AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-01-14 22:49:57

crestedbird
A.C.E. Addicted

intelectual mice

new intelligence in mice

In the years since been on this farm, mice populations were low, the barn cats could only find shrews to toss around.

I could always tell when had mice, in barn. because it was so obvious. I could smell that corn chip smell they seem to omit with urine.

This year with all the rain The mice population is finally up for those poor cats with nothing to do.

Well my barn doesn't allow cats, but at the back of the barn is a covered barn area where we store our hay. I knew it would have mice, a place to hide and do what ever mice do best.. Math! , and our cats did and do, go back there.

I been having serious mouse trapping troubles here for last month and a half.

One area of barn I know mice get in,,, Is set with three traps... a continuous live trapping "walk in ~never check out", mouse trap. A small live mouse trap. And the ever popular "slap snap victor trap."

I had seen the bait from the victor snap trap, being repeatedly ate, but not triggered. I stuffed that trigger very well every time( including peanut butter often), thinking that would fix that.

It appears the mice had learned to lick the contents off that trigger and not set off trap. It also appears they could pull crumbles out of the trigger and laugh at me.

I started covering the trigger with a piece of paper, ramped to a little pile of chicken crumbles. With in days I caught lol.. 5 mice. hooray!. Then no more. Oh nice !! I must have them all caught! I reset the victor slap snap.

A week later I see the paper is off the trap and the chicken crumbles are gone, oh more mice!! goodie..  lol

I reset that paper ramp over trigger repeatedly and same results, paper moved off trap any crumbles in trigger or under have been ate.

Keep in mind I still have the other two traps set all in that area. That obviously are not even being looked at.

A couple days ago I set my trap with ramped paper, with more precision at the mouse entrance.

This morning, of all days I found a scene that made me cringe.

One thing I neglected to mention was.. over the slap snap victor trap, I have stucco wire v'd ...a tent, so If any chickens should escape and wander the main barn, they won't get hooked on that trap. Also a regular string that attaches to the victor trap and tied, so if mouse  gets caught the trap doesn't flip to far away. I can still access it.

This mornings scene.... The victor trap had literally been pushed away from entrance( ten inches or more),and the paper pushed away, the string on the trap chewed right off, and the stucco wire protective tent.. flipped right over.

My mind could not believe a mouse did this.. All I could think this morning, was, weasel, or least weasel. but why was the string chewed off and... missing?. Maybe it had mouse blood on it?

I had important company arriving  this morning, so I would have to rethink this scenario later and maybe set up my weasel trap.

After my company left, I went back to the barn and thought things over again. resetting trap with paper ramped over trigger, I start thinking these mice are seriously getting more intelligent., just for the heck of it... I picked up the flat plastic hotel check in never check out trap. it was dusty so I could not see anything in it. I gave it a little shake, hmm something in here. I took the trap out to daylight, to investigate if I could see anything through the Smokey grey clear plastic.. nothing could be seen..... gave it another little shake... ahh well it is not moving so I don't think I need fear a least weasel jumping out and attacking me.  I slid it open, there inside a  dead mouse with a nice bundle of string with it.

mystery solved!

I have had those wind up traps way back, where mice literally jammed the door mechanism and had the nerve to raise a family in there.

We do have super mice intelligence going on.

Farm life has sure always been quite the life, the daily bewilderments, surprises, and one way conversations with critters that neither agree or disagree with me lol. I've never taken country life for granted.

Farm closed down, no animals left but I still love farm life and will miss it!

#2 2017-01-15 01:59:12

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Re: intelectual mice

Crestedbird........  I never realized it until too late, that I too took living on our little farms for granted.  Now I have to live those

memories in my mind and through pictures.  But still have to say, I "hate"  living in town!   I loved my critters much better, that

townie people that don't want anything like that around them!   Makes me :crying:  too.    This is not for me.

Board footer