AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-07-24 03:21:37

Chickeroo
I Love A.C.E.

What the heck rooster???

Well this was a new one for me.

Today I was working outside when I heard my rooster making some very intense noises, more like growling than anything. They were quite loud and animated sounds, so I walked over behind the coop to see what was going on. I noticed he was hunkered down among some tall grass and thistles, still making these bizarre aggressive sounds. Some other birds were dust-bathing near him, and it seemed he was addressing his noises at them. He didn't stand up while I watched, so I walked over to him to see if he was hurt and as I got within a couple of feet he stood up - and what was underneath him? - an egg! Yep, he had been literally sitting on an egg, and growling!

I have no delusions that he lay this egg, as he is DEFINITELY a rooster, but he was acting almost like he was guarding it from the other birds. After I approached he walked off, sounding the alarm. SO STRANGE!

#2 2015-07-24 03:56:38

ThinkingChicken
I Love A.C.E.

Re: What the heck rooster???

lol sounds like he wants to be a daddy :dance"

4 AustralorpS ,2 WelsummerS ,2 Light Sussex and 2 Jersey Giants 2 Brahma crosses

#3 2015-07-24 04:21:45

Island Girl

Our Island birds are so special :P 

XOX Monika

Raising quality EOs

#4 2015-07-24 04:27:03

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

Yup, some roos will do that.

Taking things a day at a time.

#5 2015-07-24 12:39:40

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Roosters are certainly odd ducks (where did that expression come from anyways, smiling).  I find that there are many times when I put a new nest box into one of the coops, the rooster goes in and checks it out and sits in there, sometimes for a while.  And whilst he is moseying around in there he makes the sound, just like what you describe, of a kind of growling sound.  I think they just sometimes need to encourage the ladies to check things out.  In your case, maybe he is showing them that this is the place to lay an egg.  They are funny things for surely.  Have a wonderful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#6 2015-07-24 15:04:16

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

I thought this was normal. Mine do it a lot, especially one seabright. He loves to nest! And, make noises from growls to shreaks and squeeks. Completely hilararious! His favorite thing in the world is to be put in a cat crate with a straw nest. THAT is the best nest ever, judging from the noises and lying down nesting he does. Funny guy!

Board footer