AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Coops
  •  » Long live the no-pest strip!

#61 2016-09-04 16:32:54

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Long live the no-pest strip!

Thanks for the warnings! Yes, I know it's Dichlorvos and it's toxicity. I am not happy about using it but, even though I have being trying to break the various mite life cycles here using less toxic means, the chickens are still afflicted. I think part of the problem is the ongoing rat issue, with rats being possible vectors, transferring mites between groups of chickens (either that or I'm spreading them everywhere on my clothing, or both). My coops are in old buildings and now with red mites I do not see a way to clean every surface to get rid of them. For example, I was cleaning and a cracked piece of wood fell off the framing. It was covered with hundreds of red mites as was the remaining side of the cracked wood. It is impossible to get permethrin into every crack and crevice in this building. So, it really is a last ditch effort to deal with the issue. This started with Northern Fowl Mites last February. I got those under control finally. Honestly, I am fed up. Now, with red mites and this is the time of year that the wild birds start scavenging feed in the pens, I predict more mites!

We started building a couple of new coops and pens 2 months ago and ended up doing a barn renovation to fix the ongoing rat problem which think is causing the mite issue to persist. So, we've torn out a ceiling above the feed room and one chicken coop and are cleaning out an area that was a huge "rat incubator" in the ceiling. When we are finished, hopefully more normal and less drastic measures will be needed to keep pesky critters from overwhelming us and the chickens.

I won't be using these strips long term, just need to get the current problem under some control. And, yes I will dispose of the strips properly when they expire.

#62 2016-09-04 20:17:57

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

If it's possible, can you remove the chickens, seal the area termite fumigation style  (e.g. cover with tarps and duct tape the seams? and pack it with extra no pest strips to fumigate?) If you doubled up the dose for the given volume  and left them there in the  sealed room for a couple of weeks (It would help if it were hot outside too,) that might solve both problems.   griznsnguznz Just a thought.

Last edited by Robbie (2016-09-04 20:19:39)

#63 2016-09-04 20:29:00

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

Oh, I wish I could do that! However, due to my chicken-greed, my pens are full just now so sadly, no where to move them.That is a good idea and, maybe a good reason to keep one pen empty in future. Of course, hubby would take it over for his birds! I'm thinking 2 weeks for the no pest strip and  a good pressure wash inside. Hopefully, that will do the trick and not be too toxic for the birds.I see how stressed they are from the mites!

#64 2016-09-04 22:04:30

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I find that you can do a pretty good job by kicking the chickens out for the day and cleaning out all the bedding, then spraying the place down with Permethrin, Ambush specifically then letting it dry before putting down new bedding then letting the chickens back in.  Then the chickens get a good dusting with dusting powder.  After about a week I kick them out again and spray the walls, ceiling etc down again, I leave the bedding this time.  That seems to get rid of them.  However I'm probably dealing with Northern Fowl Mites.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#65 2016-09-05 00:29:13

Sunfeathers
A.C.E. Addicted

I haven't dealt with red mites before, just northern fowl mites. I've read they are hard to get rid of, but I don't really know. When I first saw them I sprayed any I could see with pine sol cleaner in a hand sprayer, killed them right away. The barn they are in has so many cracks crevices, I'm not sure a spray will get them all? I'm hitting them with the pressure washer tomorrow. The numbers I found initially were pretty horrific. I was busy inpecting the chickens themselves and saw no sigh of anything. I found something mite-like on the light bulb, then swiped a hand through this grey stuff behind a perch and there were hundreds! :hide: And, many happy spiders having a banquet. I'm not a fan of these critterz, I've changed almost everything I do because of the two kinds of foul fowl mites. Clothing off when I come in the house as they like our house pets and, hubby and one cat is allergic to the bites. Additionally, I brought in ringworm for the cat and then a type of mange mite afflicted another. Never had issuses like this before, not even fleas. Don't know why but thinking the warm weather and ongoing rat problem are part of it. Hopefully fixing the barn up will help and, my rat terrier is always hard at work :D

#66 2016-09-05 01:16:15

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Will Frontline work on the red mite.  I know it does a fine job on the Northern Fowl Mite.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#67 2016-09-05 01:24:21

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I don't think Frontline works on red mites because they live off the host just moving on to feed.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#68 2016-09-05 05:06:53

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

It's a balancing act. No Pest strips are hard on chickens. But when other measures fail, when you've done everything you reasonably can to get the mites under control and they are STILL winning the war, then I think it's time to call in the big guns and to do so without feeling overly guilty about what you're exposing your chickens to.

I have a No Pest strip in my hen house 24/7, 365 days a year. None of my hens seem to be suffering advanced retardation, respiratory illness or anything else. I also bed with pure cedar chips, another big taboo, from the moment my chicks hatch they're on cedar and ... pfft, they're fine.  Warnings should be heeded so you know what you're doing as you load your bazooka for waging war on mites. But when the pea shooter isn't working, time to pull out the AK47 of pest control and ZAP them crawlers!

Is there some risk associated? Yes. But the potential benefits (no bugs) in my mind makes the risk worth taking. You could go for the low risk method of standing in your hen house and squishing each mite with a teeny, tiny hammer. No one will be harmed, and no one will be helped either.

Do not feel guilty if you blast the place with No Pest strips. Feel guilty if you choose to pat your stomach and rub your head in the age old Celtic manner of banishing mites. While YOU might feel good doing no harm, your birds feel miserable and wish you'd quit patting your stomach and rubbing your head and DO something! griznsnguznz

#69 2016-09-05 12:10:07

Robbie
I Love A.C.E.

:goodpost:

#70 2016-09-05 15:20:34

Thor
A.C.E. Addicted

I use nopest strips, sevin the birds, sprinkle lime and wood ash in the cracks and crevices, nest boxes. this year has been a really bad year for mites.
I am lucky I don't have the Northern fowl Mite.

Last edited by Thor (2016-09-05 15:25:20)

#71 2016-09-05 15:27:04

GalaBoys
I Love A.C.E.

I have had a few go-rounds with Northern Fowl Mite. That's an easy one to get rid of, treat bird systemically with ivermectin and use dusting powder for immediate relief. Done.

Red mite is a whole other barrel of monkeys ....

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
Vermilion Fair APA Poultry Show: July 28, 2018 - visit www.vermilionag.ca to enter
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

• Index
  •  » Coops
  •  » Long live the no-pest strip!

Board footer