AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#31 2015-10-28 01:58:43

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Re: Buckeyes: Compare 1905- present

Now the HOT Topic of COLOUR! But, first what does the SOP state!

1905: MALE-  Plummage
General surface, dark, rich, velvety red, garnet or dark cardinal in shade, never buff or bricky; head, neck, hackle, back, saddle and wing-bows, richly glossed with a metallic luster; under-color, a lighter shade of red, except on the feathers of the back, where a bar of slate should appear next to surface color, balance of the web to be red; color of quill to conform to web of feather. Other things being equal, the specimen showing the richest, most even surface color shall be given preference. The unex- posed flight feathers and main tail feathers may contain black; sickle and coverts should be shaded red and black, thus avoiding a sharp contrast between body and tail.
A harmonious blending of red in all sections is desirable.

1910:Plumage – General surface, mahogany bay slightly accentuated on
wing-bows, under-color, salmon, or slate and salmon. The unexposed flight feathers and main tail feathers may contain black; sickle and coverts should be shaded bay and black, thus avoiding a sharp contrast between body and tail. Shaft of feathers, bay entire length.

2010:General surface colour an even shade of rich mahogany bay in all sections, with the exception the unexposed primaries and secondaries and the main tail feathers may contain black, thus avoiding a sharp contrast between the body and tail.
UNDER COLOUR OF ALL SECTION:  Red, except for back which should show a bar of slate.

FEMALE:
1905:Plumage – General surface, dark, rich, velvety red, garnet or dark
cardinal in shade, never buff or bricky. Under-color, a lighter shade, except on the feathers of the back, where a bar of slate should appear next to surface color. balance of the web to be red; color of quill to conform to web of feath- er. Other things being equal, the specimen showing the most even, dark red surface color shall be given preference. The unexposed flight feathers and main tail feathers may contain black. A harmonious blending of red in all sections is desirable.

1910: Plumage – General surface, mahogany bay. dark, rich, velvety red,
garnet or dark cardinal in shade, never buff or bricky. The unexposed flight feathers and main tail feathers may contain black; under-color, salmon, or slate and salmon.

2010:General surface colour an even shade of rich mahogany bay in all sections, with the exception the unexposed primaries and secondaries and the main tail feathers may contain black, thus avoiding a sharp contrast between the body and tail.
UNDER COLOUR OF ALL SECTION:  Red, except for back which should show a bar of slate.

This is where you can follow the SOP as in print for the most recent year OR continue the Nettie Metcalf Vision of 1905.

Last edited by la-chicken (2015-10-28 12:41:42)

Home to: Buckeyes: I am very passionate and devoted in breeding Buckeyes. I am a breeder that is always improving the breed.  I want to breed a buckeye that Nettie Metcalf would be proud of.
               Looking forward to getting the Canadian Buckeye Club up and running under the umbrella of American Buckeye Club.

#32 2015-10-28 09:10:40

yardbirds
Administrator

:thumbsup:  What an awesome tutorial.  Thanks la-chicken.  ;rooroo"

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#33 2015-10-28 11:14:54

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

La-chicken, thanks!  These tutorials are really helping. Thanks for having a look at my rooster.  He certainly isn't the quality of your cockerel. That's a good tip about the width of the pelvic bones to select roosters too, as I'm primarily interested in egg production.
I'm sorry to be dense, but exactly how does the SOP of today differ from Nettie Metcalf's vision of the breed? Is it just the colour? Was her vision for the same dark shade as today's Rhode Island reds? They are the only ones that look black from a distance, at least as I see it.

I have a question about the white wing tips in my rooster- does the entire feather have to be white for a disqualification, with some white tips just being points off? Have you seen white at all, in any of your flock? I'm mystified where this could have come from.

#34 2015-10-28 12:56:04

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

Robbie: So glad you are enjoying this.  I am finding that since I started do this as well.  I have been looking at my stock with a much more critical eye. 2 more went to the harvest pen since yesterday.  And this is just the roosters.

White feathers?  White feathers are the ONLY disqualification with respect to color defect in the Buckeye standard. Having some black in the fluff is simply a point deduction when showing. Ideally, you want little of no black in the fluff. Nettie Metcalf (breed creator) mentioned she did not mind a "little" black in the fluff for her breeders but it is undesireable in the show ring! (taken from another Buckeye site).

I had two with white.  One had a single small white feather on its head.  the other had white in the wing Primaries on several feathers.  Straight to the harvest pen.  I also sent a couple that had too much black in the Primary wing feathers but, he was too small as well. ( your white, maybe linked to the single comb...this is just a guess)

Robbie:  I am going to sum this up with barring and a summary of what the differences have been since 1905-2010

Home to: Buckeyes: I am very passionate and devoted in breeding Buckeyes. I am a breeder that is always improving the breed.  I want to breed a buckeye that Nettie Metcalf would be proud of.
               Looking forward to getting the Canadian Buckeye Club up and running under the umbrella of American Buckeye Club.

#35 2015-10-28 13:27:18

BobG
A.C.E. Addicted

Robbie , White feathers can also be a sign of damage during growth period while young. Feathers on the body that are white in some cases can be pulled  and will grow back in the proper color. Having said that  the ones growing out in the wings usually are not a good sign ,I cull this when it happens in my RIR

#36 2015-10-28 15:46:35

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Thanks La-Chicken and BobG. There are definitely white wing  feather tips and single combs  in that one line of Buckeyes. Of the four I have, one has too much black (patterning in the cushion and black hackles), one hen has a single comb, and two (the rooster and one hen)have white feather tips. They do have a few positive points- the depth and evenness of colour for the hens, good size and width, and fabulously yellow legs. It's tricky when you have so few to decide from! *(0)*

Last edited by Robbie (2015-10-28 15:47:38)

#37 2015-10-28 16:12:36

Butterboy
A.C.E. Addicted

Don't be tempted to keep too many, if you only have two good birds only keep two. Leaving yourself with just one cockerel may be a little risky, but just because there are a few 'backups' around does not mean that they should be red from if your first choices are still around. You will likely make quicker gains breeding from a single pair or trio of your best, than a larger group mating with more variable quality.

Also, remember compensatory matings. If you have a bird with a poor comb but superior size, mate to one with a better comb but smaller size.

Last edited by Butterboy (2015-10-28 16:14:05)

I just want to FARM!

#38 2015-10-28 17:10:26

BobG
A.C.E. Addicted

Butterboy, your post is great advice :iagree:

#39 2015-10-28 17:47:47

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

Thanks Butterboy I agree with BobG  great advice. I think I do have a pair that might be OK.  Just waiting for more maturity before I choose- they really do change a lot week by week.

Last edited by Robbie (2015-10-28 17:48:23)

#40 2015-10-28 17:58:14

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

This is another perfect example as why it is so important to network.
Know your breed and the SOP.

#41 2015-10-30 01:16:25

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

The SOP states barring on back.  But why not the whole bird?  This is what gives the Buckeye that wonderful full  rich mahogany colour.

There must be a slate or dark slate bar!  At the most very least on the back.  This is a characteristic of a Buckeye.  Here is some pictures of barring from my birds.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_2569.jpg poorer quality of barring.

http://i1236.photobucket.com/albums/ff451/la-chicken/IMG_2576.jpg better quality

Last edited by la-chicken (2015-10-30 01:20:01)

#42 2015-10-30 11:58:46

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

One thing I noticed about my Buckeyes, the feathers on the back and other places  have a fringe- I don't see this on my other chickens. I think that's what gives them that extra shine. I wonder if RIR's have the fringe too? I know that RIR's are supposed to have red feathers all the way including the down. I have a hen that I suspect isn't a Buckeye, I'm going to look for that slate bar on her back. Are there some Buckeyes that don't have the slate bar?

#43 2015-10-30 14:33:36

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

What do you mean by fringe?

#44 2015-10-30 16:26:26

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

If you pick off a shiny feather from  one of my  rooster's backs, or shoulders, or you can see that the very edge of the feather isn't knitted together.  Some of the hen feathers are like that too. I'll try to get a photo later today.

#45 2015-10-30 18:25:47

la-chicken
SOP Breeder
Website

That's the undercoat. And this is what should have the barring.

Board footer