AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-03-09 15:43:18

niglefritz

Buff orpington x silkie

So...I still have an orp rooster here (the s_x change chicken). He is in the partridge silkie pen. I have been toying with crossing these two to see if I could just use him to make some larger broodies. Of course, I would probably just get all cockerels that would only be good for the soup pot...

Would I be able to tell who his offspring were by size, or color of comb/wattles/earlobe/skin, or some or all of these things...or would some masquerade as pure silkies? What else would I look for? I also have a white silkie rooster in the pen who has partridge in his genes.

Here are the chickens in this story:

http://i1301.photobucket.com/albums/ag119/iamabusymomma/20170224_1224390_zpsbdjxvwao.jpg

FOCUS: blue JG FUN: RIR, copper marans, silkies, guinea, muscovy, IR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Guinea: pearl hens, Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#2 2017-03-10 15:27:07

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Buff orpington x silkie

Do any of your silkies have light coloured legs?  They usually don't, so you could use that to see if the Orp is the daddy.  If he gives Inhibitor Dermal to the hen chicks, they will have pink, yellow or white legs.  The cockerel chicks are more iffy.  If they get Fm, the silkie black skin, and one hit of ID, they will have dark legs and light body skin, but will have a grey third eyelid so you will know it is the FM that is allowing the dark legs in the presence of ID.  Since there will not be 2 hits of ID in this cross if the silkies all have dark legs, none will have light coloured legs and a grey third eyelid.

#3 2017-03-10 15:44:01

niglefritz

I will have to read this over a few times. My brain is a bit slow today.

Thanks!

WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Guinea: pearl hens, Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

#4 2017-03-10 23:18:23

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

I think what you are asking is if you hatch some Silkie eggs will you be able to tell if the Orpington is the father of some.  I don't think they will look like Silkies. The hookless feathers that make a Silkie look silkie are recessive so both parents would have to have the gene.  What you would end up with is smooth feathered chickens carrying one half of the silkie gene so if you mate them 1/4 will be silkie 1/4 will be not carry the gene at all and 1/2 will carry one side of the gene like the parents.  So to get large Silkies you would select the largest F1 Offspring and mate them then select the biggest Silkie looking and mate them.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#5 2017-03-11 00:52:42

niglefritz

shaneb99 wrote:

I think what you are asking is if you hatch some Silkie eggs will you be able to tell if the Orpington is the father of some.

Yes!  Thank you.

I am not really after larger silkies (then I would just search for large ones), but we have this rooster anyway and both breeds are supposed to be good broodies & mothers, so I figured maybe we would experiment this year.

Now...if I got lemon orp hens for him, would that be almost sacrilegious to breed them? :hide: What would happen in that case I did that? Would I just get a diluted buff?

#6 2017-03-11 20:02:13

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

From the little I know about Orpingtons Lemon is the same as Buff with a couple of changes.  It's a little complex but here goes.  The Buff has Columbian genes the Lemon doesn't.  The Lemon has Barring genes which the Buff doesn't.  The bottom line is those 2 changes mute down and spread out the Buff (gold).  It makes the Lemon pale yellow instead of golden. 

If you cross your Buff rooster to a Lemon hen you would end up with males that were half way between and basically light Barred Buff.  Because the hens only inherit barring from their father they would be basically Buff, but incomplete lacking half of the Columbian.  Probably poor looking Buff Orpington hens.

BTW almost everything needs at least 2 generations to clean up.  Whenever you cross 2 different colours the first generation is just messed up.  From there you have to select the proper pieces and put them together.  The problem is on some of these genes is you can't see them until the 3rd or 4th generation.  They need bar coding.

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#7 2017-03-11 23:51:04

niglefritz

Interesting. I'm just playing around with possibilities. I am not in the market for lemons anytime soon...just thinking.

Board footer