AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2016-03-16 02:07:02

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Are there any spinners here?

I am learning to spin.  It is so relaxing!  Sometimes on my way home I feel my palms itch and I can't wait to get back to it.

I begun with my Shetland sheep but now I am spinning anything I can get my hands on.  I bought some Corriedale roving and my, it is soooo soft!

Are there any other spinners?

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#2 2016-03-16 04:37:59

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Re: Are there any spinners here?

Perhaps we need a picture....this is the first serious skein I spun.  I also washed, picked, carded, dyed and plyed the wool back on to itself.  I made a warm neck roll.  Didn't need it this winter, though!

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j346/Schipperkesue/41335625784c5d2e832cc673fa111afe.jpg

#3 2016-03-16 05:05:57

Naaka
Growing Member
Website

Wow, I love how you dyed that wool.  It's beautiful.  I am only a "casual" knitter but I appreciate the work that goes into crafting beautiful yarn.  It is a skill that I have in the back of my mind to learn some day.

#4 2016-03-16 07:33:40

blackdove
A.C.E. Addicted

Wow, that is so cool!!  I don't have the first idea about how this is done...admiration all around.  :thumbsup:

#5 2016-03-16 10:00:04

missiekaren
I Love A.C.E.

I am a spinner but unfortunately don't have a lot of time to do it.  I have spun mohair mainly from my angora goats but have used alpaca as well.   I don't have any pics of the finished hanks.  I haven't spun in awhile, but it is definitely on my list of things to do this year!

GLW,  mutt ducks, and two muscovies bourbon red turkey, royal palm hen pearl guinea fowl,  a couple white bunnies, angora rabbits, Cochins, four peafowl , 3 dogs, a cat, two boys and a tired husband;)

#6 2016-03-16 10:12:41

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

I would love to learn to spin.  I drive my Mom out to an Alpaca farm where the lady transforms the fibers into beautiful yarns.  This lady teaches spinning classes as well.   She sells the most wonderful yarns that make beautiful items. 

I am so impressed with anyone that can take a simple fiber and make it into articles that we can wear.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#7 2016-03-16 12:00:57

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Ooh, Missiekaren, mohair is slipperytrickyhard!

#8 2016-03-16 12:56:39

missiekaren
I Love A.C.E.

Mohair isn't easy to work with and it stretches and loses its shape on its own.  Not recommended as a beginner wool.  Alpaca on the other hand is lovely to work with!

GLW,  mutt ducks, and two muscovies bourbon red turkey, royal palm hen pearl guinea fowl,  a couple white bunnies, angora rabbits, Cochins, four peafowl , 3 dogs, a cat, two boys and a tired husband;)

#9 2016-03-16 13:50:38

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I have a secret stash of pure white alpaca!

#10 2016-03-16 14:24:36

missiekaren
I Love A.C.E.

Ohhhh some of it can be dyed and then spin it together with white, giving it a tweed look! :)

#11 2016-03-16 14:33:03

GalaBoys
Banned

I recently learned to spin on a drop spindle. After the insanity of this month is over, I will pick it back up and start spinning again!

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#12 2016-03-16 14:41:36

missiekaren
I Love A.C.E.

I learned how to use the drop spindle first. It is fun to do as well.  I found it more complicated than the wheel.  I am not very coordinated I guess.

#13 2016-03-16 15:01:38

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Drop spindle is a great way to start, learn to draft and do so cheaply.

I bought a spinning wheel.  It is so much faster...but less control.

#14 2016-03-16 16:57:06

100milegal
A.C.E. Addicted

I remember from a dog grooming forum one of the groomers took the blown coat from long haired dogs and spun it into yarn.  Cut hair doesn't work, it looked nice but I always wondered if whatever it was made into would smell like wet dog when rained on. :veryfunny:
By the way I'm actually seeing some pictures today. :confused:

My online clothing store.  www.bbandbubbles.com

#15 2016-03-16 18:34:15

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

100milegal wrote:

I remember from a dog grooming forum one of the groomers took the blown coat from long haired dogs and spun it into yarn.  Cut hair doesn't work, it looked nice but I always wondered if whatever it was made into would smell like wet dog when rained on. :veryfunny:
By the way I'm actually seeing some pictures today. :confused:

My first wool was dog fur, I didn't have a spinner I had converted hand made wood gizmo on end of my sewing machine that spun .. I only had one ply wool( stop laughing lol)  :veryfunny: but I  managed to make half my vest before giving up. brushing him. lol not giving me his hair when I wanted to knit wasn't very nice of him lol. it was easier to spin in natural unwashed state then after spinning making my balls of wool I would wash in sunlight dish detergent, then dyed it then dried and balled it up to use..
once washed in the sunlight dish detergent  getting it wet again it did not smell like dogs at all just nice wool.
I was looking for a picture of me and my half knit dog vest but can't find it right now.
  I had obtained wool from a friend and had more trouble spinning that then I did my dog's fur. lol

Farm closed down, no animals left but I still love farm life and will miss it!

Board footer