AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-05-18 13:05:36

Robbie
A.C.E. Addicted

Mystery white chicks

I recently had a hen hatch out some chicks. Five of the seven are white or very pale buff. I cannot figure out how this happened! Dad is a Buckeye/production red cross. He has the dominant white gene, so he is red with white wing primaries and tail. Moms are the same, red and white, or with a black tail and wings. The breeding of the red and white/red and black  crosses are half Buckeye, the other half a mix of RIR,  New Hampshire and Rhode Island white. I also have some Cornish/Buckeye cross hens, and the hen has hatched out two brown chipmunky chicks, as I would expect. I assume the rooster has only one copy of the dominant white gene, as the chipmunk chicks will be black and brown.
So the possible parentage of the white  chicks is red/one copy dominant white rooster dad, red/one or two or no copies of dominant white for mom hens. I do have some buff rocks but I don't think I set any of their eggs. Their eggs are small and tinted and easily recognized.  But, it's possible and in that case I would expect buff chicks.
Can anyone figure out how to get white chicks using the chicken calculator with these parents? I haven't. The chicks are still young, I think they are all going to be pullets, but I see no red feathers yet. Any thoughts?

#2 2017-05-18 23:09:00

shaneb99
A.C.E. Addicted

Re: Mystery white chicks

Not knowing the specific genetics of those breeds I had to guess. I figure that because they are based on 2 red birds and a white bird and look red and white the underlying black must be some combination of partridge, eb/eb, medium brown not extended black or wheaten or they would be either solid red or creme.  Because Buckeyes and New Hampshire are both deep red I'm guessing they carry mahogany Mh/Mh. You say they carry Dominant White I, but not all the chicks are white so I'm guessing again it's split I/i+. The white parent Rhode Island White is the source of the Dominant White but pure white birds often carry Recessive White as well to make them white white that's represented by c/c, but again because only some chicks are white I'm guessing split C+/c.  They both carry the Columbian gene which pushes colour out to the edges of the bird.  And they are all gold based s+/s+

Putting that all together you get eb/eb Co/Co s+/s+ Mh/Mh I/i+ C+/c. Putting it in the calculator and you get about 10 possible combinations of which 3 are white being:
eb/eb s+/s+ Mh/Mh I/I c/c
eb/eb s+/s+ Mh/Mh I/i+ c/c
eb/eb s+/s+ Mh/Mh i+/i+ c/c

Any of the combinations without c/c will be either red or red/white like the parents.

Last edited by shaneb99 (2017-05-19 04:20:54)

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff & Blue Brahmas, Black, Blue & Silver Laced Cochins, Black Copper, Blue Copper,  Blue & Wheaten Marans, Silkies & an ever changing flock of Call & Silver Appleyard Ducks, Geese, Muscovies, Turkeys, Guineas and Peafowl.  2 Akbash Maremma guardians keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#3 2017-05-19 00:53:49

Robbie
A.C.E. Addicted

Ok thank you! That explains the white chicks. Although five out of seven is astonishing!

Last edited by Robbie (2017-05-19 00:56:02)

#4 2017-05-19 12:01:59

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Cool.  Leave it to ACE members to figure things out.  We would love to see pictures!

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

Board footer