AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2012-01-28 16:10:20

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Orthopedic Shoes

Just wanted to bump this as so many of us are already or will be hatching eggs soon:) Any other links you can remember that will be helpful please bump the as well.

:babydust:

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

#17 2012-01-29 01:09:46

TruNorth
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I love it!  I hadn't seen this before, so glad you bumped.  You are very clever.

"Of course, a large mob of Light Sussex look at their best when running on a field!" - S.C. Sharpe, 1920

Check out the True North Heritage Hatchery website!  http://truenorthfarm.ca/  
Order Mistral Gris through me.

#18 2012-05-13 05:36:07

Arda
Growing Member

Thanks for the pictures. I have my little naked neck, Binky, fitted with orthopaedic shoes now. Poor little thing also has a hobble leg brace to help with spraddled legs and is getting physiotherapy to help with walking four or more times per day (from me).
Anyway,  I'm new to chickens so I was very happy to find out there was something I could do other than just checking every couple of hours to see if the little (mostly) fluff ball had died. Now I'm just hoping its a pullet; I'd be sad not to be able to keep Binky after we've bonded so well during our physiotherapy sessions.
Again, thank you so much for the great details on making orthopaedic shoes :Thankx2:

#19 2012-06-01 18:29:54

Crooked Coop
I Love A.C.E.

bump for smokyriver:)

Icelandic Sheep, heritage layers

#20 2013-05-09 18:08:02

Quiltedchicken
Growing Member

I bought 3 4 to 6 week old chicks about 2 weeks ago.  I miossed noticing that one chick has the centre toe on each foot folded severely to the side.  Would it work to try the orthopedic shoes with her, gradually straightening the toes, or is it too late?
Also, our 2 year old roo attacked me with his spurs the other day.  He must have really wacked one spur because it bled a little and he limped for awhile.  Then seemed okay.  That was Monday.  Yesterday and earlier this morning he seemed fine.  Then noticed he was limping again.  Looked carefully at it.  The spur is well secured, no fresh blood, tho the ankle? is slightly swollen and warmish.  There is just a very little bit or dried old blood at the meeting of the spur and his leg.  He doesn't resist when I gently pressed around the area, so not sure if I should just continue to observe, or try to get some tea tree oil into the area? Or anything else? 
Thanks Cathy

1 German shepherd/whippet cross, 1 Border Collie/ Newfie cross, 1 Torbie, 1 "Talking" cat, Amercaunas, lohmans, cochins and euskal oilas

#21 2013-05-09 18:59:04

Schipperkesue
Administrator

It is possible your roo pressed his spur into his own leg and did a little internal damage.  He might be fighting off a little infection there.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#22 2013-05-10 02:58:22

Quiltedchicken
Growing Member

Should I be treating him for infection, if so, how?

1 German shepherd/whippet cross, 1 Border Collie/ Newfie cross, 1 Torbie, 1 "Talking" cat, Amercaunas, lohmans, cochins and euskal oilas

#23 2013-05-10 04:27:40

Qualicum Chick
A.C.E. Addicted

bow2u

Live in Qualicum Beach, B.C., have a loving and patient husband, 3 wonderful dogs, 1 clever Maroon Bellied Conure, 2 sweet Bourke's Parakeets, 1 African Grey, 1 Jenday Conure, and a whole 'mess' of various chickens and ducks!

#24 2013-07-19 20:11:54

ThinkingChicken
I Love A.C.E.

hmm maybe ill try round pieces of cardboard i cant seem to get such lil toes straight lol any tips?

Last edited by ThinkingChicken (2013-07-19 20:12:26)

4 AustralorpS ,2 WelsummerS ,2 Light Sussex and 2 Jersey Giants 2 Brahma crosses

Board footer