AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-06-10 20:22:32

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Does packing affect the hatch

I'm interested in why shipped eggs are so variable in their hatch rates.  Some batches can have high rates and some low.  I know there are a lot of variables involved but one the shipper can control is how the eggs are packed. 

I would like your feedback on how eggs you either send or receive are packed and then how they hatch.  If you are a shipper how you pack, ie wrapped in tissue, foam or bubble wrap. In a carton or individually etc. and then what type of feedback you get from customers about hatching success.  If you are a buyer how are the eggs you receive are packed and what type of success do you have.

This is purely to share ideas and see what other people do.  Thanks.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#2 2015-06-10 20:57:48

yardbirds
Administrator

Re: Does packing affect the hatch

Well I can say the shipping process is definitely to blame.  I can say this, because I have received hatching eggs from the same person by two different shipping methods.

First shipment was eggs placed in egg cartons with no additional cushioning and travelled by car from west of Edmonton to south eastern Sask and then I picked them up by car and brought them home. There were no broken eggs, cracked eggs or displaced air cells and my hatch rate was 12 out of 14 eggs.

The second shipment was by Expresspost and the eggs were individually wrapped in bubble wrap, placed in cartons that were secured shut, placed in a box with additional bubble wrap and packaging material to prevent movement, and out of 30 eggs, 4 were cracked (2 leaking) and of the 26 I'd candled, pretty much 18 have displaced air cells. I am on day 6 of incubation and 6 appear clear (either non-fertile or scrambled) and another 4 appear to have blood rings.

I won't know the hatch rate on these for another little over 2 weeks.  I will keep everyone posted.

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#3 2015-06-10 21:35:33

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Does packing affect the hatch

I won't buy eggs that have to be shipped any more - have had SUCH bad luck with them.  I feel that the less air they get the worse the results, among many other things (shaken, dropped, old, etc).

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

Board footer