AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.
  • Index
  •  » Cattle
  •  » Is anyone interested in a Jersey/Highland cross cow?

#1 2017-04-11 18:04:22

hyperion
Growing Member
Website

Is anyone interested in a Jersey/Highland cross cow?

Hi, is anyone in the market for a milk cow?  I would love to buy a particular steer calf, but he is for sale with his mom.  I don't have the budget for both, but if someone wanted to cooperate on the purchase, they would get a lovely JerseyXHighland brindle cow out of the deal.

Farming junkie, horse trainer, wife and  mother to two bouncing boys.
Proud owner of Canadian horses, Lipizzans, a Dexter-Jersey cross, Marans, Ameraucanas, a Finkie and an opinionated Amazon.  Starting to train oxen.
Visit our website: www.levaahoclassicalhorsemanship.com

#2 2017-04-12 01:25:15

CathyJK
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Is anyone interested in a Jersey/Highland cross cow?

What do you know about the cow - has she been hand milked, ever had mastitis, how old??

Where is the cow located?

#3 2017-04-14 04:40:13

Blaithin
Website

Re: Is anyone interested in a Jersey/Highland cross cow?

She's my cow Cathy. Located in central Alberta.

She's 5 years old, 2 months fresh from her second calf. Was apparently hand milked by her previous owner during her first lactation. I have hand milked her but not completely out, not sure I'd try a machine on her but hand milking doesn't seem to bother her. She's a cow that will need work to get into a routine before she is truly cooperative. She's got the Highland stubborness. Not sure if she would ever be a cow you could milk without share milking with her calf. She's a hold up queen. Definitely a cow for an experienced person.

No history of mastitis or any metabolic issues. Easy keeper on grass. She's currently got two calves on her and is producing plenty of milk. Started cycling today so just over two months for that - and might even be bred now if the bull continued to be a dweeb hah. Nice and quiet, loves being brushed, dislikes head gates (haven't tried a halter), quite small, maybe 1000 lbs.

I truly think she would settle in to being a great little homestead cow. The reason we're selling her is I have no real interest in a cow I have to commit to so much. I want nurse cows that accept foster calves that do the milking for me, not requiring my attention numerous times a day. She has no use for foster calves but her history and general personality make me think, with that routine, she'd be a nice milker.

• Index
  •  » Cattle
  •  » Is anyone interested in a Jersey/Highland cross cow?

Board footer