AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2016-05-03 22:25:32

100milegal
A.C.E. Addicted

ear hematomathat o

I just noticed that one of the 8 week old pigs I got on Saturday has just developed a ear hematoma.  I called the vet and was going to get it lanced but after doing some reading have found out that they do clear up on there own in about three weeks.  Also if they are lanced they can develop an infection at the site of the incision.  I was wondering if any one has had this happen and did you treat in or let in heal on it's own?  The little guy in still eating and acting normal, but I would think it would be somewhat painful.

My online clothing store.  www.bbandbubbles.com

#2 2016-05-04 04:42:11

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: ear hematomathat o

If it is a hematoma, it is just a build up of fluid between the layers of the skin from a trauma.  If lanced, it will be thin liquid, bloodish coloured and probably will refill, and like you say, could introduce bacteria leading to infection....we had several pigs develop them due to running out of a stall door to get breakfast in the morning...and trying to all fit at the same time :duh:  Also can be brought on by a nip from another while eating.  They don't need to be lanced, will probably go away on their own, no treatment necessary. Some of our little pigs had thick ears after that, it just hardened, never seemed bothered by them.
If it is an abscess, though...it will have to be lanced.  It will be thick, white or greenish and very smelly, very disgusting!  Along with lancing an abscess, a shot of antibiotic wouldn't hurt either.  Make sure to clean where it drained, you don't want any other pigs to potentially get sick with coming into contact with all that bacteria.  And, keep your mouth closed  :sick:  its under pressure...

Small flock of mixed heritage chickens for glorious eggs, bee keepers, team of Percherons & of course cats and dogs, pedigreed Champagne d'Argent rabbits.  Wife, cheesemaker, baker, organic gardener, & pooper-scooper extrordinaire, and mama to two beautiful, energetic babes and number 3 'in the oven' and due in June!!

#3 2016-05-04 19:18:21

100milegal
A.C.E. Addicted

I just noticed the spelling in the title of my post.  How the heck did that happen?  I'm sure I didn't type it that way.  Anyway I'm sure it's a hematoma, these two don't seem to be the best of friends and have had couple of little fights.  I hope that changes, last years pigs got along so well together.  I'll leave it be, he doesn't act like he's in any pain.

My online clothing store.  www.bbandbubbles.com

#4 2016-05-04 22:00:34

mountainharvest
A.C.E. Addicted

You can take a sample with a needle and syringe, if you are not sure, but he'll need to be confined pretty good, as you know they are good wigglers!  Just check for wounds on the affected area, if he was bitten, and it did more than bruise, it could be an abscess, and that will need to be treated

Small flock of mixed heritage chickens for glorious eggs, bee keepers, team of Percherons & of course cats and dogs, pedigreed Champagne d'Argent rabbits.  Wife, cheesemaker, baker, organic gardener, & pooper-scooper extrordinaire, and mama to two beautiful, energetic babes and number 3 'in the oven' and due in June!!

Board footer