AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2016-03-31 02:36:29

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Eating Callum

Sorry Callum, I know you have a handle here on ACE but I am not talking about you.  I am talking about your namesake.

A few years back I bought my first three Shetland ewes from Callum.  He was great!  Full of information and even delivered!

So in honor of him, two years later I named a ram lamb, Callum.  He was a handsome grey boy but sadly his horns grew too close and last year I decided I could not use him.  He was a year and a half, so technically mutton but Darkwing Duck assured me that he would not taste too strongly. 

Today was our first meal and Callum was delicious!  Even at 1 1/2 years he was milder in taste than all the lamb I have ever bought in a store.  I marinated four chops and grilled them.  Amazing!

Callum, you were delicious!

Marinating...

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j346/Schipperkesue/bf2410256e496b8b39c0176e38c983dd.jpg

On the plate!

http://i1081.photobucket.com/albums/j346/Schipperkesue/f052c842fb3e2935f6dc48cc1a741ca5.jpg

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#2 2016-03-31 02:44:29

yardbirds
Administrator

Re: Eating Callum

:shock:  :letseat:  I love lamb!

Soldier of Tolerance

[ If you consider yourself a "gift" to all you share your life with....I promise you will always give your best.... ]

#3 2016-03-31 02:47:24

susanr

Looks delicious!  We like lamb very much - mmmmmm

Friend to 1 house cat, 2 long-haired mini dachshunds, several outside cats, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#4 2016-03-31 04:07:37

Chickeroo
I Love A.C.E.

Technically it would be hogget, not mutton, no? We put a ram in the freezer last month as well - I wasn't thrilled about it, but the meat is certainly amazing! I love ground lamb for burgers as opposed to beef, such great flavour!

#5 2016-03-31 04:24:48

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Hogget eh?  When is the cutoff date for hogget?

I have been told that in Alberta it is lamb if it is under a year or under 100 lb.  I don't think the 100 lbs should apply to Shetlands!

#6 2016-03-31 04:45:53

Butterboy
A.C.E. Addicted

I am so glad that I was tasty! LOL

On the topic of hogget, it is vary loose, but it is normally, survived its first winter but eaten before the second.

I am so so happy that the shetlands have worked out for you! I will always remember the three ewe lambs I brought up to you as they were out of my three favourite ewes!

I just want to FARM!

#7 2016-03-31 13:03:05

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Callum, you have outed yourself!  Those first ewes are still lovely and going strong.  One is my favorite.  Am I allowed favourites?  She stood yesterday and moaned softly as I dug my fingers into her wool and scratched her bulging sides.

#8 2016-03-31 17:32:24

Butterboy
A.C.E. Addicted

Most certainly have favourites! Am I allowed to guess which one is your fave? Because if it is the solid brown ewe then that sort of temperament runs in the family. Her mother used to follow me around and rub her head on me unless she got a scratch. Think less sheep and more overly friendly goat.

I just want to FARM!

#9 2016-03-31 22:10:44

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Shetlands are just lovely.  I'm waiting for mine to lamb and I am sure they are impatient too.  I swear they are all - all 30 of them- going to lamb within minutes of one another.  It's such a hot day today they are hiding in the darkest part of the barn, panting.

I'd better get out and check.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#10 2016-03-31 23:08:48

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I beat Heda by lambing first...but she will beat me in numbers!

Callum, you are wrong!  The brown is the most standoffish.  The Katmoget with the brown markings is the sweetest.  She lays by my feet as I sit and admire them.

Board footer