AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#31 2009-06-28 02:38:06

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Mite problems?

Velvet Sparrow's Information Page I found is really good and offers advice on mites. It also includes the use of Ivermectin and how to mix it.
http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

I use Panomec which is for horses that has ivermectin. I used the formula for mixing which is on Velvet Sparrows site [the Panomec mixed very well with no difficulty] and administerd a few drops in the beak. I was very pleased with the results. It killed everything, both the neck and vent mites.

For spot control I use a dusting powder for mites which I picked up at our local feed&tack. It's a big-butt container and kind of awkward to use. I just sprinkle some on my hand and then hand dust my birds around the vent and rump and around the neck. In the outdoor months, I just do my birds outside. In the winter, I will sit the effected bird in my bathtub and work the powder on then just rise the tub afterwards.

Taking things a day at a time.

#32 2009-06-28 06:37:07

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

About 20 messages back someone suggested Vapona strips. I followed that up - they are now marketed by Ortho, called "Ortho® Home Defense Max™ No Pest Strip".

The active ingredient is dichlorvos, the same stuff they used to put in the first generation of flea collars for dogs and cats; apparently it’s still in some flea sprays. They used to use it in household fly strips too, but that use has now been un-recommended. It is still recommended for barns, poultry houses, and (interestingly) motels; which suggests that they think it’s ok to breathe a bit of it, but not 24/7. Only limitation that I can see is that your coop needs to be semi-airtight, or at least not completely open to wind blowing through; the stuff needs to vaporise and stick around for a while.

One strip works for 30 cubic metres, which, by coincidence, is the volume of my coop. Cost about $14; says it lasts for up to 4 months, so you’d kill all the mites and lice as they hatch. Of course it won’t kill internal parasites and probably not scaly leg mites either.

SO - I bought one three days ago. Before I hung it up, I knew I had roost mites; big globs of them under the roosts, and I'd have a few crawlies on me after collecting eggs. Today - nothing!!!

So, I think it's better than Eprinex for external parasites, as:
a) you don't have to individually treat every bird
b) one strip lasts for 4 months, so will kill critters as they hatch
c) it's not off-label use, but is sanctioned by "them".

Available at Home Depot and some Home Hardwares.

#33 2009-06-28 15:20:03

klorinth
I Love A.C.E.
Website

IPF,

Are you talking about the one that that is yellow in colour and enclosed in a white plastic "cage" that has a sort of hook on the top? Sounds like the same thing. I used that in our old house. It was a hundred year old character with a rubblestone basement. The previous owners had down nothing much to keep the basement clean for maybe 15 years by the time we moved in. There was a bit of an infestation of insects and arachnids. I cleaned the place out then hung one of those for the rest of the summer. I must say that I think it worked. We did not have central air so the basement air did not flow up into the rest of the house very quickly. I did have to add spider traps, they were not effected by it, at least the Brown Wolf spiders were not.

Just another thought: Would not the active ingredient of Ashes be Lye? Same thing as in old fashioned hand made soap. I've made soap with ashes before, and I was told it was the lye in the ashes that made it work. Hardwood ash having more than soft.
========================

It seems to me that all of the suggestions listed here are good ones. I've also used the Ivermectin(ivomec), Strongid-T(made by pfizer), and UltraShield(Permethrin/Pyrethrin/Piperonyl Butoxide). All of these for our dogs and cats.

I would think that a combination of all of them would be appropriate. First prevention and risk reduction(proper coop/flock size, UltraShield, DE/ash dusting), and then treatment of infestations(Ivermectin, Strongid-T, etc). This is all standard public health kind of stuff.

Pick the combination that works for you a give it a go. Seems to me most combinations should work fairly well. We all need to remember that Mother Nature is always smarter than us. She will always find a way to get around whatever we do. By this I mean that no matter what we do we will have the occasional outbreak of things like fleas and mites. We cannot stop that from happening, only minimize the outbreaks and maximize the health of our flocks and animals. That is the hope anyway.

Norrbottenspets, Akbash, Dark Cornish, Cuckoo Marans, Buff Chantecler, White Chantecler, Partridge Chantecler, Ameraucana, Beltsville Small White Turkey, Shetland and Texel Sheep.

"If there is a way to overcome the suffering, then there is no need to worry; if there is no way to overcome the suffering, then there is no use in worrying." Shantideva

#34 2009-06-28 16:01:52

Prairie Chick
I Love A.C.E.

toybarons wrote:

Velvet Sparrow's Information Page I found is really good and offers advice on mites. It also includes the use of Ivermectin and how to mix it.
http://jackshenhouse.com/VSChickHealth.htm

Thanks for that link, it is very informative :thumbsup:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If you get, give.  If you learn, teach.... Maya Angelou

#35 2009-06-28 21:49:14

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

IPF thanks for that info. I'm going to try it.

I actually use those in my home. A few years ago there was a bumper crop of mosquitos. Every time you'd open the door a bunch load would come in. I found those Ortho strips in Canadian Tire and bought it not really expecting it to work. Well I was amazed how well they did work.

Funny thing is I never realized that you are not supposed to use them in the house. I think it says on the package that it's okay if exposre is a couple of hours but 24/7 is no good. I still use one in the house. With everything else that will kill you these days, I rather chance it that being bugged my mosquitos.

Taking things a day at a time.

#36 2009-10-22 03:55:05

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Wonder if the Ortho strips kill the mites, or just make them leave the stinky chemically smelling area? Anyone know for sure?

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#37 2009-10-22 12:06:45

tamatik
A.C.E. Addicted

I have never smelled anything from the no pest strips.but they do work..for me..as for ashes..I think thats a great idea..just be careful what is in the ashes....what else do you burn in your fire? colored paper? plastics? god forbid..( but I do)  nails from old boards cut up and used for kindling?

just some thots

gord

#38 2009-10-22 12:20:51

Skeffling Lavender Farm
I Love A.C.E.
Website

We actually built a sifter for getting the bigger cinders out (and we use it over the wheelbarrow for sifting dirt) I guess it would get nails out too, but we just used felled tree wood in our wood furnace.  It's a 1/2" hardware cloth trapped in square of 2 by twos and it fits over those smaller Ikea galvanized metal garbage pails (we alternate 2) and fill one with ash, let it cool outside.  Once it's cool put the framed hardware cloth sieve over, the empty one, dump the ash into the other pail, then take it out to the chickens. We store it out in the barn after it's sifted if we don't use it all at once, then fill the now empty one again til the stuff cools.  We empty our wood furnace ash every couple of weeks so.  It works quite well as the garbage pail are smaller, watertight, fire proof and not too heavy.

www.skefflinglavenderfarm.weebly.com  2012 Breeding quite friendly Lavender & Wheaten Ameraucanas, Lavender Orpingtons, Euskal Oiloas (Basque hens), Partridge Chanteclers, Black Pendesencas & Sumatras

Easy Chickenry and Homesteading articles

#39 2009-10-22 14:07:44

Ipf
I Love A.C.E.

Pest strip kills; it contains dichlorvos, which kills mites for sure. I alternate perst strip with Eprinex, which also kills internal parasites and scaly leg mites (which pert strip doesn't touch).

#40 2009-11-16 01:26:32

Ruthc
A.C.E. Addicted

You have to get Eprinex from the Vet.  Chicken use is off label - it is made for lactating cows.

#41 2010-09-12 13:25:57

klorinth
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Very interesting information from the following Site:
http://msucares.com/poultry/diseases/solutions.html

PESTICIDE SOLUTIONS

Mite and Lice Body Spray Solution

Dissolve into 10 gallons of water:

6.5 fl oz 10% Permethrin EC
    -or-
    11.5 fl oz 5.7% Permethrin EC
    -or-
    2.5 fl oz 25% Permethrin EC
    -or-
    1.5 lb 25% Malathion wettable powder
    -or-
    5.3 oz 57% Malathion EC
    -or-
    .75 lb 50% Carbaryl (Sevin) wettable powder

Spray birds thoroughly to wet the skin and feathers. Pay particular attention to the vent area of the birds. Each gallon of spray will treat 75-100 adult leghorn-type laying hens or 250-300 adult quail. A second treatment can be applied about four weeks after the first application if necessary. The walls, ceiling, and litter of the house can be sprayed with these solutions to kill individual insects not on the birds.

Mites, Lice, and Housefly Residual Spray

Dissolve one of the following in 10 gallons of water.

1 quart 5.7% Permethrin EC
    -or-
    1 pint 10% Permethrin EC
    -or-
    6 oz 25% Permethrin wettable powder
    -or-
    3 lb 25% Malathion wettable powder
    -or-
    10 fl oz 57% Malathion EC

Apply the permethrin spray to all ceilings, walls, roosts, nests, cracks, and crevices at the rate of one gallon for every 750 square feet. One application will be effective for at least three weeks.Malathion sprays are used as residual sprays to ceilings, walls, roosts, litter, and any dark location that is difficult to reach. Malathion sprays are applied at the rate of one gallon for every 500-750 square feet. Malathion is not recommended for fly control, but is usually effective when used in combination with body sprays for mites and lice.

Norrbottenspets, Akbash, Dark Cornish, Cuckoo Marans, Buff Chantecler, White Chantecler, Partridge Chantecler, Ameraucana, Beltsville Small White Turkey, Shetland and Texel Sheep.

"If there is a way to overcome the suffering, then there is no need to worry; if there is no way to overcome the suffering, then there is no use in worrying." Shantideva

#42 2010-12-29 23:40:43

enchantedelegance
Growing Member

can someone tell me how many feet is 30 cubic meters for these pest strips?

I have a insulated shipping container 8x53x9'high    how many of these strips would I need?   

thanks so much

Standard Silver Laced Polish,  White & lavender Silkies, Horses, Pony, 1 Hennie.  AMHA & AMHR Miniature Horses   www.adormeminiaturehorses.com

#43 2010-12-30 00:28:56

Schipperkesue
Administrator

enchantedelegance wrote:

can someone tell me how many feet is 30 cubic meters for these pest strips?

I have a insulated shipping container 8x53x9'high    how many of these strips would I need?   

thanks so much

If you want to find a conversion, here is a neat trick.  Type your request into the Google search box.  For example, you would type:

30 cubic meters in cubic feet

Then press search or enter and Google does the work for you!

Your container will be 8x53x9= 3816 cubic feet.

Sue

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#44 2010-12-30 05:10:43

debbiej
I Love A.C.E.

I've put DE in the bottom of my nest boxes and rubbed it on the perches. But have never had it for a dust bath. I wonder if DE or wood ash will cause eye or lung problems? The chickens love sand and forest dirt , but far too soggy at the moment.

Euskal Oiloa,  Dorkings,  Guinea Fowl , 2 Boston Terriers & 1 Rottweiler

#45 2011-01-29 00:02:44

enchantedelegance
Growing Member

OK, besides the DE and deworming with sheep drench, the no pest strips.  I still have the war on.  My cresteds are so inadated, however I am happy to report my latest round at Mite Warfare is a few drops of the roll on ivermection in their crests, followed with a parting and dusting of DE.  Finally it looks like a bit of success.

Will this ever end?

Standard Silver Laced Polish,  White & lavender Silkies, Horses, Pony, 1 Hennie.  AMHA & AMHR Miniature Horses   www.adormeminiaturehorses.com

Board footer