AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-03-18 20:50:01

Novato
Growing Member

Guard donkey for goats

I am considering getting a guard donkey for our little herd of dairy goats. I've read some conflicting info online about donkeys as guard animals. Was wondering if anyone has good or bad experience with one? How big, age, sex?

#2 2015-03-19 01:46:00

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Guard donkey for goats

Don't have experience with donkeys, but have had a number of llamas that do a spectacular job guarding.
Reality, if there are enough predators, no guard animal will work.

This is Ivan. He used to stand guard over newborn lambs until they were mobile;  he also used to move sheep into the barn once it started to get dark....

http://i656.photobucket.com/albums/uu285/cathyjk/Sheepguardian1.jpg

#3 2015-03-19 02:58:13

yardbirds
Administrator

What a beautiful picture Cathy....contentment abounds.  :thumbsup:

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#4 2015-03-19 14:59:36

chickencrazygirl
A.C.E. Addicted

I started off with a llama and she took the night off when the cougar attacked. That was when we were in Alberta. So I got a donkey that was pregnant and all she did was attack the goats by kicking them.
So I sold the mom and kept the baby that loved the goats.

We then moved to BC just in October 2014 and with in 6 weeks two coyotes attacked one of my goats. I was lucky I saw something going on and ran out..
The donkey ran in as fast as the fastest goat and the llama strolled in after I saw the coyotes off and rounded up everyone.
So much for protection with a llama and donkey................

I think it may depend on the individual animals

Rent my incubator for your home use, comes with 42 Chicken eggs, turner , candling light, development chick book $50 for the mth.  Sherwood Park, Edmonton area Alberta Sliver spangled spitz habons, silver lakenvelders, golden lakenvelders, speckled sussex, buff orpintons, americana crosses. Incubator comes with the Americana cross chicken eggs. Book now
Day old chicks for sale come March 2012

#5 2015-03-19 15:51:30

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Grandfather had donkey and it hated dogs.  he77 on coyotes, wolves, and all dogs.  Killed his old dog.  Didn't care about the livestock generally, just didn't want dog-creatures in the pasture.

Friend had a donkey with sheep.  Did an OK job until it got a donkey friend when it lost all interest in sheep.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys  -White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep, Kerry cows and Canadienne cattle
www.tatlayokofold.com

#6 2015-03-19 16:04:56

lovinfarmlife

We have 2 mammoth jennies for our cows and they were 1 and 4 when we got them, never been with cows before, they guard them so carefully my kids wont get out of the truck in the summer pasture. But in the winter when they are home they are very loving. Totally recommend one. A jack will likely be a poor choice so if you can get a jenny that would be best! Ours came from big ears ranch in Manitoba. Very good to deal with!

Raise a few milk cows, have some horses, and also raise Dobermans. Busy family with 4 kids and a truck repair business with my husband.

#7 2015-03-19 16:49:59

Novato
Growing Member

Thanks for the experiences. We don't have a lot of problems with predators. A coyote steals a few chickens every year. And we see the odd fox in the yard. So far, our goats have never been bothered. We shut them in every night and pasture them in the yard. But we are going to need to expand their pasture this summer and would like the freedom to not have to shut them in every night ... The goats would still go into their shelters on their own but otherwise have no protection at night.

#8 2015-03-19 18:10:29

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Not every llama, nor guardian dog, nor donkey will guard!
I have two Maremmas that didn't get a whole whack of guardian genes :) thankfully the others did

We use our llamas for packing too and not all of them will do that either.

Most of the llamas don't care for dogs. Cougars, in South America, are their only predator.

#9 2015-03-19 18:11:53

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

yardbirds wrote:

What a beautiful picture Cathy....contentment abounds.  :thumbsup:

Thanks. Ivan is a jewel. He panics if his girls aren't all in one place where he can watch them.

#10 2015-03-20 04:11:53

Natasha(fcrlove)
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

I keep checking this post.  I know nothing about donkeys or goats.  I just love the title.

Natasha MacDonald → I'm a backyard chicken keeper.  We've got a Flemish Giant and Holland Lops and twin daughters in 4H.  Flat-Coated Retrievers too!

Board footer