AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-07-03 23:45:15

ChelseaDagger
Growing Member

Valley Quail Eggs

So my two lovely little quail girls, Ginger and Ermintrude, are all grown up now and set about laying around thirty eggs in my sweater back in April.  Then, sadly, Ginger ended up eggbound with her final egg and cost me $160 in vet bills.  >:(  I've got a nice x-ray of her pelvis and some calcium gluconate for next time around now.  I guess she wasn't as interested in eating crushed up eggshells as Ermintrude was.  I was worried about causing them mental anguish by taking away their beloved sweater full of eggs, but alas, after the whole eggboundness incident, they no longer seemed too interested in sitting on them; they'd just hop up on the coffee table, rearrange them once in a while, then go sod off to do quaily things.  At that point though, a lot of the eggs were too old to be viable for hatching.  These have all dried out now though and I can swap them for any future eggs in case they get broody next time around.

So I've got two questions for you folks!  The first can most likely be answered by Perry: when do you suppose they'll be laying more eggs?  Are they back at it right before they are done moulting and before the end of summer, or do they usually wait a little longer?

I was also wondering if anyone with an indoor aviary was interested in acquiring a few eggs from me when the girls do start laying again?

Board footer