AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2016-12-19 01:11:56

PureCountry
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Meat Bird Alternatives

Hi folks, hope everyone is doing well. Has anyone done larger groups of meat bird alternatives like Mistral Gris or Western Rustics that they could share some real good data on comparing them to Cornish Giants? I mean groups of 50 or more? Anyone?

100% Grass Finished Beef, Free Range Pork, Black, Red & Dun Galloway breeding stock, and Large Black Hogs. Australorps, Buckeyes.

No Farmers, No Food, No Health
Know Farmers, Know Food, Know Health

#2 2016-12-19 04:32:36

farmerrick

Re: Meat Bird Alternatives

Cuckoo Malines are our bird of choice for superior table fare!

Aylesburies, Bielefelders, Cuckoo Malines, Katahdin/Dorper Sheep, Alpacas,Horses, Donkey, Dogs,Cats-1Great Wife
Mickle's Hill Farm
West Kootenays
British Columbia

#3 2016-12-19 05:12:29

Hillbillyreefer

Western rustics didn't work out all the well for me this year.  The birds were extremely variable in finish weight, from 2lbs to 8lbs at about 14 weeks(I don't recall exactly how long they were here.). The best part is they were a variety of colors and weren't ratty looking birds like the Cornish Giants.  Depending on what is available for meat birds in the spring I may give them another try.

Saltwater reef tanks not pot!

#4 2016-12-19 17:02:10

Trevor Taylor
A.C.E. Addicted

Maline's for meat. Hens lay not bad but I find they lay eggs at random times and even at night.

Cheers Trevor

#5 2016-12-20 00:50:40

PureCountry
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

Okay Hillbillyreefer but how many Western Rustics did you raise?

Farmerrick and Trevor, do you have any numbers to share? How many Malines have you raised and what are you comparing them to? What are you feeding them? Free range, in mobile tractors or indoors or...??

100% Grass Finished Beef, Free Range Pork, Black, Red & Dun Galloway breeding stock, and Large Black Hogs. Australorps, Buckeyes.

No Farmers, No Food, No Health
Know Farmers, Know Food, Know Health

#6 2016-12-20 02:38:22

Hillbillyreefer

40 +2 bonus birds. Free range,

Saltwater reef tanks not pot!

#7 2016-12-22 04:44:27

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

We did 26 Western Rustics this year.  Somewhere there is a post with weights etc,  they were raised free range in a large pen with an open front shelter and were hardy but really variable in size.  I think the last few were 16 weeks and a little less than 5 lbs.  I won't bother again.  I've tried Western Rustics and Mistral Gris but always go back to Cornish Cross boilers which I'll do again next year.  Although I have a pair of Cuckoo Malines and the rooster is as big as a broiler.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

Board footer