf
A.C.E. Addicted

Chicks with mum don't need cleaning. The reason incubator-hatched chicks get pasty butt is that the air in the brooder is dry. When chicks are with mum, the air under her is much more moist, and the poo doesn't harden sufficiently to cause problems.
I've had hundreds of chicks hatch with broody hens, and NEVER had a case of pasty butt with any of them. Hatchery chicks, yes, and often.

#8 2010-04-11 15:59:28

emjay
A.C.E. Addicted

so how long do I leave these two chicks with the poop then? will the mama eventually grab it off?
I also have some probiotic yogurt, should I mix some in their food, wouldn't hurt anyways, right?

#9 2010-04-11 16:26:08

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

It might be a symptom of coccidiosis, too, are you using medicated feed?

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#10 2010-04-11 16:28:27

peachykeen

When this happens, I soak their little bum bums in warm water and then gently qtip it off or cut it with a tiny pair of scissors. Then I give their little behinds a haircut with the same scissors and away they go. Never had the problem happen twice once the hair is removed.

#11 2010-04-11 16:54:44

emjay
A.C.E. Addicted

they are on medicated starter.

#12 2010-04-11 16:58:28

ipf
A.C.E. Addicted

Yogurt defnitely won't hurt. I would just leave them alone; they'll be fine. No point in upsetting mum and babies.

#13 2010-04-12 11:09:13

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Glad to hear it probably isn't cocci- I had only one who did that and it stopped after 2 washings.  I used moistened Q tips to roll the matter off.

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#14 2010-04-12 13:37:11

Dan Smith
Website

An ice cream pail with warm water and I just hold butt under surface of warm water then rub with my fingers and it always works and doesn't risk cutting them with scissors and doesn't make butt bald.  Usually chicks that get shipped from hatchery that get chilled will most likely get pasty rears. Many of my Ideal chicks had it but cleared up quickly and none of my own chicks hatched at home ever have it.

Home to Black Copper Marans,Blue Copper Marans, Barnevelder's, True Ameraucana's, Welsummer's , Autralorp's, two Doberman Pinscher's, three son's ( two still at home ) and a patient and loving wife.

#15 2010-04-12 15:28:33

emjay
A.C.E. Addicted

well the one baby still has poop there, but doesn't look to be on the vent area.
however, the other one, my one yellow with a hint of chocolate has a small flat , very flat, patch of poop on its butt. It's still acting okay, but, I hate seeing that.
how do I fix that without upsetting mum, or still just leave it? It's a dilemma.

Board footer