AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2008-09-08 15:03:48

marshasmall
A.C.E. Addicted

Dusting chickens

I was told that I should "dust" my chickens at least 2 times a year for feather mites.  First question - what should I be looking for for feather mites?  Should I dust for preventive measures?:confused:

#2 2008-09-08 17:56:21

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Dusting chickens

Hi, Marsha, probably a good idea to dust. How many birds do you have?
I have around 150 so dusting them individually isn't really on my list of to-do's!!
I use DE, diatamacious earth, in there dusting spots and also sprinkle in some dusting powder that you can get at the feed store for chickens.
Also some people, and I will soon be one of them, use Ivomac Bovine pour on, a dab behind the head of each bird is supposed to get rid of mites, lice, worms. Hope to do this twice a year and I am going to get some from my son, it is only sold in huge containers.
That is all I can tell you, we have so many knowledgable people on here, hope someone comes forwards to help out if I missed anything, or lets us in on there trade secrets!!

#3 2008-09-08 20:26:38

Chickee's Mom
I Love A.C.E.

The lady that sold me the Jersey Giants said they just keep on eating the eggs as usual. I haven't used it yet, and I am like you, wonder what the time period would be. Anyone out there know??
She has been doing this for along time. Actually she would put it in the water. Empty all waterers at night and put in morning. Not sure how much etc, but sounded like a better idea to put it on each bird.

#4 2008-09-08 22:49:48

marshasmall
A.C.E. Addicted

I only have 10 chickens and 6 ducks right now so dusting wouldn't be much of a issus for me, I was told about the Ivomec as well but all the containers sold have WAY more then I can use.  A girlfriend used it last spring and was told to wait 2 weeks before eating eggs again, I know with sheep you have to wait 6 weeks before butchering and I think its the same for cattle.

#5 2008-09-09 02:24:34

chrissysask
A.C.E. Addicted

I don't worry about a withdrawl time for ourselves.  Use it on the goats and we keep using the milk as always.  They actually use the Ivomec injectable(used orraly) on people in third world countries, so it can't hurt us.

raising Arabian horses, meat goats, commercial sheep, guinea fowl, peafowl, merriam turkeys, pilgrim geese, rough collies, assorted exotic chickens

Board footer