AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Deworming chickens - What product to use?

#46 2016-02-15 16:46:23

GalaBoys
Banned

Re: Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Fowler, if you try it, would you be willing to do FEC before and after treatment? I would love to see if it actually works!

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#47 2016-02-15 17:04:48

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

GalaBoys wrote:

Fowler, if you try it, would you be willing to do FEC before and after treatment? I would love to see if it actually works!

Asking me to be organized?  Whoa, tall order.

Black Ameraucana

#48 2016-02-15 17:29:30

Fowler
I Love A.C.E.

http://www.nzforagesystems.co.nz/upload … r_2012.pdf

In  the  Lincoln trial, ewes  grazing  plantain  produced faecal egg  counts  through lactation which  were one  third  to  one  quarter of those grazing ryegrass. The  mechanism  for  this  effect  with  plantain  is not clear. In a Farmer Initiated Technology & Transfer project in Southland where  there  was no difference in  growth  rates  for  ewes  and  lambs  grazing  plantain  enhanced  pasture. 
Faecal  egg  counts  showed  a tendency, after a lengthy period of exposure, to be lower where plantain was a part of the diet. Dagginess levels were also generally less in lambs grazing plantain (Turner,  2002)

As a point of interest, here is a blog where a guy did his own little trial of various dewormers on his goats.

http://www.mitchellplainfarm.com/blog/t … ruminants/

Black Ameraucana

#49 2016-02-15 17:36:02

GalaBoys
Banned

Fowler wrote:

Come on, it would be fun!! I am testing oregano oil on my chicks this year. :)

If it works, we'll all be planting plantain!

#50 2016-02-16 22:18:51

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

In all my years of poultry I have never seen worms from my chickens even used to do the centrifuge n boiled sugar solution looking for  the things I used to have a print out of. But I might just for fun give them plantain leaves now lol. Make sure every year they dewormed lol. thanks for that

Farm closed down, no animals left but I still love farm life and will miss it!

#51 2016-02-16 22:38:57

niglefritz

GalaBoys wrote:

Fowler wrote:

Come on, it would be fun!! I am testing oregano oil on my chicks this year. :)

If it works, we'll all be planting plantain!

No need to plant it. It grows naturally pretty much anywhere.  :thumbsup:

You just have to find it and identify it correctly.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans
WTB: silkies, sp. sussex ; Runners: Black, fawn & white hens; Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#52 2016-02-16 23:09:53

GalaBoys
Banned

crestedbird wrote:

In all my years of poultry I have never seen worms from my chickens even used to do the centrifuge n boiled sugar solution looking for  the things I used to have a print out of. But I might just for fun give them plantain leaves now lol. Make sure every year they dewormed lol. thanks for that

That's good! You should never be able to "see" the worms. If you see worms in their poop, you already have a big problem. If you have a microscope, you can look for the worms eggs in the poop, which is what they count when you take a sample in to the vet. :)

The first trio of chickens I ever got had the WORST case of worms I have ever seen. A huge pile of roundworms in one of their droppings the morning after I got them. Ewwwwww! I dewormed them ASAP and returned them to health and they started laying not long after. Poor things.

#53 2016-02-16 23:26:22

GalaBoys
Banned

@niglefritz I looked it up and I do have some of that! I will have to try to remember it in the spring when I start weeding!

#54 2016-02-17 00:44:31

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

GalaBoys wrote:

crestedbird wrote:

That's good! You should never be able to "see" the worms. If you see worms in their poop, you already have a big problem. If you have a microscope, you can look for the worms eggs in the poop, which is what they count when you take a sample in to the vet. :)

The first trio of chickens I ever got had the WORST case of worms I have ever seen. A huge pile of roundworms in one of their droppings the morning after I got them. Ewwwwww! I dewormed them ASAP and returned them to health and they started laying not long after. Poor things.

that's what I was looking for not the worms the worm eggs and yes I had a chart of those, little things, I got tired of gathering coop poop , it was boring lol never a discovery lolol
I should really count myself lucky. I got to stop saying how lucky I been because that's when I will get hit with lice n worms.. uhm my chickens.. not me lol

Farm closed down, no animals left but I still love farm life and will miss it!

• Index
  •  » Hospital
  •  » Deworming chickens - What product to use?

Board footer