AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-05-15 17:37:01

uno
I Love A.C.E.
Website

Cleaning foam bators - by accident.

I have a white Styrofoam cooler that I wanted to use for something but I had stored my dahlia tubers in it over winter and it was dirty. Even after rinsing and wiping with a bleachy cloth, there was still gunge packed into the little pores and crevices of the foam. It just looked grubby.

This is the same look my foam bator gets, despite cleaning it in the bathtub after each hatch.

I took a small mist bottle, the kind you squirt your windows with, filled it with hot water and getting right in close I blasted the gungy spots. Guess what ?! It blasted that dirt right out of the crevices and pores. I was impressed!

I have not applied this method to my bator, but I think it would work equally as well, considering they are made of the same materials.

You cannot gently mist the dirt, no, that will not work. You have to get right up close, aim at the yucky spot and BLAST that squirter at it. Blow that dirt out with water pressure! This requires a fair bit of wrist action and may not be great for those with carpal tunnel issues. So use at your own risk! But I think this would work well to un-gunge bators that might not be getting as clean as they could be. Viva la squirty bottle!

Last edited by uno (2017-05-15 17:38:26)

#2 2017-05-15 18:34:10

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Cleaning foam bators - by accident.

And after you've done that I use hydrogen peroxide from the $store. SPray that all over and allow to dry.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#3 2017-05-15 23:02:19

heda gobbler
I Love A.C.E.
Website

I might try white vinegar.

Beltsville Small White Turkeys - White Chantecler chickens and Buckeye chickens
Highland Cattle, Shetland Sheep and Kerry cows.
www.tatlayokofold.com

#4 2017-05-19 16:55:18

Pippin'
Growing Member

Do BOTH vinegar AND peroxide: Kills just as good as anything else!

#5 2017-05-22 17:00:36

niglefritz

Great! I will use that in just over a week. I am on day 13 of my second incubating adventure. :thumbsup: Looking good so far!

I figured that a scrub brush/toothbrush would only tear apart the foam, so was at a loss at what to do with the gunk specks.

I have used strong vinegar (Allan's Double Strength 10%) on mine. I got it in the cleaning supplies section at Peavy Mart.

FOCUS: blue JG, copper marans FUN: silkies, ameraucana, guinea, muscovy, runners, Eggs: hybrid RIR
WTB: SP SUSSEX; IR: Black, white, & fawn & white hens; Cayuga
My Daughter's Shop: feathers & more create beautiful accessories: www.etsy.com/shop/DreamOfMustangsMB ;horse;

Board footer