AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » What do you have in your poultry 1st aid kit

#16 2010-11-14 16:43:17

boothcreek
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Re: What do you have in your poultry 1st aid kit

My kit is pretty basic.

Sterile Gut sewing kit from the Vet(needle with the thread that dissolves on its own) to stitch up wounds(great for scalping victims).
Betadine
Hydrogen Peroxide
sharp knife or scalpel(gotta get closed up infected areas opened and drained somehow)\
Bandages
Tape
Calm Nerves(some patience or injuries really test those)

RAA's Shagyas, Dexters, Fancy Fowl and American Black Bellied Barbados and European Mouflon Sheep
Boothcreek Ranch, Cranbrook, BC
www.boothcreekranch.com
PLEASE EMAIL, NO PM's

#17 2011-03-01 23:09:12

Head Over Heels
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Picked up my bottle of Germe-zone at local feed store. The label advises that it "is a valuable astringent in birds with Simple Diarrhea resulting from chilling or improper food, & is an antiseptic application for Occular Roup or Swelled Head, Eversion of Oviduct, Sore eyes, Vent Gleet". It also states it is "a very effective & beneficial antiseptic application to the skin & semi-exterior membranes". Can be used full strength on wounds & cuts, or as a diluted wash: 1 part Germe-Zone to 25 parts water. It is also apparently useful as an eye wash?

Pocket Poultry Paddocks...White Bearded Silkies, Pied & Fawn Muscovies, East Indie Ducks,  Mandarins, Jersey Buff, Royal Palm & Sweetgrass Turkeys, Buff Brahmas, Golden & Silver Pheonix & White Ring-Necked Doves!

Pocket Pony Paddocks...proudly owned by 2 Spotted Mini-donkeys, 3 horses, Marble & Pebbles the Nubian goats....lol! 3 beautiful dogs...Wookie, Bailey & Arwynn!

#18 2011-03-02 01:15:54

ooptec
Banned
Website

Henh,

The girls (and odd boy) around here are either fit and mobile or missing...... 2 in 3 years were found dead.

Don't have a lot of 3 yr olds but still some. Now got rid of the pyrenese haven't noticed anyone missing.

cheers

#19 2011-03-23 19:54:04

silkiebantam
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I use things that I keep in our personal first aid kit, and I have a few chicken meds and stuff like that.  I think that living out of town, and having kids and animals and sometimes being by myself while the hubbies gone out of town, you cant go wrong with a well stocked first aid kit.

Things I have in the main kit:
Sterile gauze
big pack of small non-sterile gauze
rolled gauze
medical tape (a few different ones)
tension bandages
triangle bandage
Bandaids that you cut to size
regular bandaides, including water proof, heavy duty, and blister cushions
stretchy self sticking sort of a cotton bandage
suture strips
cotton swabs
finger splint
tampons (for either large puncture wounds or bullet wounds, (I read that in a book somewhere))
those finger condoms (can't remember what they are called)
Scalpel
various blades for the scalpel
surgical scissors
assorted tweezers
nail clippers assorted
nail file
Alcohol wipes
Saline for flushing wounds
Syringes, different ones.  I found some cool ones that have a fine pretty long curved tip that I think will be useful.

Also,
Topical Anestetic
Spray on rubbing Alcohol
Spray on Peroxide
Ozonol
Polysporine
Canesten
Hibitane (for fungal infections, abscesses, skin infections and wounds, and after minor surgeries)
Electrovite
Piperazine
Super boost
Stress Aid
Oxy Tetra A
Stop Pick
Dusting Powder
Vaseline

That's about all I can think of at this time.  The husband told me last night that I should pick up some a suture kit, as well.

Last edited by silkiebantam (2011-03-23 19:58:32)

Have you squeezed your Cochin today?

#20 2011-04-14 16:29:18

just ducky
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Quoting: (even if they couldn't save Teriyaki's life, they made a darn good effort.)
All vets will do this....at your expense of course!

My list for chickens includes

Dry Kill
Ivomectin
Piperazine
or Sulmet
Iodide
towels
Quick chick
Eye dropper
syringe
Vircon
extra heat bulb
email links to sites I have found to be helpful

12 years breeding Indian Runner Ducks,  also have GL polish, Mini Appaloosa, Myotonic Goats.
Still do some Farm and Pet care
Granimals = SIX ...one of my twins just had twins!

#21 2011-04-18 18:40:46

Herbwalker
Growing Member
Website

As we continue to keep and learn about chickens my first aid kit grows a bit. One of our chickens injured her foot somehow. Her back toe was swollen, pale, and the tip lost. We brought her in so that we could keep her environment as clean as possible. We cleaned her wound in first water, then a combination of colloidal silver and calendula water (hydrosol), then applied honey and a bandage. It's been a while now, but she's trucking around great now, with colour returned, shape returned, and none the worse for wear it seems.

craazeee herbalist :D

Buckeyes and Americaunas. Hopefully bees again in a year or so.

• Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » What do you have in your poultry 1st aid kit

Board footer