AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-04-07 00:51:53

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Cornish crosses vs heritage breeds

I know we have this discussion all the time but I processed a rooster yesterday for dog food. He was about 10 months, a Brahma and nothing wrong except his colour was off. He was big looking, in good shape with lots of fat. Because it was dog food I skinned him and cut off the wings because they are too much trouble. He only dressed at a little over 3.5 lbs. Even allowing for skin and wings he wouldn't have been much over 4 lbs if I had plucked him like I do with Broilers. Maybe if I had confined him and fed him a higher calorie diet like I do Broilers he would have been fatter but I don't think any more flesh. Considering you can grow a Cornish Cross Broiler to 10 - 12 lbs in 13 or 14 weeks there is no comparison.

Blue Buff and Silver Laced Brahmas plus too much other stuff to list.

#2 2017-04-07 01:32:03

Journey's End

Re: Cornish crosses vs heritage breeds

Yes, but with the high mortality rate of the crosses, the cost to raise them is no longer worth it for me. The lines seem to be getting weaker. I'll be raising extra mixed breed cockerels for meat simply because I don't have the patience to deal with 35% losses. I'll be giving them high calorie diets and while not confined like factory farming, they will be kept in a smaller pen. We'll see how they do.

Homesteading, homeschooling, hillbilly mama of three.

#3 2017-04-07 04:23:38

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

shaneb99, I agree with you.

Journey's End has had some bad luck (as have some others) with high mortality and that does change the outcome of cost per pound. OR..just before you butcher a bear comes and eats everyone. This is a big bite out of the food budget, pun intended.

However, if all goes as planned and you can get a freezer full of meat in 8 -12 weeks, as opposed to 8 - 12 months, there is no question which is the bigger bang for your buck.

If you raise heritage / dual purpose birds as a stand against Frankenbirds, if you raise a certain poultry to preserve it as a rare breed, those are fine and reasonable reasons to not go with commercial broilers. But I've butchered an dressed out a few spare roosters and other purebreds and ...no. Just no. At least for my meat producing goals dual / heritage are not where I want to spend my time. But for others it's about more than just meat raising goals, and they are happy with their choices.

#4 2017-04-07 09:34:52

lornem
Growing Member

If you are looking for supermarket compact carcass then yes Cornish Cross Broilers are the best and fastest way to fill the freezer.
However if you consider flavour and health etc. then there are breeds and crosses that can grow into nice table birds. Our Malines x Orpington x Cornish crosses selected for weight gain and size easily dress out to 7-8 lbs. for cockerals in 18-20 weeks. They are slower growing but the taste far exceeds the broilers and for me is worth it.

Better to be dumb as a stump and learn as you go,...than to be a know it all and get stumped:

Live and learn while thinking outside the box.

#5 2017-04-07 10:35:05

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

We have raised both as meat birds.  While I love the idea of raising heritage birds, they just don't compare to the Cornish cross/Frankenbirds.  We raise a 4 to 5 groups of 25, during the year.  This past processing we were surprised.  Now, the weather is such that the birds did not get outside to roam around as much as we hoped, AND, we were 2 weeks later with processing (because we missed our processing date due to our grandson's birth), these birds dressed out heavy.  Up to 8 1/2 pounds heavy.  That's great for us but, our customers like them a bit smaller.  The birds were just a few days over 16 weeks old when processed.  I thought they would be tough and dry.  Nope, delicious!!!!!  :letseat:

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#6 2017-04-07 16:30:08

jocelyn
A.C.E. Addicted

We are getting the frankenbirds again this year.  Got the chick days card on the fridge.
We still kill extra heritage roos to eat, but the frankenbirds are the roasters and half birds for sandwiches.
I shovel clay/earth into the wading pool we start them in, figure it gives them shotgun style vaccination to everything going, grin.  Keep umm warm, lots of warm water to drink the first day, put some honey in it if they seem dry and hungry, then pray, grin

#7 2017-04-11 06:58:28

debbiej
I Love A.C.E.

I've raised Freedom Rangers for many years, they are great meat birds, large tender tastey birds.Dressing out between 6 and 10 lbs. I butchered 10  Dorking cockerals, at 20 weeks that were tender and tastey, they dressed out at 5 lbs.
Last year I missed out on the Cobb Sasso so I got Frankenbirds. I never lost a one. They all made it to butcher day no
health problems. They dressed out between 5 and 7 pounds smaller than usual, but tender tastey birds.
This year Im on the list for Cobb Sasso, similar to FRs and Kosher Kings. I'll let you all know how they work out.
I do like the Freedom Rangers just the cost of getting them to the Island is high.

Euskal Oiloa,  Dorkings,  Guinea Fowl , 2 Boston Terriers & 1 Rottweiler

#8 2017-04-11 17:54:51

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Do you bring the Cobb Sasso in from the States? I didn't think they had a distributor in Canada.

#9 2017-04-12 03:13:13

farmerrick

Belgium Cuckoo Malines!!!!

Aylesburies, Bielefelders, Cuckoo Malines, Katahdin/Dorper Sheep, Alpacas,Horses, Donkey, Dogs,Cats-1Great Wife
Mickle's Hill Farm
West Kootenays
British Columbia

#10 2017-04-12 13:23:36

BobG
A.C.E. Addicted

Shane 99 A former member of this forum Omega Blue on Vancouver Island is now hatching and selling Sasso chicks  I think its his first year with them he has a website Omega Blue Farms. His facebook page has much more info as he has not updated his website to include the Sasso

Last edited by BobG (2017-04-12 13:32:52)

#11 2017-04-15 05:59:09

debbiej
I Love A.C.E.

Sorry, I'm slow getting back to you. Wayne does have Sassos.

Reliable Poultry at Black Creek Vancouver Island sell an assortment of meat birds. I've ordered Cobb Sasso, they also have  Kosher Kings and French Type Meat Birds. Shaun dnd Tracey easy to deal with and reasonably priced.

http://www.reliablepoultryservice.com/m … hicks.html

Black Creek is outside Courtenay on the way to Campbell River

Euskal Oiloa,  Dorkings,  Guinea Fowl , 2 Boston Terriers & 1 Rottweiler

#12 2017-04-15 15:55:33

GalaBoys
Banned

farmerrick wrote:

Belgium Cuckoo Malines!!!!

I'm not entirely sure the Malines live up to their potential. There have been a few people that have reported the size of the carcass at 24 weeks, and it's no larger than those of my personal line of Partridge Chanteclers - the main advantage of the Partridge Chantecler being that if you wanted to keep breeding stock year-round, the Partridge Chantecler is extremely winter hardy (compared to the large single comb of a Malines rooster), and they would eat less through the winter, being a smaller bird who finishes growing in a shorter period of time.

My PC cockerels are generally 5-6 lbs by 24 weeks old. I weighed some 10 month old pullets recently and they were 8 lbs. A little large for the standard, but my main goal is to eat them.

Gala Partridge Chanteclers - see us on facebook
Maker of chicken saddles, fan of evidence-based poultry keeping.
2018 St. Paul Critter Market - May 19, 2018 - find our group on facebook

#13 2017-04-15 22:38:38

lornem
Growing Member

I have to disagree on the anti Malines post. My Malines are very winter hardy and laying % all winter has been better than the Orpingtons. They are single comb but not
a large comb by any standard. As far as weight gain, at 22-24 weeks the rooster dress out to 7-9 lbs., hens 6-7 lbs. On the downside the carcass is not as compact as CornishX commercial birds.
I am also having some good results on my Malines x Orpington x Standard Cornish lines. (A work in progress)

Better to be dumb as a stump and learn as you go,...than to be a know it all and get stumped:

Live and learn while thinking outside the box.

#14 2017-04-16 00:17:56

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

There's a bit of an apples /oranges thing going here. When I talked about Cornish Cross weighing 10 - 12 lbs I was talking dressed weights.

Board footer