AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#31 2014-01-18 12:36:20

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Re: The Perfect Barn?

This is a very good thread. Maybe it could be kept for reference, so many great ideas!

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#32 2014-01-19 16:18:37

Brook
A.C.E. Addicted

UrszulaK wrote:

Use horizontal roost with shelf under it to catch all droppings. It is easy to just scoop all poop in the morning. Eggs will be clean and you save on shaving a lot. That is what I have in my coop. Under that poo shelf is room for ducks for winter... That poop shelf and horizontal roost is the best idea I ever had. Happy building. Make extra large space for chickens. Believe me, you will have more that 25 chickens. Just look at chickens breed. You will want more than 25. And then are ducks to weed your garden, geese to guard your property and it goes and goes. What about an Emu or two?
Cheers.

If I could get a picture of your amazing roost poop shelf idea, that would be the cat's pajamas!! As for wanting more than 25 chickens....I'm not too sure about that! lol I have 10 right now and I am thinking doubling that would be plenty. I am tryin to keep things on a "Micro-farm" level....and I have no plans for breeding chickens...they are just for eggs & my fancy.
farzmer

Environmental Technologist, Stay-at-home Mom, & City Chick that recently moved out to the country!
Mixed flock of laying hens & Mixed herd of meat Rabbits
Lovin' Life!

#33 2014-01-19 16:39:09

Brook
A.C.E. Addicted

So...I have been PLANNING....and I've got some CRAZY ideas going on here! wozhoo  purplezfight :rofl: :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Thinking passive solar greenhouse, and a rocket stove thermal mass heater - to heat a brick pony wall (thermal mass) going through the middle of the building.. I could build a wall on top of that to build 2 separate spaces and the pony wall would emit heat to the chicken side and rabbit side, at the same time!

I'll post a sketch as soon as I have one legible enough to show others LOL, until then if you are not sure what I mean, check out the link for a diagram.
http://www.earthineer.com/blog/12138/rocket-mass-heater

Environmental Technologist, Stay-at-home Mom, & City Chick that recently moved out to the country!
Lovin' Life!

#34 2014-01-19 19:13:14

Roots
A.C.E. Addicted

I've looked at the rocket stoves and it looks like the design is critical and requires trial and error for it to burn at its full potential.  I would like to see one in person before making it for myself but there are lots of videos on how to make them.

Looking for Legbar hatching eggs and rooster, and rosecomb brown leghorn hatching eggs and rooster.

#35 2014-01-19 19:18:43

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Shall I make this thread a Sticky?

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#36 2014-01-19 20:27:37

Brook
A.C.E. Addicted

Roots wrote:

I've looked at the rocket stoves and it looks like the design is critical and requires trial and error for it to burn at its full potential.  I would like to see one in person before making it for myself but there are lots of videos on how to make them.

I plan to enlist my father's help on the design... he has an engineering background and has worked in the window/door industry for almost 30 years. He is also a journeyman bricklayer :D
He will rant at me about how crazy I am, then be up for the challenge! LOL

Lovin' Life!

#37 2014-01-19 20:48:31

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Schipperkesue wrote:

Shall I make this thread a Sticky?

I think that would be great!

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#38 2014-01-19 21:00:18

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Done!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#39 2014-01-19 23:18:24

Brook
A.C.E. Addicted

OK, so here is a video from Verge Permaculture (located in Calgary) on their rocket mass heater (and they also have a good video on the passive solar greenhouse)... so, if you can envision the rocket stove in the greenhouse area, but the thermal mass 'bench' part going perpendicular inside the building (instead of parallel as shown in this video) and then building a wall above it to make 2 different rooms (built flush on the chicken side so no roosting) it would heat both sides. Does that make sense?

Last edited by Brook (2014-01-19 23:19:42)

Lovin' Life!

#40 2014-01-20 00:22:15

Roots
A.C.E. Addicted

I like this idea but now you need a wood source.  Popular is fast growing but birch is best to burn.  Elm and maple will work but har hard to split.  I'm not sure what grows best in your area but wind and chinooks may be a problem.

Looking for Legbar hatching eggs and rooster, and rosecomb brown leghorn hatching eggs and rooster.

#41 2014-01-26 07:16:29

BC Buttercup
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Schipperkesue wrote:

I just saw this...and like it!

http://www.mulligansrun.com/ourbarn.php

That is genius ... and might be just the thing for us ... those of us with lack of funding to build a *real* barn.

Rare Sicilian Buttercup chickens and Belgian Hare rabbits. Raising lamb for profit with Border Cheviot sheep.
... and yes, we still have the cows.

#42 2014-01-26 12:23:57

AuntieEvil
Website

Roots wrote:

AuntieEvil wrote:

Brook, we have a passive solar greenhouse. The idea is to pitch the glazing wall, according to your latitude, so the winter sun gets absorbed, while the higher summer sun is reflected. Use your latitude and add about 10 to 15 to find the angle.
We also added bubble wrap curtains between the two glazing layers, so on really hot days, I lower them part way and keep some of the sun out.
You can also add a solar chimney, or place the vents, so the bulk of the sun's heat is released on hot days.
Our greenhouse has R25 walls and ceiling, and R10 under the partial slab. On a negative 15 day with sun, it gets up to 90 inside. If you could store this heat, your chickens would love you. We use an underground and water storage for the greenhouse.
Hope you get yourself a wonderful barn!

Awesome idea.  I assume the floor has to be concrete to absorb the heat?  I have seen dark 45 gallon drums of water for heat storage.

We have a concrete foundation and footing, but it doesn't feel the sun. All the excess energy is absorbed in black pex pipe the water from 7 (should be 14) 45 gallon barrels circulates through, night and day. The hot moist air is also blown into the 3 foot deep beds, operated by a thermostat that comes on when the temperature exceeds 75 degrees F.
If I was doing it for chickens though, I'd try to avoid using water storage, as then you have to be concerned about freezing. Adding antifreeze might be okay, if you used the RV stuff. It isn't recommended for this use though. Chickens give off about 4 watts of heat per pound, so they make pretty good heaters. If you could pump the excess day's heat into the ground, or as suggested onto a concrete or stone structure, that would be good.
The rocket stove would be a great addition...
Remember you'll have to post pictures..... Lots of pictures......

∞♥
∞☮
∞✈

#43 2014-02-09 00:54:45

fun

Whoahoa I am very impressed with this whole thread. It is timely as I am looking at building some such thing. We have also been considering using old shipping containers or retired insulated trailers. We currently have storage sheds built out of each though ventilation would have to be added for this purpose as they are airtight. Paint and trimwork of course will cure the obvious aesthetic issue.
lm

#44 2014-02-09 16:56:42

Brook
A.C.E. Addicted

Well, I have been doing some thinking.... the spot where my new barn will be doesn't get an optimal amount of winter sun. My garden shed shades it until 10am currently, but around winter solstice it doesn't get sun until noon. My questions is, will that be enough light to help heat the barn, or should I abandon the passive solar greenhouse portion of the barn, and just make the barn bigger, and rely more on thermal mass heating?

My garden shed gets perfect wintertime sun, and I could easily build a passive solar greenhouse on that to extend my growing season.

Arg, so many variables! lol

Fun, shipping containers are awesome...need LOTS of ventilation added, my parents have one for storage and they are very stuffy...

Lovin' Life!

Board footer