AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Rabbits
  •  » Does anyone have meat rabbit colonies?

#1 2017-02-23 12:47:22

Journey's End

Does anyone have meat rabbit colonies?

I'm getting into meat rabbits this year. Likely Californians, but maybe New Zelands or crosses with Flemish. I'm not too sure. Growing up, hubby always had the does seperate, but I just got a steal on some old 4x8 fox cages. I'm wondering how much luck people have had with keeping does together, including with babies. It'll likely be a mother and however many daughters I keep living together.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#2 2017-02-23 12:54:25

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Re: Does anyone have meat rabbit colonies?

I will raise my kits in colonies after I wean them.  I use a lightweight chicken tractor and move them twice a day on the lush lawn.

I keep my valuable breeders safe, and above ground in very strong wire cages.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#3 2017-02-23 15:27:28

Journey's End

I figure if these cages can keep foxes in, they can keep them out too. the plan is to have them around the garden so they can keep the grass down in that area.

#4 2017-02-23 23:21:03

lady leghorn
I Love A.C.E.

Sue, is the wire the right type for rabbits, that is on the fox cage bottoms?   I don't think it is, but not quite sure.   Wouldn't want Journey's End's rabbits getting sore feet.

#5 2017-02-24 02:00:15

Schipperkesue
Administrator

I have fox cages too.  They are smaller though.  The floor is a heavy gauge wire, 1x1 inch.  They are raised by a 2x4 frame.  Young rabbits' feet slip through which is not good, but if the wire was flush to the ground they would be ok. 

Another thing to think of is ground rabbits are prone to parasites, whereas raised rabbits less so.

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#6 2017-02-24 02:05:07

Journey's End

The wire on the bottom is the same as rabbit wire. But it will be on the ground so there will be cushioning from the ground, as well there will be plywood on part of it so they can get off the wiire if wanted.

#7 2017-02-24 05:02:47

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

My bucks and does breeders are in separate cages but I always keep my weanlings together, however depending on how long you plan to keep them you should separate the bucks and does by about 7 or 8 weeks.  I've never had a problem with same sexes together in a group.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

• Index
  •  » Rabbits
  •  » Does anyone have meat rabbit colonies?

Board footer