AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-01-06 21:30:10

RenzLand
Growing Member

Hays Converter Cattle

We just bought 5 cows and a bull, the plans are to raise pure HC and to cross them on our angus cows,

This was the first Canadian breed of beef cattle developed, very rare yet very functional.

2 Black and white Muscovies, 10 Partridge Chantecler, Hays Converter and Maine Anjou Cattle

#2 2017-01-07 03:08:56

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: Hays Converter Cattle

Now we do need photos!  What are their attributes?

Beltsville Small White Turkeys  -White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep, Kerry cows and Canadienne cattle
www.tatlayokofold.com

#3 2017-01-07 17:04:23

niglefritz

Where did you get yours? A neighbor of ours has  (or has had) some south of Kenton.

FOCUS: blue JG FUN: RIR, copper marans, silkies, guinea, muscovy, IR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Guinea: pearl hens, Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#4 2017-01-10 01:20:15

PureCountry
A.C.E. Addicted
Website

I'd definitely like to hear where you got them, and how do you know they're true Hays Converters? I haven't seen any in 20 years. Used to be a few breeders where I grew up in Alberta. They were hardy cows with fertility, milk and plenty of growth in the offspring.

100% Grass Finished Beef, Free Range Pork, Black, Red & Dun Galloway breeding stock, and Large Black Hogs. Australorps, Buckeyes.

No Farmers, No Food, No Health
Know Farmers, Know Food, Know Health

#5 2017-01-11 18:07:38

shaneb99
A.C.E. Addicted

For those who don't know the Hays Converter cattle were developed by the late Senator Harry Hays former mayor of Calgary and an MP and Agriculture Minister in the short lived Pearson minority parliament.  The federal Harry Hays building in downtown Calgary as well as the community of Haysborough are named for him.  I can remember the Hays Converter were a big deal when I was a youngster but seemed to fade away without Senator Hays to promote them.   He was also heavily involved with all aspects of agriculture in Alberta including poultry.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff & Blue Brahmas, Black, Blue & Silver Laced Cochins, Black Copper, Blue Copper,  Blue & Wheaten Marans, Silkies & an ever changing flock of Call & Silver Appleyard Ducks, Geese, Muscovies, Turkeys, Guineas and Peafowl.  2 Akbash Maremma guardians keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#6 2017-01-12 02:45:37

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Canadian Livestock Records lists a few breeders with pedigree animals.

www.tatlayokofold.com

#7 2017-01-13 13:29:22

confused
A.C.E. Addicted

The Hays family used to have a dairy on the southern outskirts of Calgary. After they sold the dairy, they bought a ranch south of Longview where he worked at developing the Hays Converter. I know there was Holstein blood in them but I'm not sure what beef breeds he used in the development. Like most old time ranchers, a lot of the neighbors were a little suspicious of something new. Having grown up in the area during that time, I really find it interesting that now they are listed as a rare breed. Sort of like the Lacombe pigs. Probably a developers biggest detractors will always be the closest neighbors?

#8 2017-01-13 17:17:21

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Interesting history:  http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/haysconverter

Hereford, Holstein and Brown Swiss.

www.tatlayokofold.com

#9 2017-01-26 22:24:32

RenzLand
Growing Member

Hey I got mine from Philip Thordarson in MB, he is working on polled animals as right now most are horned. I think the best thing about them is their ability to look after themselves. we have a 15 year old HCw that has a bit of angus in her and still has a perfect udder and raises a great calf. I'm not sure how to add a photo on here otherwise I'd attach my bulls photo

2 Black and white Muscovies, 10 Partridge Chantecler, Hays Converter and Maine Anjou Cattle

Board footer