AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2010-04-12 17:22:58

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Pasty or poop stuck on butts

emjay I'd use the Q-tip method since the chickie is with momma.

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#17 2010-04-12 20:31:19

emjay
A.C.E. Addicted

how do you get the chick to sit still for that, and not have mama go freaky with me poking at its baby

#18 2010-04-12 20:34:38

emjay
A.C.E. Addicted

oh, and I phoned Buckerfields today, as I had a horrible feeling I had un medicated feed. Yup, I was right, they gave me an unmedicated bag, when I asked for medicated.
Took that bag back today, told the lady I was having some issues with the chick, she says to me.

"CHICKS DIE, I BURY CHICKS ALL THE TIME, YOU'LL HAVE TO GET USED TO IT. I FEED UNMEDICATED, DOESN'T SEEM TO AFFECT THEM ANY DIFFERENT THEN MEDICATED FEED"

not the answer I was looking for, more like 'oops, sorry about that'  that would have worked better for me.
not impressed at all.

#19 2010-04-12 23:09:26

Farmer Craig
Growing Member

just make sure the vent is clear and try adding a pinch of oatmeal to the feed for a couple of days - should all go away in a day or two...

Last edited by Farmer Craig (2010-04-12 23:10:06)

#20 2010-04-13 12:31:34

LynneP
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I hold a chick in one hand and roll the Q-tip with the other, keeping a tiny vial of water alongside;  you have to work fast, I know.
Sorry to hear about the feed, hopefully the new bag will sort things...( you know the lady is wrong, right?)

Regard it as just as desirable to build a chicken house as to build a cathedral. ~Frank Lloyd Wright

#21 2010-04-13 14:40:09

skyandmtns
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Hi Craig-Curious as to why the oatmeal ?
:hi:
grace

Silkies - White    Australorps   -Miller Hatchery Isa Browns
  A Boarding Kennel
A Doberman-A Pom-A Border Collie-A Malti/Poo-three cats--A hard working DH- and Twin 15 yr old Great Grandaughters who really like their animals

#22 2010-04-13 15:01:21

emjay
A.C.E. Addicted

oh yes, Lynne, I know she was wrong. I was biting my tongue, trust me. haha. when she said 'chicks die all the time', I Felt like saying. 'not on my watch', or 'not if I can help it'.  she was just saying that I'm sure to cover their butts, I must have looked stupid to her for her tosay that. frustrating to say theleast.

the qtip is a great idea, but, I would probably have to take the chick out to do that, ain't no way mama going to let me do that in the pen.

#23 2010-07-05 19:50:12

TruNorth
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Can anyone help me with a really persistent pasty butt problem?  I've dealt with stuck butts before with hatchery chicks, and my impression was that as soon as they expelled thoroughly a few times they would not stick up again -- like, 2 days max.  But I've got a whole batch of baby show birds here that I'm brooding for someone else -- Sumatras, Langshans, Sultans -- and at 2 WEEKS old these little guys are still growing bustles almost every day.  They don't have coccidiosis and they are being fed the same starter crumble that I've always fed.  Some home hatched chicks in the same pen have no problem whatsoever.  So what can I do for these pasty little guys?

"Of course, a large mob of Light Sussex look at their best when running on a field!" - S.C. Sharpe, 1920

Check out the True North Heritage Hatchery website!  http://truenorthfarm.ca/  
Order Mistral Gris through me.

Board footer