AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2015-11-23 20:29:41

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Pig Feed Recipe

I asked one of the PhD's at the Praire Swine Centre to help me out with a recipe.

Based on what I have, this is what he came back with, thought it might be useful for others:

For your gestating/dry sows you can feed something along the lines of 70% barley, 5% alfalfa, 10% oats, 10% peas, and 5% of your premix (based on recommended inclusion).

For your lactating sows, you could simply feed your grower diet as is, or dilute a bit to say 80% grower and 20% barley.

We get grower from Phil Maloff but am happy to use his formula with a few changes (I will post Phil's list of ingredients).
I also found a farmer out of Lethbridge area who sells organic peas/lentils (they are awesome) so would prefer to use that than soya meal. I think the field peas and lentils have other micronutrients than soya meal but would have to do a comparison.

The consultant did say that this isn't OPTIMAL and I didn't ask why, because I don't have access to much other ingredients.

The organic premix we have is from Wetaskiwin Co-operative Association, 4707 – 40th Avenue, Wetaskiwin. Alberta

Country Junction
Swine Macro Premix OIS
Product No. OS60000

This feed contains added selenium at 6 mg/kg.

Guaranteed Analysis

Calcium (Actual)             15.0%        Iron (Actual)                 2,300 mg/kg
Phosphorus (Actual)        4.5%        Manganese(Actual)     2,000 mg/kg
Potassium (Actual)          0.4%        Zinc (Actual)                4,000 mg/kg
Magnesium (Actual)         2.5%        Vitamin A (Min)      260,000 IU/kg
Sodium (Actual)               2.0%        Vitamin D3(Min)       30,000 IU/kg
Copper (Actual)         500 mg/kg        Vitamin E (Min)           1500 IU/kg

List of Ingredients:
Calcium carbonate, Di-calcium phosphate, Organic Flaxmeal, Organic kelp meal, Organic Wheat, Biolys, Salt, Magnesium oxide, choline chloride, DL-methionine, Organic yeast culture, Organic Vegetable Oil, Zinpro, Superzyme W,  Manpro, Cuplex, zinc oxide, tribasic copper chloride, manganese oxide, cobalt carbonate, Seleno-Source (selenium source), sodium selenite, E.D.D.I., Vitamin A, Vitamin D3, Vitamin E, Riboflavin (B2), Pantothenic acid (B5), Niacin (B3), Thiamine mononitrate (B1), Folic acid (B9), Biotin (B7), Vitamin B12, Pyridoxine hydrochloride (B6), Vitamin K, Cobalt Glucoheptonate.

#2 2016-01-05 03:47:11

PureCountry
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Re: Pig Feed Recipe

We used to do a third of each in wheat, peas and barley as it was basically all we had available from neighbors. Now that we're in southern BC grains are so hard to find and so expensive we haven't bothered getting hogs again. Maybe when we're at a point where we can grow our own grains we will.

100% Grass Finished Beef, Free Range Pork, Black, Red & Dun Galloway breeding stock, and Large Black Hogs. Australorps, Buckeyes.

No Farmers, No Food, No Health
Know Farmers, Know Food, Know Health

Board footer