AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2017-04-06 03:16:27

Schipperkesue
Administrator

Re: Broken coffin bone

Phew, glad to hear there is hope!

Embrace your mistakes....they are life's most meaningful education.

#17 2017-04-06 04:05:50

toybarons
I Love A.C.E.

.thumbsup.

Wishes for all the best for all!

Taking things a day at a time.

#18 2017-04-06 05:33:47

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

It's slim hope, but it's hope. Coffin bone breaks are classified from bad to really, really bad. This break falls in the middle. Some horses do recover. Some return to their former competitive life. I give the three local vets a ton of credit, they are in competition with each other, but had the grace to set that aside to help guide Horse Daughter in her decision.

Susan, I was sad when Stone Man left. This loving horses to have them yanked out of my life is killing me. But this horse ... it's almost 17 hands, an ENORMOUS warmblood that thinks it's a lap dog. Doesn't just want to stand near you but ON you. Is happiest when she has her nose in your face. Baby brain. Fingers crossed. She's a big, sweet, dummy.

#19 2017-04-06 11:25:07

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Strange enough that yesterday, there was a TV show on about something very similar.  Yukon Vet, Dr. Michelle Oakley was assisting in a surgery to remove a broken piece off a coffin bone in a rather large horse, Zorro.  Surgery was a success and they feel that after he has healed, he will have a complete recovery.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#20 2017-04-08 16:02:17

Hillbilly Curt
A.C.E. Addicted

uno wrote:

Horse Daughter got copies of the x-rays yesterday and is having 2 more vets look at them. Also her farrier has asked to see the x-rays.

Jiggs, we do have bute but HD thinks Banamine will be the better choice as it's supposed to be easier on the stomach and with this horse being in confinement and NOT happy about it, stomach ulcers will be an increased issue.

This whole thing is so awful!

I agree on the Banamine. A much better alternative in this scenario. This horse will more than likely develop ulcers because if it's personality anyway, so something easier on the stomach is wise.

#21 2017-04-10 15:24:12

DaronwyK
Website

About three years ago we were faced with a similar situation. (Not an expensive warmblood but a young horse that did NOT like to be in a stall) Our mare badly broke a bone in her knee and needed to be on stall rest for 6-8 months. This was a field kept horse who had never been on stall rest and she was extremely agitated. We were given a long acting tranquilizer to help take the edge off to help her adjust to life on stall rest. The first week was hard, but after that she really settled in and rode through the process with surprising patience. Slow feed hay nets will keep food in front of her all the time and help avoid ulcers. 

We were also told the mare would never be sound for riding even if it did heal well. She came completely sound, though we made the choice to restrict her to flat work just to be safe. I wish your daughter luck and I'm glad the vets & farriers are optimistic.

~~~~~~@~~~~~~
Standard Polish, Salmon Faverolles & Swedish Ducks

#22 2017-04-11 05:20:48

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

THe horse is now in her stall with crush underfoot, thick rubber mats, and fresh shavings.

She is NOT a happy camper!

We do have a hay net and will use it as it seems to occupy her mind more than just having her face buried in the loose hay.

Today when Horse Daughter opened the stall door to go in to shovel poo, all he77 broke loose. Horse made a break for it, knocked over HD, knocked over the wheelbarrow and made a mad run through the pen.

Once HD peeled herself off the ground she and horse came to an 'understanding'. Horse was back in stall and did not move a muscle until shovelling was complete. But I have been given strict orders to NOT enter the stall while large, anxious, grumpy horse is in there. I'm fine with that.

#23 2017-04-11 16:41:37

susanr

Oh dear!  Glad to hear HD is alright - being barreled over by an animal larger than you is not a happy experience.  Ahhh - the "understanding" meetings - I am very familiar with those.  Glad horse got the connection.

I would be fine with staying out of there too!  Being in a confined space with an unhappy, large animal would not be my happy place either.

Friend to 3 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#24 2017-04-11 22:00:19

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Watch this space...Uno will have that horse named and tamed in a week.

Come on Uno, what's the horse going to be called?  What colour is it and where are you going to sleep when it takes over your bed?

Beltsville Small White Turkeys  -White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep, Kerry cows and Canadienne cattle
www.tatlayokofold.com

#25 2017-04-12 04:22:45

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Ba ha, Heda. Very funny.

Actually, she is a very well bred, papered, registered blah blah blah warmblood. Her name is Lilleshall. I call her Harvey. Harvey the Hungry Horse. Horse Daughter has FORBIDDEN me to call her this in public. But I do. Cause I'm bad that way.

#26 2017-04-12 04:57:42

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I thought as much.  Harvey.  Perhaps after the imaginary large white rabbit?

Beltsville Small White Turkeys  -White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep, Kerry cows and Canadienne cattle
www.tatlayokofold.com

Board footer