AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2016-11-12 17:32:44

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Where do ALL of our broiler chicks actually come from?

I believe in North America, all breeding stock sold to parent stock farms,  then eggs to places like Millers/Rochesters/Bergs etc come from one of three giant parent stock farms/facilities:

- Aviagen (with the Ross, Arbor Acres, Indian River and Peterson brands)
- Cobb-Vantress (with the Cobb, Avian, Sasso and Hybro brands)
- Groupe Grimaud (with the Hubbard and Grimaud Frere brands)

At least I think that's how it works.

The investment in R&D contributes to only three big places focused on a few brands (and sometimes within that "brand" there are 2 or 3 varieties).

It would be interesting to know what brand/variety we get as hobby farmers from places like Millers/Rochester's (it's all the same place, owned and managed by the same family) as opposed to what the broiler farms have access to. For example, at Aviagen, the ROSS brand has three varieties Ross308, Ross708 and RossPM3. Each variety I expect meets slightly different requirements.

I wonder if the hatchery would tell us.

#2 2016-11-13 19:46:40

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Where do ALL of our broiler chicks actually come from?

I would like to know as well because I think the strain makes a difference.  I asked Rochester once and they wouldn't tell me.  The person who I talked gave some vague answer that they get them from a number of suppliers etc.  As far as I know the only mail order source in Alberta is Rochester/Miller.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#3 2016-11-14 06:23:18

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I believe what I used to get at Okanagan Hatchery were Cobb 500, eggs trucked in from Arkansas. They told me they send two drivers, so one can sleep while the other drives. There is no stopping once those eggs are loaded in the climate controlled truck and headed to Armstrong.

I Googled the Cobb site and the 500 are a yellow legged bird with smaller combs while the 700 have a pinker leg with more comb development (in the roosters anyway). Our meatbirds always had yellow legs and smallish combs despite gender.

I used to buy from Rochester, arrived in mail or on bus, had losses as chicks and several along the way as well as crippling but overall fairly uniform finish weights. . I do not believe these were Cobb.

The birds I get from Armstrong do not travel by bus, a 20 minute ride to my house. No chick deaths, very little crippling and very few die offs along the way HOWEVER there is a greater variety in finished size. Some 4 pounds, some 10. I would way rather have a variety of sizes and sturdier birds that don't cripple or flip. I have been happy with the chicks from Okanagan Hatchery. (the hatchery in Armstrong)

#4 2016-11-14 06:37:28

Tegaan
A.C.E. Addicted

:iagree:

same deal. I used to get mine from Rochester, prefer Okanagan hatchery. They are very accommodating with my no vaccine request as well.

#5 2016-11-14 20:12:56

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Most people don't have access to a local hatchery unfortunately.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#6 2016-11-15 00:25:29

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

True Shane, I feel VERY lucky to have one just down the road. I live in fear of it closing down.

Board footer