AlbertaChickensEtc

Canadian Poultry Forum Chickens, Eggs, Cattle, Goats, Sheep, Horses, Pets - Across Canada For Sale And Want Ads Forum - Register - Login - And Come On In - Post Your Ad Or Just Chat! image

You are not logged in.

Announcement

A.C.E. Now Has Over THREE THOUSAND Members across Canada! Find Your Province And Say Hello To Us! ALL MEMBERS ARE TO INCLUDE THEIR LOCATION IN THEIR PROFILE .... CLICK ON "PROFILE" ON THE TOP BLUE BAR THEN CLICK ON "PERSONAL" image PRIVATE MESSAGING AND USER LIST WILL NOT BE AVAILABLE TO NEW MEMBERS UNTIL THEIR STATUS BECOMES GROWING MEMBER.

#1 2017-05-19 16:45:09

vic's chicks
A.C.E. Addicted

Egg bound duck

I found my duck this morning struggling to lay an egg without any results. Her vent is swollen anpurple like she has a hemorroid . I put her in warm water, all I had was coconut oil so put that in her vent. The egg is right there but she can't get it out. The last few days her eggs feel rough and dry with a few bumps on them, not the usual smoothness. Is there anything else I can do. It has been about two hours since  I  started treating her. I read something about syringing calcium into her but not sure why or if I should try it.

enjoying a small flock of chickens Barnevelders Buff Sussex, Orpingtons Barred Rocks and Wyandottes and belgian malines,  with my husband, a golden retriever,black lab , one cat. and occasionally our 4 kids , their partners, and 6 grandchildren.

#2 2017-05-19 17:23:00

shaneb99
I Love A.C.E.

Re: Egg bound duck

I can't see how calcium would do anything. I think the coconut oil in the vent should help. Be careful not to break the egg. I wonder if you gave her an enema? Flood her vent with warm water?

Last edited by shaneb99 (2017-05-19 17:23:40)

Feather Feet - Light, Dark, Buff, Blue & Silver Laced Brahmas. And a whole bunch of other stuff plus 2 Akbash Maremma guardians who keep watch and a very patient wife who tries to keep me grounded.

#3 2017-05-19 18:27:19

vic's chicks
A.C.E. Addicted

I haven't read anything that talks about that but hmm. I wonder.  I wish I understood more about duck anatomy. The egg is right there but she is so swollen from pushing that I don't think the vent will stretch enough because of the swelling. I am going to try prep.H to try to get the swelling down.

enjoying a small flock of chickens Barnevelders Buff Sussex, Orpingtons Barred Rocks and Wyandottes and belgian malines,  with my husband, a golden retriever,black lab , one cat. and occasionally our 4 kids , their partners, and 6 grandchildren.

#4 2017-05-20 05:06:04

vic's chicks
A.C.E. Addicted

I checked her at eight, the egg was protruding slightly. We oiled her again and tried massaging and stretching the opening to no avail. I thought she might be prolapsed. My daughter was here at the time and wanted to try to collapse the egg . We thought she may not make it anyway so why not try. I went out to get her and miraculously the egg was on the floor. I was almost as relieved as she was. She doesn't appear to be prolapsed . I don't know what will happen tomorrow, but tonight I will sleep.

#5 2017-05-20 11:21:34

Robbie
A.C.E. Addicted

:thumbsup:

#6 2017-05-20 11:54:45

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

WHy not put some Prep H on anyway to try to bring down any swelling? Glad to hear she passed the egg!

Last edited by killerbunny (2017-05-20 11:55:06)

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#7 2017-05-20 20:34:44

vic's chicks
A.C.E. Addicted

She now has another egg that won't come out.  I was hoping the stress of this would stop her from laying for a couple of days but no such luck. I did put prep h on her last night.

#8 2017-05-20 21:08:11

susanr

Glad to hear she passed the egg - finally.  Sorry to hear she is going through it all again.  Hope this egg passes as well.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#9 2017-05-21 00:32:56

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

How is she now?  Has she passed the second egg?

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

#10 2017-05-21 01:24:19

vic's chicks
A.C.E. Addicted

No, she hasn't.  We are going to put her down here pretty quick.  I don't think this problem is going to resolve itself. i feel so sad for the drake . They are so bonded. He has not left her side today. I have had to take food to him because he won't leave her to eat.

#11 2017-05-21 01:56:05

susanr

Sorry to hear you have to put her down.  If it is a recurring problem though, sometimes you have to do what is best for the animal.  Having livestock really sucks sometimes.  Poor drake .crying.  Hope you can find a girlfriend for her soon.

Friend to 2 house cats, 3 long-haired mini dachshunds, one outside cat, one guard dog, a few Dorking chickens, several  Isa Brown laying hens, some mutt chickens and 3 mules.  Jobs include gardener and assistant bee keeper.

#12 2017-05-21 10:23:45

killerbunny
I Love A.C.E.

So sorry, never an easy thing.

Mixed collection of chickens, trio of Blue Columbian Wyandottes,BSW turkeys.
RIP Lucky the Very Brave splash Wyandotte rooster.
RIP little Muppet the rescue cat.

#13 2017-05-21 21:39:21

Martin Grove Farm
Administrator

Oh dear.  Sorry that it came to that.  There is a time when the decision to not let something suffer comes along.  This happens to be one of those times.   I hope the drake will manage without his ladylove.

"I never learned from a man who agreed with me".~~Robert A. Heinlein.
“Whatever you do in life, surround yourself with smart people who'll argue with you.” - John Wooden
May every word that we speak, and every word that we type, be words that lift up and never words that tear down

Board footer