AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2015-12-23 16:22:16

Copiouskeep
Growing Member

Re: Staring a hobby farm in BC

Wow that would be wonderful not to have to worry about any of those predators!

#17 2015-12-23 18:26:52

Living Savary
Growing Member

Hi CynthiaM. Thanks for your note. Your birds sounds very lovely. I wish that your place is closer. Buff Orp and Blue Cochin are my favorite and I absolutely must have them. ;)

I will keep in touch as my plan comes next spring.

#18 2015-12-23 19:16:52

Rosewood Farm
I Love A.C.E.

We have Blue Cochins as well, but are about the same distance away as CynthiaM.  Ours include genetics from Cynthia's flock, Mazur and a Vancouver Island flock.  We might make transportation easier for you as we now have a daughter and son-in-law at Comox.

Rosewood Farm,
Breeder Berkshire Pigs.
Black and Blue Cochins, Blue Laced Red Wyandottes.
Beltsville Turkeys.

#19 2015-12-25 12:07:00

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Think seriously about hatching your own, between Rosewood and I, smiling that big smile, we both could help you out in the cochin area (and buff orpington area too), as far as hatching eggs go and maybe some birds too.  Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#20 2015-12-26 17:15:49

Living Savary
Growing Member

Thanks Rosewood and CynthiaM. I might take up on your offers next spring.

The coop will be built in early April. Then I can start looking for a starting stock. Hatching fertile eggs is probably not for me this 2016. I don't plan to have an incubator. However, I will get a bunch of Cochin, Buff Orp and Silkie hens. So I can hatch eggs in 2017.

If I were to get some birds from you, it would have to be a grown birds. I don't think the young chicks will survive the long travel distance.

#21 2015-12-27 12:45:43

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Living Savary wrote:

Thanks Rosewood and CynthiaM. I might take up on your offers next spring.
If I were to get some birds from you, it would have to be a grown birds. I don't think the young chicks will survive the long travel distance.

Ah, don't get too stuck on that thought.  In all actuality, I think that chicks travel better than adults, just my opinion.  But getting adults is always a good way to go, but adults birds will be much more expensive than younger ones, there is no doubt about that.  But always, we must consider these heritage breeds an investment.  They can live very long lives.  I have two geriatric blue cochin hens, they are my pride and joy.  These two gals are coming into their 8th year of life in January.  My first two, which I had chosen from 16 young blue cochins I had raised.  I had kept one of the males too, he is long gone, as he has had replacements over the years, but the gals live on. And still lay eggs.  Not as they did when they were young ladies, but still, they lay.  I know about the one especially.  She lays an egg as dark brown as the middle grade colour of a Marans breed.  Beautiful. So yes, years and years and years of worthiness with the heritage breed hens for sure.  Not to say they all live that old, the potential is there.  And yes, cochins are the queens of desiring to hatch chicks.  I find my buff orpingtons, some of them, are that way too, not all the gals, but some are much more motherly than others.  Anyways, you have tons of time to figure out methods to get birds to yourself, the breeds may increase in what you want to, who knows.  But it will be a journey of love and fun.  Have a beautiful day, CynthiaM.

Two breeding groups of large fowl -- blue, splash and black cochins and buff orpingtons.     Located one half hour north of Vernon.  Also a keeper of the honeybees.

#22 2015-12-27 12:52:26

CynthiaM
I Love A.C.E.

Living Savary wrote:

Savary is a bit difficult to get to/ out. Closest town is Powell River. I could go to Comox/Courtney but that is still a whole day trip.
Thanks in advance for your help.

Just for fun and information.  For years we lived on the Sunshine Coast, in Gibsons.  We moved from there in 1981.  The farthest north I have been on that coastal line was Lund, no further travel by car could be done, smiling that big smile.  Seems to me, (never been to Powell River), but there is the ferry one has to take I think if not mistaken.  Probably easier if you could find someone on the Sunshine Coast that might be ever going to Vancouver and then could pick up birds there for you or something.  There are ways and means to get birds to people.  Lots of people travel, there are facebook pages and forums that are always talking about people travelling and willing to take, pick up, what have you, livestock.  Also, there is planes that fly places too that people use, and couriers...so many, many options to get your the birds that you would love to have join you on your farm.  I hope you have a wonderful time searching and finding.  Have an awesome day, CynthiaM.

#23 2016-03-29 15:18:46

Sunfirelady2002
Growing Member

I raise Silver Appleyards! I'm up near Smithers. Can ship hatching eggs!

Buff Orpington chickens, Silver Appleyard ducks, 4 alpacas, 3 horses, 2 cows, 2 dogs, 2 cats, and 1 awesome husband

Board footer