AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#16 2017-05-13 03:37:49

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Re: So...how does one transport a peacock, anyway?

I did a paper years ago on menus in the Middle Ages and peacock was often the centre piece at feasts - they would skin it, roast it then put the skin (and tail) back on.  I imagine it was very decorative and tasted a bit like.... chicken?

Crofton Transport used to be great about bringing small animals and birds from the Island up the Interior, she has a regular route.  Check her FB page, she does mostly horses but when she has space will do smaller animals.

So I picked up a peacock and a peahen for the neighbours - husband had bought the pair as a surprise BD present for wife. He didn't tell me I not only would collect them from the airport but had to keep them for a week until the BD. I had them in a big crate in the barn but while feeding them one day the male pushed past me and flew away.  They can really fly when they want to!  I felt awful, being a gift and all.  He landed up the ridgeline of the barn, walking up and down.   But I kept the female in the crate and left only one barn door open, eventually (days it took) the male came back in the barn to see his mate and I closed the door.  Then cornered him and caught him by throwing a big tarp over him.  A bed sheet would have thrown better.  Like most birds I've chased once they are under a sheet/tarp they just stop moving. Then you can pick him up wrapped in the sheet.   Lucky it was the day before the birthday - just in time. I was relieved to see them go!

I'd set up a net cage like one you would put over a raspberry bush, with just one entrance. Seed inside. Maybe that would work eventually.  Or gradually entice them into a building with just one door (not the house, preferably).

Beltsville Small White Turkeys  -White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep, Kerry cows and Canadienne cattle
www.tatlayokofold.com

#17 2017-05-15 14:42:48

Chickeroo
I Love A.C.E.

Trish won't do poultry - I've tried with her in the past! I will keep your catching tactics in mind - I won't be moved there until end of the summer, so I have some time to prepare!

#18 2017-05-15 23:01:09

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Oh Trish!  She won't do horned animals either!!!

Maybe try Carolyn at HoovesnHounds.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys  -White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep, Kerry cows and Canadienne cattle
www.tatlayokofold.com

#19 2017-05-16 02:51:34

Chickeroo
I Love A.C.E.

heda gobbler wrote:

Oh Trish!  She won't do horned animals either!!!

Maybe try Carolyn at HoovesnHounds.

Good idea - she has offered to do turkeys for me in the past!

Board footer