AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-07-06 01:49:00

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Stone Man ... in the trailer?

Tonight was the night to go fetch him from the rodeo contractor. Hub hooked up the trailer. Horse Daughter had cash in her hand. She was going to get Stony.  Going to get her boy.

I am making dinner and looking out the window or waiting for the phone to ring.

The plan was that Stone Man would be cut out of the herd, herded into a chute and then into the trailer that was backed up to the chute. HD was not going to enter a pen to try and fetch him. (I had understood that she would go into the horse field with a rope and halter. Contractor said NO!)

The spaghetti sauce was sputtering and bubbling when the phone rang. Cell service is bad out there. All I heard was : I CANNED HIM! before I lost the connection.

What does that mean? Does that mean she has him in the trailer? She got him? She's bringing him home? He's 'in the can'? (the trailer being a big, metal can).

A few minutes later she called back.

She said something along the following lines:    "All the fences around there are very high and very sturdy because the place is populated with very large horses who buck for a living. The stock guy was very low key and quiet in getting Stone Man into the chute. No whips, no yelling, no waving, the stock guy was on foot. Stone Man had to walk down a corridor and into the trailer. The stock man was at least 25 feet behind him, no pressure. Stone Man looked at the open trailer, looked at a tall steel gate to the side and decided to take his chances with the steel gate. The steel gate was at least 6 feet tall, it had a bar welded to the top to make it higher and he went OVER it. For no reason other than he didn't want to get in the trailer. He damaged the gate and himself on the way over."

"Now the stock guy is mad and there is lots of swearing and cussing. He goes into the chute and moves some panels to make it so Stone Man feels less crowded, they get him in the chute a second time and the horse goes over the same gate a second time! And that's when I said that's it, I am NOT taking this horse home. When he reacts to a situation by doing the stupidest thing available, he's toast. I will not deal with that. He's canned."

So.

I feel at a loss for words. I think it's a sound decision to not bring him here and NOT try anything with him. It sounds like his attitude has gotten much worse over the last while.  There's probably a lesson in all this but right now I just feel crushing sadness that yet again, there is no happy ending. I had hoped that something good could happen for both Stone Man and Horse Daughter. Life just doesn't work that way sometimes.

Last edited by uno (2015-07-06 01:50:34)

#2 2015-07-06 02:02:41

Visitor
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Stone Man ... in the trailer?

I would believe that a HUGE life lesson came to HD today , she had made up her mind and in actuality the decision was made for her .Unfortunate maybe , but she saw that there was only one solution and she made that call ..............sorry

#3 2015-07-06 02:10:41

Island Girl

I know you are hurting uno and I know HD is hurting but I breathed a sigh of relief to read this. Again I know nothing of horses but I know a lot about love for other creature's and most certainly for our children.  :hugz: to you while you work through this :hugz:

XOX Monika

Raising quality EOs

#4 2015-07-06 11:39:47

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

:hugz: to you and HD
It sounds like he was so damaged mentally that his reaction is and will always be to have instincts kick in  to get away, kick, anything. I doubt if he has any control over this and it's not his fault, just of those who hurt him in the first place. That makes him a very dangerous horse because you never know when that will happen.
I think you both did a wonderful job to get him as far as you did and I think you made him as "happy" as he could be.
HD made a very wise decision and has had a huge learning experience although I'm sure she's hurting now as are you.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Stephen, my BSW Tom and coffee companion. He left a great genetic legacy.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#5 2015-07-06 13:28:22

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

Uno, you can't fix everything.  You can want it really bad, put a lot of time and heart into it, and sometimes, it's not enough.
The hard, but useful, lesson, is to know when to let go.
At this time, with this set of circumstances, with this amount of financial resources, with this life experience to draw on, there is no more.  Horse sanctuaries are full, people eat horse meat, booted out on range...well, you already know how that goes.:aww:

#6 2015-07-06 13:32:47

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

Uno...:aww:

Taking things a day at a time.

#7 2015-07-06 18:27:51

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

I, too, am relieved to hear this.

Black Ameraucana

#8 2015-07-06 18:52:07

yardbirds
Administrator

:iagree: I think this was a wise decision.

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#9 2015-07-06 19:53:38

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted

I too, must admit that I am glad Stone Man made that decision easier for her...sad for you both, however, and the end for him...whatever that means :(  but this whole situation was getting out of hand.  She did what she could, and no horse or ego is worth getting hurt or killed for.  I believe he NEVER would have been predictable, as any horse can at any time, no matter how 'bomb' proof can have a 'moment' out of nowhere.  (my neighbor had a QH mare, great horse, put anyone on her even her young just learning kids, out of nowhere, every once in a while, on a calm, loos rein walk...BAM a good buck, only 2 or 3 bucks, not crow hops, but 4 feet off the ground.  No warning, no twitch of the tail, no head shake, no ear pinning, just buck...then back to a walk like nothing happened.)  Not all can be saved, and really, unless you have unlimited dollars to feed a lawn ornament....doesn't make it easier, though.  :aww:

This is best for HD's safety, and Mr Stoney.  Lesson learned, horsemanship bettered from it too.  Move on to the next prospect.

Last edited by mountainharvest (2015-07-06 19:55:02)

Small flock of mixed heritage chickens for glorious eggs, bee keepers, team of Percherons & of course cats and dogs, pedigreed Champagne d'Argent rabbits.  Wife, cheesemaker, baker, organic gardener, & pooper-scooper extrordinaire, and mama to two beautiful, energetic babes and number 3 'in the oven' and due in June!!

#10 2015-07-07 03:03:11

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Uno, I am not sure I understand, was it your daughter who made the decision to "can" Stone man? If so difficult as the situation is right now , it's a milestone and I do believe the right decision. Stone man is a wildling who will not be domesticated and would clearly rather die than have to do what he doesn't want. Sad but really I breathed a sigh of relief for you and your daughter..... he won't be taking her over the fence now.

#11 2015-07-07 05:08:39

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

RObbie, the rodeo stock man was going to ship Stone Man because he stopped bucking. But he had promised to call Horse Daughter before he made any decisions about the horse. So he called her, told her the horse had quit bucking and that he planned to ship him. However she could buy him back if she wanted. So she went to buy him back, thinking she would pick up where she left off.

Wildling. A term I am turning over to see how I feel about it. Yes. I think in this situation it might be exactly what the case is. Stone Man would rather be wild, or so it seemed.

So, Horse Daughter did not make the intial decision to ship the horse. But when there was no loading him in a trailer, when she witnessed her year of working with him go right out the window, she threw in the towel and said, forget it. She left him with the rodeo contractor. Left him where someone else had decided to 'can' him.

I asked her if she'd rather bring him home and have our vet put him down. She said, why, so he can kill the vet? She feels her vet has value to her alive and there would be no getting close enough to that horse to get a needle in him.

I feel sick over the whole thing. Heartbroken. So does HD. She made the right decision. The right decision isn't supposed to feel so horrible.

Last edited by uno (2015-07-07 05:10:23)

#12 2015-07-07 13:01:10

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Uno  I understand now, thanks.  YOur daughter must have seen something in StoneMan that perhaps if you'd seen it too, would have made it easier for you. Yes,  unfortunately it's an unhappy ending. But in the long run the only sane choice I think.

#13 2015-07-07 16:46:43

susanr

uno, sending you & HD :hugz:  Sometimes making the right decision DOES indeed hurt our hearts.  HD gave Stony the best chance she could but, he chose to take the "wild" way out of the options she gave him.

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

Board footer